to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

EA: We haven't forgotten about Road Rash, Magic Carpet

Your comments on our articles.

Games label boss reassures fans that IP can still "come back"

EA has told CVG that it is "very cognisant" of the opportunities presented by its back catalogue of classic IP, including Road Rash, Burnout and Bullfrog franchises such as Populous and Magic Carpet.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby humanhand » 24 Mar 2011, 13:57

Road Rash used to be one of my favorite games...
Check it Out! Season 2 on tv NOW!

playing: Mortal Kombat PS3 and Vita, Max Payne 3, Resistance Burning Skies, Mario Tennis Open
gaming since between 1985 -1993 and 1999 - present
humanhand 46

Xbox Live: humanhand
PSN ID: humanhand
Wii Code: 5097 5406 0203 1031

Postby Squall5005 » 24 Mar 2011, 13:57

Shave the 'Magic Carpet' and you'll get a 'Road Rash'

Thank you and goodnight
Squall5005 56

PSN ID: Tidus5005
Steam: tidus5005

Postby RustySpoon80 » 24 Mar 2011, 13:59

Dungeon Keeper, Populous, Powermonger, Magic Carpet

Yes Please :D
RustySpoon80 56

Re: EA: We haven't forgotten about Road Rash, Magic Carpet

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 24 Mar 2011, 14:15

As much as i'd like to see modern versions of the bullfrog games. Without the involvement of Peter Molyneux I think something would feel a little off.

I would love to see a new Dessert Strike though. Sparkly HD remakes in the same style would be ace.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby ricflair » 24 Mar 2011, 14:20

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:As much as i'd like to see modern versions of the bullfrog games. Without the involvement of Peter Molyneux I think something would feel a little off.

I would love to see a new Dessert Strike though. Sparkly HD remakes in the same style would be ace.

I was playing Deser/Jungle Strike not so long ago. It's painfully clunky at times, but the bones of a great game.

Some of these just scream out of XBLA/PSN remakes.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby rick » 24 Mar 2011, 14:34

Oh man there are so many great old skool games that would be great to see/play again.

I loved the Desert strike and jungle strike games. If I recall they were kind of open world helicopter games.

Who remembers these

Turrican 2
Another world
Flashback
Rick dangerous
James Pond - Robocod
Xenon II Megablast
Shadow of the beast 2
rick 40

Xbox Live: Ammogeddon
PSN ID: Ammogeddon

Postby ricflair » 24 Mar 2011, 14:47

Turrican 2 was amazing, I bloody loved that game. I've often thought about getting Mega Turrican or the SNES version, but I don't think they were the same.

Rick Danerous 2 was better (from memory), I thought Another World and Flashback were OK (although I had an early copied version of Flashback that was released in France before the English version) but mainly about the graphics/animation.

I got Shadow of the Beast 2 with my Amiga (Screen Gems pack), I think psygnosis who made it are now Sony Liverpool of Wipeout, Destruction Derby fame?!?

Either way, I think there are so many amazing Amiga games that never made it to console, they've been overlooked. The only Bitmap Bros game you see about now is Speedball. But there was Gods, Xenon 1 & 2, Chaos Engine 1 & 2, Magic Pockets, Cadaver...

And I'm also not sure the Bullfrog games will be the same without PM.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby benedictm » 24 Mar 2011, 14:51

Original Populous on iPad please
benedictm 40

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 24 Mar 2011, 15:07

ricflair wrote:Turrican 2 was amazing, I bloody loved that game. I've often thought about getting Mega Turrican or the SNES version, but I don't think they were the same.

Rick Danerous 2 was better (from memory), I thought Another World and Flashback were OK (although I had an early copied version of Flashback that was released in France before the English version) but mainly about the graphics/animation.

I got Shadow of the Beast 2 with my Amiga (Screen Gems pack), I think psygnosis who made it are now Sony Liverpool of Wipeout, Destruction Derby fame?!?

Either way, I think there are so many amazing Amiga games that never made it to console, they've been overlooked. The only Bitmap Bros game you see about now is Speedball. But there was Gods, Xenon 1 & 2, Chaos Engine 1 & 2, Magic Pockets, Cadaver...

And I'm also not sure the Bullfrog games will be the same without PM.

Godz and Chaos Engine were class. I often wonder what a modern day valhalla or heimdall would be like.

@benedictm - I thought you already could get Populous for iOS. If not i know you can get it on the ds.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby snips10 » 24 Mar 2011, 15:24

Sometimes I can still sit here and humm some of the music from Turrican 2. Best soundtrack in any game IMO.

Not sure if it was EA, but I'd love the see Meglomania remade. Absolute classic.
snips10 48

Postby murph_77 » 24 Mar 2011, 15:29

I would love to see a new Road Rash and Desert Strike. They could make Desert Strike like the Apache mission in Medal of Honour with all the proper sounds etc.
murph_77 45

Postby capsule_toy » 24 Mar 2011, 15:32

I'd love a new Populous, but I think it'd turn out like Ubisoft's Project Dust. Magic Carpet however? There's almost nothing like it, still. Gimmie!!

Hopefully, if they did a Road Rash, it'd be very much like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHz2u-33Y4
capsule_toy 46

Xbox Live: Capsule Toy
PSN ID: Capsule_Toy
Steam: Capsule_Toy

Postby ParmaViolet » 24 Mar 2011, 15:54

I'd love a new Road Rash. It was one of my favourite games - I remember a friend finishing the first track in under a minute with the special nitrus bike (Start + Up, Up at the loading screen).

They could really do something good with the 'Strike' series. They'd work in so many ways.

For some reason, I wouldn't mind seeing Ecstatica brought back - mainly because I never got too far into it back then. Does anyone remember that? - I remember this pig monster that used to punch you if you got too close and the main character constantly saying 'But....there's nothing here. No, no, no'.

:)
ParmaViolet 66

Postby McShave 07 » 24 Mar 2011, 15:55

I love some of the games mentioned here, mainly Turrican 2/Flashback.
But if we're talking about bullfrog, I think of only one game SYNDICATE, GOD I'm getting excited just imagining a new one.
McShave 07 35

Xbox Live: McShave 07

Postby Taus » 24 Mar 2011, 16:02

Played and completed Roadrash on 3DO one summer when I was not much older than a lad. Best version, one of my favorite games, still rank that as one of the highlights of my gaming history

Happy days, sun shining, off for summer holidays, no work, no mortgage, just playing Roadrash for a couple of hours before getting on my bike to hang out with mates
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Next