to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo on 3DS: 'We don't look at the opposition'

Your comments on our articles.

Pt. 2: UK boss on Hollywood, PSP2 and mature titles...

Nintendo's set-to-be-stellar Nintendo 3DS launch approaches ever closer. The console will be out in Japan in less than a month, and will land on European shores on March 25.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Nintendo on 3DS: 'We don't look at the opposition'

Postby Killermancarro » 31 Jan 2011, 14:05

Stopped reading this bull crap after the 'We don't look at the opposition' comment.

By this logic I assume they also don't look to see if the toilet lid is up before taking a dump?
Killermancarro 46

Re: Nintendo on 3DS: 'We don't look at the opposition'

Postby Balladeer » 31 Jan 2011, 15:12

By your logic the moon is green and cows have wings.

No reason why they should, really. The 3DS will sell buckets anyway. Personally I'd prefer Nintendo to look at themselves and work out what they need to keep/change, which they seem to be doing in some areas (one friend code) and not others (that flippin' awful launch line-up - yes I will continue to moan about it).
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 31 Jan 2011, 16:02

I find Nintendo's view of their product having something "unique" to be questionable. They've always had this "we're untouchable" approach to when it comes to questions and answers. They know people are going to buy the 3DS whether or not they hype it up or not. Hell they've had countless versions of the DS which kept on selling with each release, a lot of people even going as far as to keep on selling their current one just so they can get the next one. Each time they find something slightly new to account for another release. This time it's once again re-released games buffered up with slightly better visuals, and the gimmick of 3D. Makes me wonder exactly how much longer they can keep in the business if their life long goal is to make Mario, Zelda, and Metroid sequels far and few between whilst making sure to re-release games we played ten years ago and beyond. Don't get me wrong I do like their games, it's just the magic fades a little with each release. Nintendo in my opinion are the videogames industry equivalent of a sly door to door saleman, and the customer is the grandmother who buys the product. They have a tried and tested many times before idea, and they keep on selling it to the same people.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Killermancarro » 31 Jan 2011, 17:26

My point being that their statement claiming they don't look at the opposition is just pure arrogance and a blatant lie.

The day a successful company doesn't gauge the market for the release of it's next major product to ensure it maximises sales is the day the moon turns green and cows fly.
Last edited by Killermancarro on 31 Jan 2011, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Killermancarro 46

Postby richard99 » 31 Jan 2011, 17:41

Not looking at the opposition and learning from what they get right and get wrong strikes me as arrogant if I'm honest. Nintendo are in a position where they can afford to be arrogant at the moment but they shouldn't rest on past glories.
If anyone wants to see my favourite games take a look here :)
http://www.unikgamer.com/users/renegadev8-999.html
richard99 50

Xbox Live: renegadeV8
PSN ID: renegadeV8
Steam: renegadeV8

Postby Balladeer » 31 Jan 2011, 21:14

Killermancarro wrote:My point being that their statement claiming they don't look at the opposition is just pure arrogance and a blatant lie.

The day a successful company doesn't gauge the market for the release of it's next major product to ensure it maximises sales is the day the moon turns green and cows fly.

All right, I put that badly. I meant that I don't reckon people like Miyamoto and those who come up with the ideas look at the opposition. They let the opposition look at them (see three types of motion control). But people like those who gauge the market and Reggie "Who Ate All the Pie Charts" Fils-Aime obviously will.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

Balladeer 77

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 31 Jan 2011, 21:20

richard99 wrote:Not looking at the opposition and learning from what they get right and get wrong strikes me as arrogant if I'm honest. Nintendo are in a position where they can afford to be arrogant at the moment but they shouldn't rest on past glories.

Aye it's what got Sony in so much trouble. One minute they dominated for 2 Gens then they have half their market taken off them. Nintendo really shouldn't take the untouchable route or they too will end up in trouble.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Fr33Kye » 31 Jan 2011, 21:46

Balladeer wrote:
All right, I put that badly. I meant that I don't reckon people like Miyamoto and those who come up with the ideas look at the opposition. They let the opposition look at them (see three types of motion control). But people like those who gauge the market and Reggie "Who Ate All the Pie Charts" Fils-Aime obviously will.

Wait you mean look at opposing consoles or opposing console's games?
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Balladeer » 31 Jan 2011, 21:53

Either really. Neither the Gamecube nor the Wii were anything like the competition (for better or worse), and you don't see Samus copying Master Chief's style. Except I can never use Samus as a good example of anything again after Team Ninja butchered her. :cry:

Balladeer 77

Postby Fr33Kye » 31 Jan 2011, 22:19

Balladeer wrote:Either really. Neither the Gamecube nor the Wii were anything like the competition (for better or worse), and you don't see Samus copying Master Chief's style. Except I can never use Samus as a good example of anything again after Team Ninja butchered her. :cry:

I find that extremely unlikely. Game developers play games. They influence each other even if its not apparent. I would be surprised if the devs at nintendo didn't play other games. We would get lots of awful games if developers didn't play games themselves. They learn from what goes right with games and what goes wrong with them.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby milky_joe » 31 Jan 2011, 22:28

Balladeer wrote:
Killermancarro wrote:My point being that their statement claiming they don't look at the opposition is just pure arrogance and a blatant lie.

Miyamoto does check out what the competition are doing every now and then. There's the now famous picture of him watching a Kinect demo at E3 last year looking thoroughly unimpressed, for example...
Born to be a Wanderer...
milky_joe 59

PSN ID: MilkyJoe84
Wii Code: 1420-5183-0241-2476

Postby Balladeer » 31 Jan 2011, 22:59

Prove my wrong, why don't you... (grumbles to himself)

Balladeer 77

Postby Jon Ahmad » 01 Feb 2011, 14:34

No they don't look at the opposition, they study it very hard. Nintendo have a right to be quite 'smug' with their new baby and quite rightly so. As for the opposition, of course they look at it. Companies like Nintendo, Sony, Apple - oh sorry Microsoft, I almost forgot about you - employ professional market analysts, whose sole job is just that - study the market and the competition. Let's face it, the 3DS will sell like a Nostromo full of crack to a planet of raving junkies. It's exciting, fresh and something different. Nintendo's archive of games will probably see it in every household around the world. Regarding the PSP2 or NGP :roll: I can forsee this situation: It will become a secondary choice console to the 3DS depending on the price. As a father of two young children, I'll certainly be buying Sony's beast, yet the kids, their friends and cousins etc all have the 3DS on pre-order. Over time it will be interesting to see the sales ratio, and like I mentioned, this all depends on one factor; price. If Sony can hit a good price point, then the war will be a fierce one, and we as the consumer can enjoy both consoles and their brilliant games.
Creator of The Jellydoodz
Jon Ahmad 52