to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Champions Online goes free to play January 25

Your comments on our articles.

Superhero MMOG will no longer require a subscription

Atari and Cryptic Studios have announced that the free-to-play update to superhero MMORPG Champions Online will launch worldwide on January 25.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Champions Online goes free to play January 25

Postby jdkoke » 12 Jan 2011, 17:24

I had this for a month and it was enough for me. I used to play City of Villains so when I seen CO for a £5 a few months ago I thought it was worth a try and if it was crap then I only paid a fiver for a months playtime. There was some good features, more power options than COV had including some nice travel powers but apart from that it was actually a really boring, repetitive game with quite a crap community. So much so that I'm not even interested in it as a free to play game.
jdkoke 43

Xbox Live: KuruptK
PSN ID: Kris_S_273
Steam: jdkoke273

Re: Champions Online goes free to play January 25

Postby Seven24 » 12 Jan 2011, 17:56

Could you tell me how a MMO compares to playing a normal console game? I have been interested in joining one of the big MMO for a few months and just wondered how the day to day playing of the game went. I'm not big on making friends in the communities and also wondered if that would effect my overall experience. I'm guessing you are going to say try the free trials to see if you like them but thought I'd get the opion of some one first. I mean is it really worth shelling out each month for?
"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me."
Seven24 32

Xbox Live: Seven1178

Postby filth87 » 12 Jan 2011, 18:12

Seven24 wrote:Could you tell me how a MMO compares to playing a normal console game? I have been interested in joining one of the big MMO for a few months and just wondered how the day to day playing of the game went. I'm not big on making friends in the communities and also wondered if that would effect my overall experience. I'm guessing you are going to say try the free trials to see if you like them but thought I'd get the opion of some one first. I mean is it really worth shelling out each month for?

I'd maybe try getting your hands on Guild Wars to see how you fancy it. It's subscription free and the community is still fairly active (considering it's years old).
filth87 42

Postby FinalBillybong » 12 Jan 2011, 18:50

I agree with jdkoke. I was really excited for this when it was released and even got my self a discounted six month sub. Needless to say I left the game after about five weeks and will not be returning.
Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz

8GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

2 x R9 207X in CrossfireX

XBL Gamertag + Steam + iOS Gamecentre = FinalBillybong
FinalBillybong 48

Steam: finalbillybong