to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Spiritual successor to Oblivion?

Your comments on our articles.

The apprentice takes on the master in an all-out fantasy brawl...

It's not been a brilliant time for vanilla fantasy titles recently. Dragon Age was great, but Gothic IV and Final Fantasy XIII (if you can actually call it 'vanilla') both failed to make the grade.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Spiritual successor to Oblivion?

Postby Shamanoid » 01 Dec 2010, 02:25

If the chained person was a woman. This teaser trailer could have become 10X hotter!
Shamanoid 19

Re: The Kingdoms of Amalur: Spiritual successor to Oblivion?

Postby Grapple » 01 Dec 2010, 02:46

Wonder if the new Elder Scrolls will have an MMO version?

But from the video I dont think this will be a serious competitor to ES5. What I dont like about some fantasy games is the character weilding unfeasibly large weapons. The guy in the video swings a hammer the size of a transit van. But cant wait for ES5.
Grapple 41

Postby The_KFD_Case » 01 Dec 2010, 08:54

Two Worlds II failed to arrive? Funny that, I saw it on the shelves of both GAME and Gamestop the other day (the PC version). They didn't appear to be the "pre-order now!" promotional cover cases neither. As for the unofficial announcement of a new "TES", that was cheerful news to me, however the apparent comment by one of Bethesda's leading men that they are using a heavily overhauled version of the same engine that they used for "Oblivion" (and which has been used for "Fallout 3" and "Fallout: New Vegas") has soured my excitement somewhat. "KoAR" may end up filling a certain RPG vacuum quite nicely, if it arrives before "DA 2" and even more anticipated (for me at least) "The Witcher 2".
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby _Marty_ » 01 Dec 2010, 13:35

Like a Marks and Spencers voice over? Surely they were aiming for Cate Blanchett in Lord of the Rings? *shrug*

Either way, this looks really good, piqued my interested.

As long as the combat isn't 'mash A to win' followed by 'press these buttons that flash up NOW!'
NEO ANARCHIST AND BEST BANG SINCE THE BIG ONE

"RIP my baby kitty - forever in our hearts"
_Marty_ 59

Xbox Live: Da Sausageman

Postby nb_nmare2 » 01 Dec 2010, 19:22

The_KFD_Case wrote:the apparent comment by one of Bethesda's leading men that they are using a heavily overhauled version of the same engine that they used for "Oblivion" (and which has been used for "Fallout 3" and "Fallout: New Vegas") has soured my excitement somewhat.

I'm not sure why. Oblivion used a "heavily overhauled" version of the same engine they used for Morrowind (Gamebryo being a newer version of NetImmerse); if the graphical difference between TES V and Oblivion is the same as it was between Oblivion and Morrowind, they'll certainly get no complaints from me.

Besides, Gamebryo is an incredibly flexible engine. Whereas the Unreal engine is pretty much only ever used for action games, particularly shooters, Gamebryo has been used for the likes of Civilization IV and Metal Mickey.

Speaking as an amateur mod maker with several Oblivion mods to my name, I can tell you that Bethesda's version of Gamebryo is also a hell of a lot quicker and easier to develop content for than the likes of the Unreal engine (Civ IV is even easier, as everything other than the graphics and sound is basically just a load of text files). Another benefit of using the same engine from this point of view is that it will be relatively trivial to port mod content from one game to the other.

Also, speaking of the Unreal engine, you realize that Gears of War 3 will be using a "heavily overhauled" version of the same engine they used for Unreal 1, right? :D
nb_nmare2 58

Postby The_KFD_Case » 02 Dec 2010, 13:42

I do, but I am not overly impressed with how "Fallout: New Vegas" looks and that is the latest iteration of Bethesda's engine in question. Furthermore, it is one of the most bug ridden experiences many people have come across, so if they do use it they need to invest in some major quality testing.

Thanks for the detailed explanation concerning modding, etc. I found it interesting. :)
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby PlanesOutcast » 08 Dec 2010, 23:18

How can it be the next Elder Scrolls unless CVG know that ES V will be an MMO too? Have they slipped out some info, or are they just being dumb-assed again?!

If anything I think Two Worlds 2 and The Witcher 1 and 2 have been/are the Elder Scroll V successors!
PlanesOutcast 20