Sony 'always open' to third-party PS3 exclusives

Your comments on our articles.

But SCEE boss thinks exclusive focus is declining

Sony Computer Entertainment is "always open" to third-party exclusives, European boss Andrew House has told CVG.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony 'always open' to third-party PS3 exclusives

Postby gobbybobby » 13 Jun 2011, 11:39

Dust looks great

gonna be a vita version as well.
gobbybobby 45

Xbox Live: gobbybobby
PSN ID: gobbybobby
Steam: gobbybobby
Battle.net: gobbybobby
xFire: gobbybobby

Re: Sony 'always open' to third-party PS3 exclusives

Postby ensabahnur » 13 Jun 2011, 12:00

I think thats due to the fact that there is no console right out in front now and there's just too much to be made from going multi-plat.
The only exclusives will be from internal developers, anyone not associated with either Sony, MS or Nintendo will look at the field of play and decide that there's just too much money to be made from supplying to all 3 or just the 2.

MGS HD collection and MGS:Rising is proof that previously exclusive franchises are loosing that tag.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby _Marty_ » 13 Jun 2011, 12:12

From a developer/publisher perspective, I really question the point of bringing out an exclusive game. Why limit your audience size, when there's no real technical reason why it couldn't go to either.
I'm for one am glad 'exclusives' are waning.
NEO ANARCHIST AND BEST BANG SINCE THE BIG ONE

"RIP my baby kitty - forever in our hearts"
_Marty_ 59

Xbox Live: Da Sausageman

Postby Rise_ofthe_Mike » 13 Jun 2011, 12:17

MGS has never been exclusive...MGS:Rising isn't even being done by Kojima. MGS has been on a lot of different consoles over the years including two Nintendo consoles, Sony's consoles, Microsoft's original x-box, and even the turbo. So yeah, MGS is not a good game to point to in that regard. Also, if you look at every game to come to a system other than Sony, since the PS1...none of them have been from Kojima. Remakes, Rising, etc...all done by other people on his team. Hell, if you look back..every game that is considered to suck in his MGS franchise..was done by his team and not the man himself. Something to think about.
Rise_ofthe_Mike 32

Postby ensabahnur » 13 Jun 2011, 12:39

Rise_ofthe_Mike wrote:MGS has never been exclusive...MGS:Rising isn't even being done by Kojima. MGS has been on a lot of different consoles over the years including two Nintendo consoles, Sony's consoles, Microsoft's original x-box, and even the turbo. So yeah, MGS is not a good game to point to in that regard. Also, if you look at every game to come to a system other than Sony, since the PS1...none of them have been from Kojima. Remakes, Rising, etc...all done by other people on his team. Hell, if you look back..every game that is considered to suck in his MGS franchise..was done by his team and not the man himself. Something to think about.
No it wasn't the greatest choice but i couldn't think of anything else and tbh all the original games were released as exclusives. On original release the MGS series was PS exclusive for a time being, it was near 6 years before Twin Snakes was released, a year for MGS2: Substance on xbox and MGS3 was completely exclusive as was Peace Walker.

Whereas the collected edition and Rising will be same day releases on both systems, a first for the series.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby gmcb007 » 13 Jun 2011, 13:18

Theres only 2 types of people who really benefit from exclusives: Fanboys and the Console's company.

I understand games coming from the studios owned by the console's company but third party devs should stay multiplat. They risk losing a big slice of profits by excluding a platform.

All exclusives do is segregate the gaming community. I know people say it keeps the competiton healthy and we get the benefits but how is it a benefit if we have to shell out on another console just to play certain games?

Exclusives are the biggest competiton between the big 2 at the moment because its the only real thing to get the upper hand( lets be honest, theres not much difference in specs between the PS3 & Xbox 360). If they were not used then they would have to focus more on offering the cheapest price and better specs and that would benefit us all.

Communism in gaming! Every gamer is equal! :o
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Reality Check » 13 Jun 2011, 13:40

I prefer PS3 Exclusives. The more the better. Nearly all the games that where PS2 Exclusives then went to the Xbox 360 + PS3 this gen have mainly been rubbish i.e GTA + FF etc etc
Reality Check 18

Postby PS3Tard » 13 Jun 2011, 13:42

Exclusives only tend to be worthwhile if they are actually any good... there were plenty of PS3 fanboys raving about "Haze" until it was released and turned out to be as playable as a freshly laid turd.
PS3Tard 24

Postby PS3Tard » 13 Jun 2011, 13:45

Reality Check wrote:I prefer PS3 Exclusives. The more the better. Nearly all the games that where PS2 Exclusives then went to the Xbox 360 + PS3 this gen have mainly been rubbish i.e GTA + FF etc etc

Last gens GTA's were only timed exclusives which were better on the Xbox, more detail, custom soundtrack, better graphics etc... and there hasn't been a truly great FF since VII back on the PS1... the best FF games were all pre-PlayStation on the old Nintendo machines.
PS3Tard 24

Postby HeavenlyGamer » 13 Jun 2011, 13:53

_Marty_ wrote:From a developer/publisher perspective, I really question the point of bringing out an exclusive game. Why limit your audience size, when there's no real technical reason why it couldn't go to either.
I'm for one am glad 'exclusives' are waning.

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the amount of money they get payed to do so. As they'll be guaranteed to receive money for their game, apposed to hoping a multi platform game will do well when it's released (and risking the chance of losing money when the game doesn't doesn't deliver them more than the whole R&D process has cost them).
HeavenlyGamer 44

Postby MrPirtniw » 13 Jun 2011, 14:03

I was going to type something incredibly witty and clever then I saw HeavenlyGamers avatar... and I'm... a bit... hypno...

Sorry, what?
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby julioaragon » 13 Jun 2011, 14:44

PS3Tard wrote:Exclusives only tend to be worthwhile if they are actually any good... there were plenty of PS3 fanboys raving about "Haze" until it was released and turned out to be as playable as a freshly laid turd.

i agree on your comments both the 360 and the ps3 have equal amount of great exclusives..so this whole rubbish about one console having more than the other is pointless...
julioaragon 31

Postby TheLastDodo » 13 Jun 2011, 15:06

When he says "3rd party exclusives", is he slyly saying 360 exclusives?
TheLastDodo 77

Postby KippDynamite » 13 Jun 2011, 17:31

Exclusives set platforms apart from each other. If it wasn't for Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc., I would never buy Nintendo consoles.
KippDynamite 49

PSN ID: KippDynamite

Postby PS3UberTool » 13 Jun 2011, 17:48

julioaragon wrote:
PS3Tard wrote:Exclusives only tend to be worthwhile if they are actually any good... there were plenty of PS3 fanboys raving about "Haze" until it was released and turned out to be as playable as a freshly laid turd.

i agree on your comments both the 360 and the ps3 have equal amount of great exclusives..so this whole rubbish about one console having more than the other is pointless...

This is probably the first generation where it's not necessary to buy all the machines, so many of the big titles are multi-format that we're talking a handful of games on each machine that are exclusive and even then there's generally a similar alternative on the other machine.

At the same time both machines have sold enough for developers to justify working on both machines, it's not one machine dominated the market as the PS2 did.
PS3UberTool 31

Next