to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Pokemon Black/White

Your comments on our articles.

Creature comforts

People say you don't realise what you have until it's gone, and this couldn't be truer of Pokťmon.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Pokemon Black/White

Postby shogunreaper » 03 Mar 2011, 13:25

It's still the same game when you get right down to it.
shogunreaper 46

Re: Pokemon Black/White

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 03 Mar 2011, 14:50

well yeah, of course it is. You wouldn't want to play it if it wasn't. I think the 3ds version though. is going to be the one to really watch. That proper leap in graphics and the street pass function could see the series go from great but a little archaic to truley brilliant again.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby higgins78 » 03 Mar 2011, 15:00

shogunreaper wrote:It's still the same game when you get right down to it.

True, except you forget this will be a lot of peoples first time playing a Pokemon title. I myself played the original way back in the day but just because of this fact I don't look down my nose at the more "casual" gamer. Try to keep an open mind as to while it basically is the same game from all those years back it appears for all intense purposes the definitive.
higgins78 38

Postby Balladeer » 03 Mar 2011, 15:04

Pokémon does not need radical revolution. It does need streamlining.
The GNamer Forum: for civilised Nintendo discussion, podcasts, and snack reviews.
Balladeer 76

Postby YCshinobi » 03 Mar 2011, 15:06

Yeah, think I'll skip this, wait and see what they do with the 3DS.
YCshinobi 65

Xbox Live: ycshinobi
PSN ID: ycshinobi
Wii Code: Wii U... YCshinobi
Steam: ycshinobi

Postby PMIKE5 » 03 Mar 2011, 15:51

Can you walk diagonally in it?
My artwork. Hope you like it :)
My kindle comics
PMIKE5 46

Postby almanac2015 » 03 Mar 2011, 17:46

I like the idea of only having new Pokemon. It will hopefully help to refresh the series a little, because there is no doubt the games are quite similar. Having an entire team of new Pokemon for the first time will be nice, not knowing what Pokemon will evolve into, or what moves they will get. Provided I can stay away from the Internet of course. :P Nice review also.

Balladeer wrote:Pokémon does not need radical revolution. It does need streamlining.

I...agree. :shock: Still waiting for an awesome Wii Pokemon game however. ;)
PSN: threepy
almanac2015 61

PSN ID: threepy

Postby Balladeer » 03 Mar 2011, 20:35

Did you give XD a try out on the GC? It seems to have been criminally overlooked because it wasn't a "proper" Pokémon, i.e. it solved all the problems the handheld games had.
The GNamer Forum: for civilised Nintendo discussion, podcasts, and snack reviews.
Balladeer 76

Postby sporkhead » 03 Mar 2011, 22:32

Balladeer wrote:Did you give XD a try out on the GC? It seems to have been criminally overlooked because it wasn't a "proper" Pokémon, i.e. it solved all the problems the handheld games had.

Indeed - I appreciate both Colosseum and XD far more now because they did something new - not game mechanics wise but in terms of game world, speed and so on.

Mind, the Game Boy Advance Pokémon titles were very fast (compared to the rest of the series, that is, as battles are still not exactly Golden Sun: Dark Dawn fast) - especially Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I remember how much of a step back Diamond/Pearl felt (see the old NGamer review of the Japanese version here for an explanation: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/15 ... /?site=ngm ) because it was slower and clunkier in pretty much every regard - battles felt such a chore.

I'd say XD was criminally overlooked because it was a shameful lazy recycling of Pokémon Colosseum. Even the old Nintendo Official Magazine awarded it a 58/100 for laziness reasons. Mind, if you never played Colosseum it was probably just as good as that game.
sporkhead 59
Global Moderator

Postby Balladeer » 03 Mar 2011, 22:46

And as I've already said, criticising a Pokémon game for being lazy and giving the handheld games consistently high scores is thick.

As I've also already said, I wouldn't touch any of ONM's verdicts with a cattle prod.
Balladeer 76

Postby almanac2015 » 03 Mar 2011, 23:58

Balladeer wrote:Did you give XD a try out on the GC? It seems to have been criminally overlooked because it wasn't a "proper" Pokémon, i.e. it solved all the problems the handheld games had.

Nope. I played some Pokemon Stadium on the N64 and Pokemon Colosseum. I must admit I overlooked XD because though the feature of snagging pokemon in Colosseum was interesting it just didn't grab me in the way the handhelds did. I've complained that the handheld Pokemon games change little over time (something I'm sure you are aware of :P) but I'd absolutely love a console version. Free roaming around a 3D environment, catching wild Pokemon and earning enough Gym Badges to get to the Elite Four.

I own few Gamecube games because I was big on PS2 games at the time. Unfortunately that means whilst I own some of the great Gamecube titles (Luigi's Mansion, Wind Waker etc.) I missed out on a lot of GC games that I might have enjoyed.
almanac2015 61

Postby g_marrs » 04 Mar 2011, 00:09

The animation for entering a building causes a delay which gets increasingly irritating as you progress. It's obviously to give an impression of pseudo 3-D depth to the world but it discourages exploration of the buildings. Otherwise, my first hour with it is enjoyable if a bit samey.
g_marrs 43

Postby jimsondanet » 04 Mar 2011, 05:07

I would have preferred proggresion on the old school graphics rather than the recent transitions into 3D. Yea it maybe 3D but its ugly and does little justice to the anime series that gave us such a great game in the first place. Although I must admit, I do like that screen of the suspension bridge.
Oh well, it does open the door for the 3DS tho. then again, how much depth perception can add to the series remains to be seen. f**k the pun.
jimsondanet 38

Postby g_marrs » 04 Mar 2011, 11:56

Actually, 3DS may force the series to make it's first major update. It'll be a lot harder to resist 3d graphics with the 3DS than the DS.

Gamefreaks may yet have to innovate, animate and update. However, their basic formula is addictive as always. OCD sufferers beware.
g_marrs 43

Postby almanac2015 » 04 Mar 2011, 16:01

jimsondanet wrote: Yea it maybe 3D but its ugly and does little justice to the anime series that gave us such a great game in the first place.

Didn't the game come first?
almanac2015 61

Next