to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Far Cry 2 dev finds L.A. Noire "derivative, uninspiring"

Your comments on our articles.

Clint Hocking takes stand against critical consensus

L.A. Noire's sky-high review scores don't have everybody convinced. Clint Hocking, creative director of Far Cry 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, has lambasted the Team Bondi cop thriller as "derivative, uninspired, narcissistic". Everybody's entitled to their opinion...... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby metallicorphan » 20 May 2011, 10:33

Haven't played either game(played FC:Instincts and installing L.A.Noire as we speak),but at least L.A.Noire hasn't spawned some godawful film....yet
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby Medaking » 20 May 2011, 10:33

I find Far Cry 2 derivative and uninspring. Make a game entertaining before criticising others.
Medaking 42

Re: Far Cry 2 dev finds L.A. Noire

Postby El Mag » 20 May 2011, 10:37

Oh no she didn't *finger snap* you ain't my babies daddy.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Swarly » 20 May 2011, 10:40

Hmm... i find Far Cry 2 crap :D
Swarly 21

Xbox Live: l Swarley l

Postby kirankara » 20 May 2011, 10:47

ill be honest, im not expecting to enjoy la noire, and think i might agree, but will find out later today when i pick up in hmv with my free la confidential blu ray. if worst comes to worst this gets jettisoned fast for portal 2, as trade in price will be high on this one.
kirankara 57

Postby stonecold77 » 20 May 2011, 10:49

Far Cry 2 was a big pile of shite I got it for xmas 2008 and never played it again after boxing day.
PSN : STONECOLD77
Gaming since 1983.... DAMN I'M GETTING OLD.
stonecold77 53

Postby shiftymorgan » 20 May 2011, 10:54

Coming from the dev of far cry 2 is hardly worth paying attention too.
Far cry 2 looked nice, but the gameplay and the constant things that made that game a nightmare i.e respawing checkpoints, people chasing you when driving no matter where and when..
shiftymorgan 44

Postby ricflair » 20 May 2011, 10:56

Why come out and say something like this in 'public', especially when Far Cry 2 was a massive shower of shite. From what I've seen of LA Noire, it looks a lot less derivative than most games out there.
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 20 May 2011, 10:59

Far Cry 2 was utterly deviod of character, fun or anything. It was dull. So dull. LA Noire so far has been brilliant. LIke all R* games it takes its cues heavily from classic staples of the genre. Red Dead did it with westerns, GTA has been doing it for years with ganster films. None of them are particulay original but they all know thier source material so well it doesn't matter. They take what we love about westerns, gang films and now american noire and craft it into something original and iconic in its own right.

Derivitive and unispiriing. why didn't he just throw a 'generic' in there as well and have the full set of baseless complaints used by people that can't form an cohesive argument against something.

Uninspiring was something i'd levy against far cry 2. Why the hell would a man drop dead if he went outside of preset boundaries. it was rediculous. It's attempts at realism fell flat and was an incredibly dissapointing sequel to a brilliant original made by a much more capable team.

The guys working Team bondi have a history of making great games. Icouldn't say the same for the bunch of chuckleheads that cobbled together farcry 2.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby lonewolf2002 » 20 May 2011, 11:04

Far Cry 2 was bad imo but then again they were more showcasing the engine and hung a very average game off of it. 8)
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Moribundman » 20 May 2011, 11:10

I got Far Cry 2 dirt cheap long after the fact from CeX and it was the equivalent of watching an average movie on TV out of nowhere and quite enjoying it - it engrossed me for a little while but it wasn't a very deep game and I resold it not long after without completing it.

I'm a little worried I'm 24% through LA Noire already after going home at 2:30 yesterday (I even went down the pub half way through playing and went to bed before midnight) but it is still a deeply captivating game with deep, deep charm and immersion.

Professional jealousy and sour grapes are painful things.
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Postby gamefreak666 » 20 May 2011, 11:15

I have to be the exception to the rule here. I got Far Cry 2 a couple of years ago and after playing it for a few hours it got shelved. During the PSN outage I started playing some of my older games with Far Cry 2 restarted just before the PSN was reinstated. I think i'm only about a third of the way through it, but I am still thoroughly enjoying it (but some aspects of it are starting to wear a bit thin). After playing so many generic FPS I feel Far Cry 2 offers an alternative to the "blast the s**t out of everything that moves" style of game. Although I am under no dillusions about the games short comings. I havn't played L.A. Noire yet, and may even put off buying it till that get the over-heating problem sorted.
gamefreak666 38

Xbox Live: gamefreak6667
PSN ID: gamefreak666
Wii Code: 8623 0448 1050 6217
Steam: 3DS:- 1848-1694-2515

Postby kirankara » 20 May 2011, 11:33

gamefreak666 wrote:I have to be the exception to the rule here. I got Far Cry 2 a couple of years ago and after playing it for a few hours it got shelved. During the PSN outage I started playing some of my older games with Far Cry 2 restarted just before the PSN was reinstated. I think i'm only about a third of the way through it, but I am still thoroughly enjoying it (but some aspects of it are starting to wear a bit thin). After playing so many generic FPS I feel Far Cry 2 offers an alternative to the "blast the s**t out of everything that moves" style of game. Although I am under no dillusions about the games short comings. I havn't played L.A. Noire yet, and may even put off buying it till that get the over-heating problem sorted.

Far Cry 2 pretty well respected critically at least, and pc gamers still like it, and that and crysis get much love due to open world style
kirankara 57

Postby tassletine » 20 May 2011, 11:42

I'll never understand the hate for Far Cry 2. People complaining about checkpoints respawning? So what? It gives you more to shoot at and livens up the game. I never had a problem outrunning anyone at a checkpoint anyway. You could just drive by 95% of the time.

There was so much variety to the gunplay in that game, the AI was great and the sense of being a predator outwitting your opponents was unrivalled. There was a genuine sense of tension, as the better you got the more the enemy seemed to panic and the more control you had over them. It was always a game of cat and mouse, not a shooting gallery. It had to be played on Hard to really appreciate that aspect though. It was tough and I loved that.

I think that game was doing something different and the only reason that people didn't get along with it is that it didn't fit into prescribed moulds.
tassletine 43

Postby The_KFD_Case » 20 May 2011, 11:46

I don't know whether I agree with it being "kitsch" or not since I haven't played it (and I've no intention of playing it). In the past I've argued against the claim by Mr. Moriarty that games can never be art, however, if it is to art it will have to be a different form of art than say, a Van Gogh painting. Furthermore, I also suspect that games that may popularly be contenders for the title of art will be ones that didn't set out to try and be just that, but rather somehow touch upon that status through happen stance via the developers' love and polish for their game while aiming for different goals.

I do know that from the get-go I found the premise and setting of the game dull, drab, and boring. I fully expect the actual game play to be equally tedious and will thus steer wide clear of L.A. Noire.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Next