to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

A conversation piece

Your comments on our articles.

Opinion: Tim Ingham is ready to champion developers' issues. If only they'd tell him what they were...

"We can't talk about that right now."... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

A conversation piece

Postby jimsondanet » 21 Oct 2010, 22:07

I think I asked this the last time you brought the DLC disc hate, but what gives?! Its opening the doors to content that some people would otherwise miss, an there must be enough of those cave dwellers otherwise they wouldnt be distributing it in the first place.
But aside from that I agree with your point on not getting enough love but you sure dont seem to be giving alot either, I mean ive been postin here every day for a few months now (not the longest I know) an ive seen baint neary a few responses to your readers from staff. (there was one on fallouts review, it was kinda funny actualy)
You know, I thought we had something special Tim...*sniff*...now its like you dont even care!
But yea, I agree the relationaship between devs, producers or whatever and press is kinda stale and predictable.
jimsondanet 38

Re: A conversation piece

Postby Tingham » 21 Oct 2010, 22:29

Howdy, Jimsondanet - and thanks for posting. It's our intention to get more involved with you guys going forward. Watch this space...
Tingham 60

Postby djreplay » 21 Oct 2010, 23:30

Glad we've cleared that up.
djreplay 57

Xbox Live: u crazy fools
PSN ID: djreplay

Postby DR_DARK » 22 Oct 2010, 00:43

I think this is the reason I love David Jaffe so much, despite not being a fan of Sony consoles and only briefly playing the games he's produced. The guy says what he means. And indeed, I respect that.

Great article, Tim.
http://twitter.com/DaxHalo
DR_DARK 53

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 22 Oct 2010, 10:18

I think this is where a lot of my respect for Peter Molyneux and Yes Bobby Kotick come from. They don't tend to mince words and actually give you some kind of insite into what is at times an incredibly secretive industry.

Tim, lots of us are on this site 5 days a week, that's right my job is that dull. So any chance of there being chances for us readers to provide more content for the site.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby StonecoldMC » 22 Oct 2010, 13:04

Another well written and thought out article, congrats CVG :shock: .

I think this is a problem that we are going to be facing sooner rather than later, I did a bit of digging regarding this Californian law that they are trying to pass and it really could affect the Games we all love to play. Im hopeful that the Bill doesnt get passed and sense triumphs over stupididity but this is America, so you never know.

As far as getting love from Devs and Producers, then this will never happen apart from a selected few like, Peter M, Cliff B, Itagaki, Randy Pitchford et al who are in the minority of saying what they want rather than what their Publishers expect and want them to say.

I would like to see you guys starting to talk to some of the smaller Devs out there, the recent article on Yager Development was insightful and a really good read because they dont have the same expectations that the lager Dev Houses have.

If you do get a good interview and some interesting comments from Devs in the future just dont go all Daily Star on us and sensationalise the tidbits of info you get CVG :wink: , then everyone will be happy. You, us and Devs.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Tw Rehab » 22 Oct 2010, 16:15

This is an interesting article, and something everybody struggles with.

Speaking in a personal capacity, there are two sides to this coin as you'd expect.
The hunger for news you mention often leads to sensationalist headlines that bear only a passing resemblance to the quote or question asked. Hence, often repeated, safe, answers.

Additionally we live in an age where people like to vilify and venerate personalities, as well as creating drama where none exists (The same hunger for news as above). If, for example, a developer has a different view on DLC or Age Ratings than their current publisher then this is often exploited as a 'rift' when it's really just an educated difference of opinion.

There are further complications, you may be involved in a committee or advisory capacity on a certain issue, and be unable to make public comment for fear falling foul of bias.

As a developer and one who is regularly interviewed I can say that interviews that cover the real meat of gaming, the laws, the personalities, the social implications are genuinely welcome and great fun. But they must be treated responsibly by the journalists posing the questions. If they're edited and presented out of context (As happens depressingly often) you end up with a PR problem, rather than an opinion shared.

The reception also depends vastly on the site / publication and its readership. You can expect certain types of treatment from different sites and their readers, and if what you're calling for is more informed debate and a respected sharing of opinion on what affects the industry in the 21st century many would welcome it.

Both sides of the conversation, that is the media and the Dev's would prefer certain changes, and we're in a classic unilateral disarmament situation in some cases, both requiring something of the other before they can change with confidence.

I think we can do it.

Kind regards,
Kieran

Studio Communications Manager
The Creative Assembly
Tw Rehab 14

Postby Dragovian » 23 Oct 2010, 14:29

Great article, Tim. I often find the games industry very "fake" and controlling.

What I'd like to see most is games created by Europe for Europe, without caring about the rest of the world's market. Take the "Hot Coffee" story, for example. The Americans really overreacted to that, whereas in the UK it had an 18 rating, so no problem. It's becoming ridiculous how little sex and nudity there is in games. Not that I'm desperate for whole games based on it, but it should crop up more often in RPG-type games if they are to become truly immersive. At the moment, though, if they go "too" far, it couldn't even be sold in the USA in normal shops.
Dragovian 34