Gabe Newell: My 3 favourite games

Your comments on our articles.

Game Changers: Valve's boss tells CVG which titles moved the goalposts...

The global video games industry houses more than its fair share of creative genius, with digitally-minded auteurs regularly masterminding titles that improve all of our existences on a daily basis.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Gabe Newell: My 3 favourite games

Postby Imaduck » 04 Apr 2011, 17:49

A wild hippo appears!

Nah Gabe's a legend and a smart, respectable dude :)
Imaduck 58

Re: Gabe Newell: My 3 favourite games

Postby LordVonPS3 » 04 Apr 2011, 18:19

I remember playing a conversion of that version of [Star] Trek on the ZX Spectrum. The graphics were not much more than asterisks, naughts and crosses but it was still fun... Sort of.
LordVonPS3 57

Postby griffa94 » 04 Apr 2011, 18:25

why does every post about Gabe Newell always have at least one comment about his weight ¬¬ ....
griffa94 37

Xbox Live: griffpits
Steam: griffpits

Postby theaface » 04 Apr 2011, 18:34

It never fails to amaze me how right Nintendo got it with their transition from 2D to 3D platforming. It was pretty much like first attempt = perfection. Job done. With the arguable exception of Ocarina of Time, no other game during that entire generation came close to bettering Mario 64.
theaface 45

Postby Mogs » 04 Apr 2011, 18:39

Gabe FTW!
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby corkscru74 » 04 Apr 2011, 19:20

theaface wrote:It never fails to amaze me how right Nintendo got it with their transition from 2D to 3D platforming. It was pretty much like first attempt = perfection. Job done. With the arguable exception of Ocarina of Time, no other game during that entire generation came close to bettering Mario 64.

Agreed. Mario 64 is still in my top 5 games of all time, even 15 years down the line! I think the fact the controller was designed around the game played a big part in the game's success. Was also interesting to hear that my favourite feature, the multiple tasks on each level that could be completed in any order, was down to the memory restrictions of the console.

I love you Gabe!!!
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby A3RO_DYNAMIK » 04 Apr 2011, 19:22

griffa94 wrote:why does every post about Gabe Newell always have at least one comment about his weight ¬¬ ....

Heres a game that might change his life forever.....Wii Fit :lol: Sorry had to do it.
A3RO_DYNAMIK 35

Postby BLARRG » 04 Apr 2011, 20:36

corkscru74 wrote:
theaface wrote:It never fails to amaze me how right Nintendo got it with their transition from 2D to 3D platforming. It was pretty much like first attempt = perfection. Job done. With the arguable exception of Ocarina of Time, no other game during that entire generation came close to bettering Mario 64.

Agreed. Mario 64 is still in my top 5 games of all time, even 15 years down the line! I think the fact the controller was designed around the game played a big part in the game's success. Was also interesting to hear that my favourite feature, the multiple tasks on each level that could be completed in any order, was down to the memory restrictions of the console.

I love you Gabe!!!

they should bring that feature back
Master System, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Wii, X360, PS3, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS

currently playing: GTAV, bravely default , Pokémon Y
BLARRG 45

Postby tmten » 04 Apr 2011, 21:36

theaface wrote:It never fails to amaze me how right Nintendo got it with their transition from 2D to 3D platforming. It was pretty much like first attempt = perfection.

so true. it's a stunning achievement and probably still the game that i've been most impressed by on first playing it. it must be how people that grew up with black and white tv felt on viewing colour tv for the first time.
of course it wasn't the first 3d game ever made, and it wasn't the first 3d game that i'd ever seen (that's the old-school type of 3d; polygonal rasterisation, not your new fangled actual 3 dimensional 3d using 3d display tech and silly glasses), but nothing came close to that sense of freedom, and to the sheer, bursting, lucidity of it all. it was like playing a dream...*

*this is what mario 64 does to me. sorry for sounding like a pretentious t**t!
tmten 40

Postby RandyTandy » 04 Apr 2011, 21:44

If you're going to make a feature out of this kind of thing, you're going to need a longer response than that from the big guys.
RandyTandy 59

PSN ID: RandyTandy
Steam: RandyTandy

Postby Balladeer » 04 Apr 2011, 21:53

BLARRG wrote:Agreed. Mario 64 is still in my top 5 games of all time, even 15 years down the line! I think the fact the controller was designed around the game played a big part in the game's success. Was also interesting to hear that my favourite feature, the multiple tasks on each level that could be completed in any order, was down to the memory restrictions of the console.

I love you Gabe!!!

they should bring that feature back[/quote]

Too right, both of you. SM64 is still the best 3D Mario for me, and possibly the best game ever, for pretty much this reason. Also because of the Wing Cap and the Jolly Roger Bay music.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby gilly83 » 05 Apr 2011, 09:14

gabe and valve ftw!
Have to agree with Mario 64 its one of the only few games when i played it i was gobsmacked (zelda OoT and HL2 being the others)
gilly83 34

Postby boskersrevenge » 05 Apr 2011, 09:56

griffa94 wrote:why does every post about Gabe Newell always have at least one comment about his weight ¬¬ ....

Maybe because it's a distinguishing feature?

Potatoes potahtoes in this case as I like chunky men (and I am not the only one; gay/straight - men/women in whatever combination, so for a fair few of us it's a requirement and not something bad) and this'un is rich and has good taste in games. Somehow I think he'd find a great hairy bloke such as myself a little intimidating. Especially after that famed story of this gay muscle guy who was arrested while climbing over Steven Spielberg's wall - a known stalker of Spielberg with a bag filled with kinky equipment.

Makes me chuckle every time, that - he could have made a film about it :P
I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.
boskersrevenge 70

Xbox Live: Boskerville
PSN ID: Boskerville
Wii Code: 3DS 5455-9459-3634
Steam: Boskerville

Postby slimify d » 05 Apr 2011, 10:26

mario has been a solid franchise all most for every title, nintendo may have let a few things slip but that little chubby plumber keeps ticking all the boxes and to echo it again that transition was seamless.
currently playing
360 - Halo 4/black ops 2/Tekken tag 2/NFS-MW
ps3 - fifa 13/WWE 13
pc - BF3/Trine
Wii U - Zombi U,

currently wanting Pikmin 3. DMC
slimify d 30

Xbox Live: slimify d
PSN ID: slimify-d
Steam: slimifyd
Battle.net: mcslimifyd@aol.com

Postby justforkicks101 » 05 Apr 2011, 10:47

boskersrevenge wrote:

Maybe because it's a distinguishing feature?

Potatoes potahtoes in this case as I like chunky men (and I am not the only one; gay/straight - men/women in whatever combination, so for a fair few of us it's a requirement and not something bad) and this'un is rich and has good taste in games. Somehow I think he'd find a great hairy bloke such as myself a little intimidating. Especially after that famed story of this gay muscle guy who was arrested while climbing over Steven Spielberg's wall - a known stalker of Spielberg with a bag filled with kinky equipment.

Makes me chuckle every time, that - he could have made a film about it :P

thats tickled me lol

muscle guy with a sport billy bag of fun.. scary
Im Playing tons of Planetside 2 with
Rock Planet Shotgun, on Miller, Join us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPlanetShotgun
justforkicks101 65

Xbox Live: jfk101
PSN ID: jfk101
Steam: jfk101
xFire: justforkicks101

Next