to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'No GTA, no Metal Gear... but Sony still rocked E3'

Your comments on our articles.

Opinion: OPM editor on why Sony didn't need big exclusives to impress

Sony's was a solid if unspectacular show.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'No GTA, no Metal Gear... but Sony still rocked E3'

Postby svd_grasshopper » 07 Jun 2011, 11:34

GTA aint a ps3 exclusive though is it?!

and warhawk left you cold. :|

not looking forward to starwahk as i hate sci-fi, but warhawk was class.

agent should have been on there. still hope it gets a stand alone showing.

last time we got a logo...
I LIKE ELECTRO, I LIKE RETRO, I LIKE GHETTO: HOUSE & TECHNO!
svd_grasshopper 62

Re: 'No GTA, no Metal Gear... but Sony still rocked E3'

Postby gmcb007 » 07 Jun 2011, 11:36

The editor of a Playstation magazine praising Sony's conference? No suprise there.
Last edited by gmcb007 on 07 Jun 2011, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 07 Jun 2011, 11:37

Was really hoping for GTA V or at least a GTA collection :cry:
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Postby mogel94 » 07 Jun 2011, 11:44

Definitely better than the Microsoft embarresment, but I have a feeling Nintendo will dominate this year. But still, a great conference with great announcements :mrgreen:
mogel94 43

Xbox Live: SoggySage
PSN ID: Iski94I

Postby almanac2015 » 07 Jun 2011, 11:46

Sony didn't rock E3. Only announcement I didn't expect was Sly. Some decent games there but too many were expected. And too long was spent on average looking games. At least they didn't spend too long on Move though.

Still preferred it to what I have seen of the Microsoft Conference but to be honest I expected that. Not hugely interested in Microsoft anyway, and Kinect doesn't interest me.

Nintendo will dominate E3 for the Nintendo fans surely, but doubt it will rock my boat.
PSN: threepy
almanac2015 61

PSN ID: threepy

Postby Tom tom tom » 07 Jun 2011, 11:51

Here was me thinking the editor of a playstation magazine would go out and say it was horrible. Watched the conference and if you were there for playstation 3 news it was as bad as microsofts last year for xbox. The only good thing for me was the apology and uncharted demo. Why no twisted metal trailer, gameplay or anything? I found microsofts conference boring but atleast it showed off some pretty good stuff in between. Minecraft, halo HD, halo 4,YouTube integration the gears demo and forza. Atleast they showed that before showing us how kinect shouldn't be used for games.
Tom tom tom 24

Postby Dewin » 07 Jun 2011, 12:21

Sony conference was sober but solid. A few new trailers of games we know are coming, a few Move games, new titles, a lot about the new Vita, a small bomb in terms of Bioshock coming to the Vita. Is had it all, only nothing jawdropping. The MS conference was lacklustre. It started out good with MW3, but went downhill from then on. Gears 3 was ok, Halo 4 will sell millions, but other than that..... nothing to get exited about. Youtube on 360? Don't care. Minecraft? Ditto. Forza 4 looked great, but headtracking is a gimmick at best. Halo 4 should have been a bomb, but fizzled. It was leaked, and the trailer was messy.

Nintendo will probably win this round.
Dewin 49

Postby budge » 07 Jun 2011, 12:35

I know E3 is held in LA but i thought both Sony's and Microsoft's conferences were up the USA's arse! I know it's a huge country but it's not the ONLY country.

Uncharted 3 looked brilliant as expected.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Imaduck » 07 Jun 2011, 12:44

Honestly, I don't think either of them so far have brought anything that was an actual surpirse. We already knew about most of it :? Minecraft on the 360 was different I guess, CE remake rumour being true was weird and awesome. I think they both let themselves down pretty big so far. Sony basically showed Uncharted which was cool, and MS showed Halo and Gears which was also cool. There was like no new big IP's or anything :(

It lacked flair overall. It was predictable. I think Sony's was less cheesy than MS (wouldn't be hard :lol: ) but almost more disappointing in that we KNOW they have a ton of games to sho that weren't shown :x ! THe Last Guardian? Twisted metal? MGS? God of War 4 maybe?

I really don't think there was any "rocking" done at all sadly. I think Sony's approach was better than last year though and better than MS. Less serious, more down to earth, which was great to see. MS totally forgot that bit :roll:
Imaduck 58

Postby starvinbull » 07 Jun 2011, 13:06

A very quiet E3 this year. I love my PS3 exclusives but I'd have been very happy with the Minecraft announcement that M$ nabbed. Overall I fail to see how Nintendo won't have a great E3.
starvinbull 59

Postby Padua » 07 Jun 2011, 13:09

I missed Kevin Butler this year. I enjoyed the conference. Dust looks brilliant and I am happy to see more support for Move especially with Little Big Planet 2. I was expecting there to be more because of all the leaks but I am hardly disappointed.

Kratos clearly isn't angry enough to be unveiled just quite yet!

I am really p**sed that Sony's PS Home "virtual E3" was such a disaster. The video would not play after an hour and then it streamed audio only. I'm not a Home fanatic but it would have nice be even virtually a part of it. Is it no surprise that they didn't mention Home at E3? Its doomed I tell you. DOOMED! :mrgreen:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby milky_joe » 07 Jun 2011, 13:30

Not enough new announcements for the second year running. Sony need to remember that's what E3 is all about.

Then again, it could be down to when they announce games. When you're announcing something when it's still got 3 years of dev time left, it kind of nullifies the impact a little.

Imagine if we knew nothing about things like The Last Guardian (which has been in every list war for the last couple of years), and they announced it last night with a release in the coming months... That would have blown everyone away.

But they don't do things like that anymore, which is a shame.
Born to be a Wanderer...
milky_joe 59

PSN ID: MilkyJoe84
Wii Code: 1420-5183-0241-2476

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 07 Jun 2011, 14:02

Here's my prediction since its the only major conference left. GTA V for the project Cafe. Nintendo are known for pulling coups like that. remember resi 4 and if they really wanted to pull the hardcore back to ninty doing something like that would be a huge seller.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby armbar » 07 Jun 2011, 14:57

Good good! :wink:
Do not overestimate the power of Xbox...
armbar 27

PSN ID: MR_KRiPLING (returning soon)

Postby funnyguy2001 » 07 Jun 2011, 15:07

R* buying up web domains and people concluding that GTA 5 will be set in LA.

Heres what I think...

I think R* are making GTA : San Andreas stories for the Sony Vita.

The next GTA for the PS3 should be set in London (I'm fed up with American and Japanese settings to games)
funnyguy2001 39

Next