Wii U related Nintendo share slump is 'strange' - Iwata

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo CEO says people need to play the new console to understand it

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata seems bamboozled by the slump in Nintendo's share prices following the Wii U reveal at the company's E3 press conference this week.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby spam23 » 10 Jun 2011, 10:55

Maybe if they had introduced the console rather than a controller which looks to be another accessory for the Wii this confusion could have been avoided.
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby Obscure_Metaphor » 10 Jun 2011, 11:02

thing is.... after my initial interest, i've realised what it really is.... Its just a DS for your front room. It literally does what a DS can do, with better graphics. and to be honest, it doesnt actually feel that revolutionary, and also, it has drawbacks. I get the feeling i wouldnt play many games this way, id just end up using the wiimote if its an option, and using the new controller just as a big clever tv remote.

and to be honest, i just dont see the point in upgrading my wii (which i barely touch) to play games i can already buy on my other two consoles.

in short, it feels like half a console.
Obscure_Metaphor 40

Re: Wii U related Nintendo share slump is 'strange' - Iwata

Postby cooloneuk » 10 Jun 2011, 11:08

Maybe if Nintendo actually had working consoles at the conference for ppl to see in the flesh, could have made a difference in the market shares. Maybe if they have fully operational consoles with playable demos next year should see a huge turn around
cooloneuk 39

Xbox Live: AndyDavies78
Wii Code: 1426 7991 5515 4745

Postby JakeyBaby » 10 Jun 2011, 13:15

Stock marketers clearly predict that the public isn't done jumping around the living room looking like tits. Maybe they would have been happier if they introduced Wii while U work, or Wii fit on the go, so you could move the process of looking like a nob to exciting new areas. Imagine the possibilities!
They clearly should have announced a release date for the vitality sensor to keep them happy.
JakeyBaby 32

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 10 Jun 2011, 13:21

I bet the PSP2 and PS3 can do the same exact thing as this.
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Postby ingy » 10 Jun 2011, 13:57

I don't get the pad, to attract us so called core gamers then surely you need a decent comfortable std pad, and if you use it in conjuction with a tv then it's a distraction to have to take you eyes off the screen.

In my opinion nintendo have made a mint out of selling gimmicks, first the wii with it's wavy hand nonsense, and now with a touch screen pad, both items are a bit pants but you can't help but want one.

I think sony and microsoft must have breathed a sigh of relief when they saw this, they can now plod on with the current gen for a good few years yet.
ingy 64

Postby TheLastDodo » 10 Jun 2011, 14:16

I really don't get the big deal around this. I don't see the need for this "innovation" or certainly not in the way Nintendo seem to be going about.

Nintendo have made a new console that you can play on a smaller screen than the one you probably play on now :|. Whats the point?

It would be really cool if I could say play a game at home on my HDTV, transfer the game to the controller and be able to play the game while I'm on the bus, stuck at the airport, having to stay in hospital etc.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby liveswired » 10 Jun 2011, 18:29

While Wii U is definitely a fantastic piece of kit.

I'm not interested in the Wiimote, the Kinect or the 'Wii' Move. Why? I want to play games the way I always have. The same goes for watching TV or going to the Cinema.

Luckily the Wii U caters for this idea - You could switch on the console and play games on the controller while the missus watches corrie on tv. GREAT!

Though I won't be throwing out my ps3 just yet - Nintendo need to show some 3rd party support and hopefully the machine should be 1080p native (not the current 600/720p on most ps3/360 games or fake 1080 in GT5) If games aren't 1080 native I won't bother.
^_* ^_^
liveswired 52

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired

Postby Balladeer » 10 Jun 2011, 20:39

Sigh. Iwata, there's a massive confusion over exactly what it was. Show them some third-party games, release some impressive tech specs, price it competitively and watch the price claw its way back up.

Besides, does no one else think that Nintendo's shares problem rose dramatically in the run-up to E3 off the Café hype? And that they're now just settling down?
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby scottabc » 12 Jun 2011, 19:53

Its pretty simple: the controller might be nice but it just doesnt change the fact that Nintendo is arriving four years late to the current generation.
scottabc 30

Postby Agent75 » 12 Jun 2011, 22:34

It's sad that Nintendo went on and on about the controller, plus the games are just the same old. And the controller is the main reason why the console is going to be expensive at launch, more so in Europe. Iwata and co. are heading in the wrong direction. Shares slumped due to Wii sales being down by 70%+, slow sales of the 3DS haven't helped, Wii U is going to be closer to £399, so that's going to help the slump along.
Agent75 49

Postby Agent75 » 12 Jun 2011, 22:38

ingy wrote:I don't get the pad, to attract us so called core gamers then surely you need a decent comfortable std pad, and if you use it in conjuction with a tv then it's a distraction to have to take you eyes off the screen.

In my opinion nintendo have made a mint out of selling gimmicks, first the wii with it's wavy hand nonsense, and now with a touch screen pad, both items are a bit pants but you can't help but want one.

I think sony and microsoft must have breathed a sigh of relief when they saw this, they can now plod on with the current gen for a good few years yet.

Most gamers just like a standard controller, but Nintendo just can't see it. Gimmicks should be extra, not included with the console to bump the price up. It makes me laugh that Nintendo expects gamers to use such a big controller, plus it's not exactly made for hardcore games/gamers is it? :|
Agent75 49

Postby Balladeer » 13 Jun 2011, 07:41

(sighs) Why isn't it for "hardcore gamers" (which is a stupid term anyway)? It has all the buttons the Wiimote lacked, and a touchscreen for inventory organisation/radar/whatever else they want to put there. Seems more "hardcore" than a straightforward controller to me.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78