to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Gran Turismo 5 update 1.10 brings major changes

Your comments on our articles.

Improved AI, new racing gear, online prizes, more

Sony's outlined a major Gran Turismo 5 update (1.10) that sees more than just a few tweaks and fixes come to the PS3 exclusive racer.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby collyboy187 » 08 Jun 2011, 17:07

I like. I love the arse of gt, but the A.I. has been pants since about gt3 (gt 1 and 2 had a certain degree of rubberbanding to keep things tight at least) so any imporvments in this area are welcome. The streamlining of buying parts is also welcome!
If its not worth doing, its not worth doing right!!
collyboy187 44

PSN ID: thecollyboy

Postby THE_LIBERTINE_ » 08 Jun 2011, 17:11

To late ! This is how it should have been released and maybe i would have not swapped it and 5 quid for kz3 in feb.
THE_LIBERTINE_ 5
New user

Re: Gran Turismo 5 update 1.10 brings major changes

Postby Gaseous Snake » 08 Jun 2011, 17:41

What the hell were they doing for 5 years so that the game still needs significant patching post-release?
Watch this, it had me in tears laughing:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/211e2f184a/metal-gear-awesome

Also, could people please tell me that they're from CVG in their friend requests, otherwise I won't accept them. Cheers.
Gaseous Snake 35

PSN ID: FERRARI_3

Postby Agent75 » 08 Jun 2011, 19:33

Is there an update to change the entire game? Outdated graphics in most areas, slow cars, dodgy gameplay, never in a million years is it a racing simulator. 5/6 years in development definetly shows.
Agent75 48

Postby alan666 » 08 Jun 2011, 20:45

stopped playing it months ago, i agree with the comments above.

one of the worst racing/driving games i have ever played.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby jim2wheels » 08 Jun 2011, 22:11

Go play your ridge racers ya pussies. GT is for hardcore racers only.
jim2wheels 68

PSN ID: jim2wheels

Postby Adam81uk » 08 Jun 2011, 22:37

jim2wheels wrote:Go play your ridge racers ya pussies. GT is for hardcore racers only.

How is GT hardcore? the AI drivers are next to useless, If you are driving a half competitive car expect to just see clear roads for 90% of the race. Then you have to keep redoing it several times just to try and get your rank up. Or are you refering to the exciting driver management mode? Keep telling yourself it's for hardcore racers and that you are special for sticking with it, the rest of us will play something fun, challenging and rewarding - 3 labels that GT distinctly fails on. Keep enjoying!
Adam81uk 40

Postby jim2wheels » 08 Jun 2011, 22:46

Adam81uk wrote:
jim2wheels wrote:Go play your ridge racers ya pussies. GT is for hardcore racers only.

How is GT hardcore? the AI drivers are next to useless, If you are driving a half competitive car expect to just see clear roads for 90% of the race. Then you have to keep redoing it several times just to try and get your rank up. Or are you refering to the exciting driver management mode? Keep telling yourself it's for hardcore racers and that you are special for sticking with it, the rest of us will play something fun, challenging and rewarding - 3 labels that GT distinctly fails on. Keep enjoying!

It all about handling and online for me - that's my opinion of having fun in racers. AI racers never cut the mustard in my opinion. In fairness, I was jesting on that post. People moaning about a game that a developer is going to continuously add too for a few years (and were not just talking about bug fixes neither) just shows you what a fickle lot gamers are.

Anyway, calm down kiddo. if you dont like GT so much, why read the article? It shouldn't even register a flicker if you know how crap it is.
jim2wheels 68

Postby nihilism » 09 Jun 2011, 01:16

i don't care what anyone says, my only complain is the stiff chase cam, i like the way its was in gt3, i know you can use cockpit or bumper view but there are the standard cars so my choice is the chase cam, they already had a built of the game without the locked cam, how come the final version has it? or at least give options to change it, or do 360 with the other stick. now laugh :oops:
nihilism 24

Postby Jensonjet » 09 Jun 2011, 06:01

I don't understand the issue people have with the AI.

The bigger problem is the poorly designed single player mode. Most of the time you're allowed to race in cars that are far more powerful than the AI has, which makes most of the game too easy.

A complaint I have about GT and pretty much every racing game are the pathetic amount of laps in each race. Seriously, five laps!!! Even ten is pointless. I can understand perhaps for the first couple of races sticking to ten, but as the game progresses the laps should start to increase so pretty soon into the game the races are twenty or thirty laps. If people really struggle to concentrate for that long, or don't have time, or find that amount of laps boring, then I'd suggest perhaps they're better suited to different genre of game!

The other end of the scale are the endurance races. It makes sense for the Le Mans race, and having a couple might be fun, but you'd be forgiven for thinking GT is determined to put a few gamers into comas! At the very least I'd like to have seen a bigger and better selection of tracks for the endurance races. One of GTs strengths is it's tracks but some are barely used. The amount of time you have to play for to afford some of the cars can really suck the fun out of playing. It's one of the few games that can turn a hobby into a chore.

Still, for me the biggest problem with the game lies with the producer! He has a poor eye for design. Those menus are terrible and some of those animations (and music for that matter) are just embarrassing. Almost as embarrassing as having fifty or so versions of the Skyline!

Saying that the handling and physics are outstanding (not including the rallying, which I think is dismal). So for all it's problems the two most important aspects of a racing game – handling and tracks – GT is untouchable. For everything else I think Polyphony would do well to invest in a 360 and check out Forza. Which apart from it's physics, handling and some poor track choices is an otherwise excellent game. And to finish on a positive note, I love the wet races.
Jensonjet 47

Postby budge » 09 Jun 2011, 09:00

Take it online to a well organised lobby with loads of good and fair racers and GT5 is outstanding!
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby jim2wheels » 09 Jun 2011, 17:23

budge wrote:Take it online to a well organised lobby with loads of good and fair racers and GT5 is outstanding!

Couldn't agree more. That's where the real racing is, not interested in AI races.
jim2wheels 68

Postby collyboy187 » 09 Jun 2011, 21:18

jim2wheels wrote:
budge wrote:Take it online to a well organised lobby with loads of good and fair racers and GT5 is outstanding!

Couldn't agree more. That's where the real racing is, not interested in AI races.

The problem with that is finding one!! That and my internet connection is absolute testicles means that I rarely venture online in gt. I can see the appeal, but personally the effort in dosnt match the output I get
If its not worth doing, its not worth doing right!!
collyboy187 44

PSN ID: thecollyboy

Postby jim2wheels » 10 Jun 2011, 10:49

GT fan sites - head to any of the larger ones to find fellow racers who want to play cleanly.

Can't help you with your hairy balled connection though...

P.s Virgin broadband is what all my friends use. Lost connection about 3 times in 2 years. Solid as a rock.
jim2wheels 68

Postby CDS » 02 Jul 2011, 13:00

I can understand some peoples complaints about Gran Turismo 5. But the one I have is the ridiculous career mode, and races where you need a certain car that is almost impossible to obtain, to start a championship. Not that I use the career mode much now.

One other thing is that if or when GT-PSV comes out, I just want a Championship Mode where we don't have to keep swapping cars just to compete in an otherwise useless race. Come on, admit it. Who struggled on that Japanese 80's cup because the only car they had was that annoying slow one? [Can't remember its name]
CDSMEDIA CDS BLOGS

Currently waiting for - Star Wars Battlefront III / New Sonic the Hedgehog
CDS 57