E3 2011 was an embarrassment. And Apple's laughing loudest.

Your comments on our articles.

The once-mighty core games industry's playing catch-up, argues Tim Ingham...

"The graveyard of any industry is filled with the headstones of companies who decided to keep doing things the same old way; playing only on the margin, making things just a little bit better. That strategy works for a while - but ultimately it's fatal."... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby yerbluesjohn » 14 Jun 2011, 16:14

I don't think Tim Ingham actually believes much of what's in this article. Seems like one of those deliberately controversial statements designed to spark a bit of discussion. Apple haven't done anything that groundbreaking since the first iPhone, and that is deliberately neutered to help them make more money.
yerbluesjohn 64

Postby lordirongut » 14 Jun 2011, 16:22

I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree entirely. I'm still not keen on the idea of cloud based gaming and I'd always sooner play my PS3, 360, PSP or DS than any iPhone game.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 68

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby originalbadboy » 14 Jun 2011, 16:29

Seriously ... ??

Come on, are you in some way implying that Apple has more innovation and a better future than what the games industry is currently offering? Er I dont think so.

Apple got lucky over the last couple of years, granted, yes they have a large 'selection' of apps if thats your thing I suppose. But to try and compare the two and say that Apple are currently coming out on top is just complete nonsense, really it is.

The games industry is going through tough times, its hard to make 'original' games when they have all been done before. Originality is a thing of the past I am afraid. I dont see anything on the 'app' store that is anything more original than what anybody else is offering. Its all bite sized chunks of gaming that is fine for a quick 5 min blast but nothing that I would call a 'game'. Yeah Angry Birds is an exception but that is about it, and its no longer an exclusive on the Apple brand thats for sure.

If people think that in some way Apple's way of bringing gaming to the masses is the future of the gaming industry, then in all honesty I will give up gaming, because thats a sad state of affairs if true.
Check out my Halo Reach forge maps on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/originalbadboy32?feature=mhsn
originalbadboy 47

Xbox Live: originalbadboy

Re: E3 2011 was an embarrassment. And Apple's laughing loude

Postby Malmo » 14 Jun 2011, 16:31

I fail to see how it was an embarrassment. People expect way too much from E3, they are suddenly gonna have a massive amount of new games and a new console every year. They showed off the vita, as expected cos it was already announced. Nintendo showed off their new console, or at least what they could because its in the early stages, and developers showed off the games they are working on, some we knew about, some we didn't. Its the same thing every year yet for some reason expect there to be something amazing?

Gamers are not gonna be turning in game consoles or handhelds in exhange for an apple product any time soon. Apple sure have a big market for indie gaming, and the iphone and the latest android smartphones are picking up a good market for handheld gaming what with some quality 3D titles coming out nowadays. However i still believe that at the moment, they aren't taking much from the actual game console industry because the service still isn't really comparable. For a start handhelds have buttons which actually allow control scheme that works. Lets face it, basically all the high end games on iphone or other smartphones have compromised controls that are made to scrape into the realm of 'playable' and very little else.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Postby Bazcube85 » 14 Jun 2011, 16:33

E3 may have been a bit poor this year but as for apple laughing at the games industry what innovations have there come up with other than the ipod touch because that is all they have done as there other device are based on the ipod touch just with different uses.
Bazcube85 39

Xbox Live: Bazcube85

Postby Smeggysmeg » 14 Jun 2011, 16:34

I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree entirely. I'm still not keen on the idea of cloud based gaming and I'd always sooner play my PS3, 360, PSP or DS than any iPhone game.

I totally agree. Bar the few games such as Tiny wings i would much rather play a console game. Mobile phone games are great for a few minutes but tire really quickly. The problem is how long is it before casual gaming brings home the cheese for these game companies and they jump ship to where they can make the most money. There is no loyalty in gaming, we can see from the likes of Activision that its about making the most money possible. I was around when i was buying my dizzy games for a couple of quid of the sunday market. I fear for the core gamer industry if all we can do is make a big song and dance about sequels of sequels of sequels......But it supports connect....Happy happy joy joy
Smeggysmeg 20

Postby a_adji » 14 Jun 2011, 16:37

This has t be one of the most stupidest articles I have read today and this year.
We (westerners) need to get over ourselves and Geeks who have finally fount a voice defiantly need to give over.

I have an iphone and it's only suitable for short bursts of play, racing games, tetris, fruit ninja, angry bird and that's it especially when it is only touch screen the lay out is orchard and it drains my battery.

I could not imagine playing Gears of war or God of war or mario, zelda and uncharted n an iphone padd and having that same experience or level of depth. Articles like this make me think some people are either board or need to get out more or find a woman.

It kills me more so when they have not even experienced anything. the internet has created allot of bedroom journalists who just right with out n research or substance. You can not compare a iphone to a console or a pc no more then you can compare a dessert eagle to a water gun and I wish stupid things like this article and the person who wrote it would not be giving such attention, it's a waste of my and I am sure allot f peoples time.
a_adji 47

Postby TechnoWolf » 14 Jun 2011, 16:43

...whats the point in this article? I thought the Wii U was pretty innovative, and looks completely different to a Ipad. Cloud based gaming is not going to work well yet because we all don't have a good enough connection. Oh and Apple sucks.
TechnoWolf 61

Postby nathar » 14 Jun 2011, 16:44

Apple don't laugh. They cackle maniacally.
nathar 47

Postby PS360MAN » 14 Jun 2011, 16:45

Take the Apple point out for a second (thats a little far fetched) and read that reggie quote. i agree that on hardware it was a letdown.
PS360MAN 39

Postby GTCzeero » 14 Jun 2011, 16:49

There were a lot of games that made me optimistic for the future of my PS3, 360 and 3DS, not to mention some intriguing new tech in the form of the Vita (I'm not so keen on the WiiU, but I'll include that too). I have seen nothing that would make me want to shell out for an Apple product.

Plus, It'll be many a year before you see a game like Skyrim on an iPhone.
GTCzeero 31

Postby KieranTC » 14 Jun 2011, 16:55

The article is baffling to say the least. It talks about lack of innovation and then calls Apple's iCloud service a show stopper....

Erm, Cloud based services aren't exactly new, all Apple have done is put their trademark "i" before a word.

I get the feeling the author of this piece is the type of douche that buys into anything Apple and Steve Jobs sells you.
KieranTC 35

Xbox Live: K T C
PSN ID: KieranTC

Postby Welsh Jester » 14 Jun 2011, 16:55

if anyone wants decent hardware they should buy a gaming PC, simple as that.. people moan about spending a grand on hardware but they waste money on fags/booze and god knows what else when they could be enjoying themselves instead of ruining their health so badly. plus get better games than on any console
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby dragonjim » 14 Jun 2011, 16:56

Because E3, E3 never changes.
dragonjim 31

Postby kirinnokoshin » 14 Jun 2011, 16:57

To follow on from the above post, it's funny how Apple fans seem to immediately compare the Wii U with the iPad because of the 'look'. Could this be attributed to the fact that the physical aesthetics of a technology device is largely all the typical Apple fan cares about?

Video games are a separate entity, Apple are not a video games company, do not understand them and as such will never be a genuine threat to true video games systems manufacturers until they are able to convince publishers that they can actually make MONEY out of the app store. At the moment the average app nets 700 bucks a piece....
kirinnokoshin 48

Next