Batman: Arkham City - Can Rocksteady top Arkham Asylum?

Your comments on our articles.

The Dark Knight learns a few new tricks

Expectations are high for Arkham City. No, we'll rephrase that: expectations are astronomical. While other big game franchises such as Call Of Duty and FIFA are known quantities, the recently rejuvenated Batman name still has the potential to surprise.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Batman: Arkham City - Can Rocksteady top Arkham Asylum?

Postby STE MO » 29 Nov 2010, 21:37

Sounds a bit like AC with the snooping on the goons which I didn't like that much. I loved Arkham Asylum which was brilliant from start to finish. I just hope Rocksteady can live up to the expectations that everyone has put on them.
STE MO 51

Re: Batman: Arkham City - Can Rocksteady top Arkham Asylum?

Postby Dom Bom » 29 Nov 2010, 22:07

I've read that the Batmobile, and indeed any Bat-vehicle isn't in Arkham City. Here's a link if you don't believe me:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... rkham-city

Aside from that, I am hoping this game will trump Arkham Asylum. Game of the Year 09 for me personally.
Dom Bom 40

PSN ID: xx_dom_bom_xx
Steam: xxdombomxx

Postby Marlonjb » 29 Nov 2010, 23:19

"Early talk suggests that Catwoman, whose allegiances are always hard to predict, could be a co-op character - but Rocksteady are yet to confirm this."

Please don't. This game doesn't need Co op. Leave it out and leave the series as good as its started off.
If people are talking behind your back it's only because they cant talk to your face. PS3, Xbox360 Elite and Wii Owner so the lame ass "Fanboy" BS wont work on me. Do not bother!
Marlonjb 38

Postby OckMc » 30 Nov 2010, 01:37

two things guaranteed with this game an artistic masterpiece with great attention to detail to the Batman lore but as a game has it evolved? The last game was superb but if they tack on a few new combos, gadgets and a change of scenery is it a worthy sequel? Its like GOW brilliant games but play one and you have played them all. Major problem with games these days i reckon its like buying a new car every of the same maker & model just an extra cup holder here and there...
OckMc 19

Postby B_G_G » 30 Nov 2010, 02:23

I've been trying to play Arkham Asylum for a couple of weeks, and I just don't like it. I can't explain it, it reminds me of a mix of the GameCube Metroids (which I absolutely loved) and Assassins Creed 2 (which I absolutely loved) yet I just don't enjoy it at all.

So yeah. 1: Rocksteady can easily top Arkham Asylum as far as I'm concerned, and 2: I won't buy the sequel anyway.
B_G_G 51

Postby kaptainkiely » 30 Nov 2010, 09:31

B_G_G wrote:ve been trying to play Arkham Asylum for a couple of weeks, and I just don't like it. I can't explain it, it reminds me of a mix of the GameCube Metroids (which I absolutely loved) and Assassins Creed 2 (which I absolutely loved) yet I just don't enjoy it at all.

So yeah. 1: Rocksteady can easily top Arkham Asylum as far as I'm concerned, and 2: I won't buy the sequel anyway.

thats seems fair enough thats your opinion not everyone is going to like it but at least you gave it a try

i on the other hand really cant wait for the new Batman. AA was a brilliant xmas present last year and an unexpected gem. took me a while to complete felt great when i completed the game. im normally into just playing fps online but this was just great
kaptainkiely 35

Postby spam23 » 30 Nov 2010, 11:19

I bought the Arkham Asylum GOTY last week on steam for £5, having played it a couple of times at a mates on the 360. It's really good and I'm chuffed I got it so cheap. I hate those stun baton guys though, they suck bigtime, so my hope is that they aren't in Arkham City.

Getting info out of the bad men sounds like it could annoy me, quicksave had better be in there.
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby lank » 30 Nov 2010, 12:01

Personally the reason I loved AA so much was because of the atmosphere they managed to create, never mind the free flowing combat, so if they can recreate that, which I'm sure they will, then I'm sure AC will top it.

I heard some people saying the combat was a bit dumbed down because you simply point one way and press one button, point another way and press another button, but I don't really see the arguement there - if you don't wanna press buttons and point in directions then buy Kinnect.

The combat was fun and definetly took some skill if you wanted to counter, evade and take em all out without them laying a finger on you, especially them electric baton dude's cos you had to stun them first and in the chaos of it all you had to be planning two or three moves in front to keep your combo going.

I am a Batman fan but I'm not fanatical y'no? I know naff all in terms of details about him, don't read the comics or anything like that, but I thought they captured the essence of what a Dark Knight should be imo which is some sort of illusive, mysterious, intellectual badass - like Jeremy Paxman when someone won't answer his question.

And all the back story with character profiles and audio logs was brilliant to bring the player into the game without having to have any prior knowledge about any of it.

I probably won't get it though, last one didn't really do it for me.....
lank 38

Postby Isaaclarke » 30 Nov 2010, 12:07

I can't believe this preview is new, some of these details have changed.Like The Batmobile, it wont be their.Co-op for sure hasn't been confirmed.

I can't wait for the 11th Of December to check the new secrets revealed.
Isaaclarke 14

Postby stickyfiddle » 30 Nov 2010, 12:25

Boo to Robin- Nightwing pls!
stickyfiddle 38

PSN ID: stickyfiddle

Postby a.d » 30 Nov 2010, 12:59

Well it ain't gonna be any worse is it? They can't fail. The graphics look like some of the best i've seen.
The feeling of being stuck in a mental asylum was great, hopefully being out in the city doesn't take away that feeling but it was the only way forward and as i said i can't see it being any worse so it's all good.
Proud Gooner!
a.d 36

Xbox Live: alvstar84
PSN ID: alvstar1984

Postby Slacher007 » 30 Nov 2010, 13:58

how will this fit on one DVD?

if its anything like infamous this is going to be epic.

but what buildings can you and can't you enter?
"clothes make the man, naked people have little or no effect on society"

PSN: Slacher007
Slacher007 51

Postby KirinDarko » 18 Dec 2010, 15:24

I expect that the game will be of the hook, I just hope it will have some sort of free roam, because I'm a fan of the free roam world. Look forward to seeing the game, I just hope that the PC version won't be canceled or that by then the new Xbox 360 slim will be hacked.
KirinDarko 1
New user