to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Gabe Newell almost went blind, now a 'near-billionaire'

Your comments on our articles.

Forbes profile says Steam owns two-thirds of PC download market

Valve boss Gabe Newell has been profiled by Forbes, in an article which gives as much away about his personal struggle with adversity as it does his company's massive profitability.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby DaveTHX » 14 Feb 2011, 11:53

That percentage would shoot up if they started offering the same price as the likes of Amazon and Play from day one.
DaveTHX 35

Postby TimHotston » 14 Feb 2011, 11:54

and that a onetime manager of a Waffle House in Florida is now a lead software developer on Half-Life

Gabe Newell must of really liked those waffles :lol:
Last edited by TimHotston on 16 Feb 2011, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
TimHotston 45

Re: Gabe Newell almost went blind, now a 'near-billionaire'

Postby Jensonjet » 14 Feb 2011, 12:18

With all that money it would be nice if Valve actually get off their fat asses and create a NEW GAME ENGINE!!!!! Assuming they're capable. I'm not sure they are.

Left4Dead's engine is poor. Very poor. And the fact the single player campaigns last such a short time makes the game a near rip off. I don't game on a PC, but I did I'd not have paid for that.
Jensonjet 47

Postby altitude2k » 14 Feb 2011, 12:28

Have you seen the man? Of course he nearly went blind...
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby spunwicked » 14 Feb 2011, 12:42

Overeating disease is a result of toxins produced by Clostridial bacteria type D. These bacteria, which are usually harmless, live in the soil. When cattle consume these bacteria and the conditions in the animals' intestines are just right, the bacteria grow out of control. When this happens, they produce many toxins that are dangerous to the cattle.

A calf will go from perfect vision to complete blindness in a matter of hours. You may notice the calf not wanting to move or follow the herd. It may walk right into a tree or stumble over a rock. On inspecting its eyes, you will find a white film covering them.
spunwicked 24

Xbox Live: spunwicked
PSN ID: dunkrez
Steam: spunwicked

Postby nathar » 14 Feb 2011, 12:43

I found out this weekend that Steam take a straight 30% cut of everything they sell. I love steam, but their pricing will cripple indie gaming if they continue to hold so much of the digital distribution market. It heartens me to see things like Minecraft doing so well without steam because its evidence that PC gaming outside of steam isnt quite dead yet :)
nathar 47

Postby anytime » 14 Feb 2011, 13:05

Jensonjet wrote:With all that money it would be nice if Valve actually get off their fat asses and create a NEW GAME ENGINE!!!!! Assuming they're capable. I'm not sure they are.

Left4Dead's engine is poor. Very poor. And the fact the single player campaigns last such a short time makes the game a near rip off. I don't game on a PC, but I did I'd not have paid for that.

That me be the problem, they are in a very comfortable position right now so they are in no hurry to do anything. They arn't in a hurry like most people to get there game done and dusted because they have wages to pay ect and arn't constrained with time limits that money always brings, so they will get it done in there own time like years years and years.
anytime 45

Postby Tonyb » 14 Feb 2011, 13:59

I bought L4D2 off steam last weekend for a tenner and have to say it's a brilliant online experience, infact, haven't touched my 360, so from my point of view it's a case of "well done Gabe" and long may those profits roll in!
Tonyb 58

Postby joycey » 14 Feb 2011, 14:40

spunwicked wrote:Overeating disease is a result of toxins produced by Clostridial bacteria type D. These bacteria, which are usually harmless, live in the soil. When cattle consume these bacteria and the conditions in the animals' intestines are just right, the bacteria grow out of control. When this happens, they produce many toxins that are dangerous to the cattle.

A calf will go from perfect vision to complete blindness in a matter of hours. You may notice the calf not wanting to move or follow the herd. It may walk right into a tree or stumble over a rock. On inspecting its eyes, you will find a white film covering them.

Very funny. You would think that when he got his vision back the thoughts "F*** me, I'm fat - better use some of that money to fund a gym membership" would cross his mind :roll:
joycey 36

Postby STEVONYMO » 14 Feb 2011, 15:07

I nearly went blind once but it had nothing to do with my cornea. :roll:
STEVONYMO 39

Postby woodins » 14 Feb 2011, 15:31

joycey wrote:
spunwicked wrote:Overeating disease is a result of toxins produced by Clostridial bacteria type D. These bacteria, which are usually harmless, live in the soil. When cattle consume these bacteria and the conditions in the animals' intestines are just right, the bacteria grow out of control. When this happens, they produce many toxins that are dangerous to the cattle.

Very funny. You would think that when he got his vision back the thoughts "F*** me, I'm fat - better use some of that money to fund a gym membership" would cross his mind :roll:

Listen to some Tom Leykis clips on Youtube, and you will understand why a fatty like Gabe doesn't need a gym. Quick summary hint: "Nearly, if not already, a billionaire."
Paracetamol will not bring back a dead hooker. Trust me.
woodins 36

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 14 Feb 2011, 15:45

, a congenital disease

He he....genital
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby anytime » 14 Feb 2011, 16:06

Fat people can't help the way they are, you see they are born with the disease obesity, it's in there genes. It's true, it was in the newspaper.
anytime 45

Postby Imaduck » 14 Feb 2011, 17:38

He's a ledge end, no doubts. Also, cool story bro, genuinely, never knew that stuff :)
Steam is pretty great, it deserves a lot more respect that it gets and the whole profit thing is brilliant. My only gripe - make more of the games GFWL compatible, then I'll be absolutely 100% sold :D

I think it's clear why the Waffle dude was hired ...... to make Gabe nutritious low fat salads of course ! :roll:
Imaduck 58

Postby Slim-Cognito » 14 Feb 2011, 18:16

"so I had a nasty eye infection that nearly cost me my sight, but thats all in the past now as I became rich and succesfull through creating Valve and .... HALF LIFE, Oh the people ..." yeah you get where Im going with this :P
Requiescat In Pace
Slim-Cognito 20

PSN ID: ScrabCake

Next