Carmack: id needs to 'recycle its code base more in the next

Your comments on our articles.

New approach would allow for more frequent game releases

id Software's John Carmack has said that the studio must take a new approach when it comes to developing for the next-generation of consoles and reuse more of its code base.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Carmack: id needs to 'recycle its code base more in the next

Postby ckempo » 08 Jun 2011, 13:28

Valve took this approach with the Source engine long ago; steady, iterative development. Basically a steady process of adding new features, rewriting and optimising the code you already have.

iD must have their engine at a point where a similar approach would benefit them now - I think that's what JC is alluding to in the quotes. It would mean a quicker turn around between games, but maybe not such an obviously massive leap between versions (think Half Life 2 -> Portal 2 rather than Quake to Quake 2,3,4). But then you end up with comments such as the Portal 2 reviews like "the ageing engine shows...."
ckempo 44

Re: Carmack: id needs to 'recycle its code base more in the

Postby kimoak » 08 Jun 2011, 20:36

I bet there is still code in from the first Quake in their latest engine. You can tell they are evolution jumps in the ID Tech engines. The biggest giveaway is when you drop the console down.
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Postby fraxyl » 09 Jun 2011, 16:04

ckempo wrote:Valve took this approach with the Source engine long ago; steady, iterative development. Basically a steady process of adding new features, rewriting and optimising the code you already have.

iD must have their engine at a point where a similar approach would benefit them now - I think that's what JC is alluding to in the quotes. It would mean a quicker turn around between games, but maybe not such an obviously massive leap between versions (think Half Life 2 -> Portal 2 rather than Quake to Quake 2,3,4). But then you end up with comments such as the Portal 2 reviews like "the ageing engine shows...."

And the people who write comments like that always tend to focus on and whine about what's not there and the bad rather than the good that is there and the bad that isn't. I'll take hilarious writing, good voice acting, decent graphics, animations with detail where it matters and unique game play over "cutting edge" graphics that lose their edge in a matter of months and voices that make me want to rip my ears off.
fraxyl 21

Postby mike_mgoblue » 09 Jun 2011, 18:20

Rage of the Xbox 360 and PC run at 60 frames per second...But the PS3 version of Rage runs at only 20 - 30 frames per second. John Carmack and id Software has said their goal with the PS3 version is to get it optimized to run at 30 frames (60 fields) per second, so that it is optimized to run at 60hz the way the Xbox 360 and PC versions are. I write about this quite a bit on my blog and explain the technical reasons for this. Here's a link to my blog: www.controversy.typepad.com/videogamenews
mike_mgoblue 13