David Jaffe: Medal Of Honor Taliban 'felt strange'

Your comments on our articles.

Twisted Metal man "could not play" - but defends EA over name-change

Twisted Metal and God Of War creator David Jaffe has explained that playing as the 'Taliban' in EA's Medal Of Honor left him "feeling strange" - to the point that he "simply could not play".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

David Jaffe: Medal Of Honor Taliban 'felt strange'

Postby xNick » 13 Oct 2010, 10:58

Playing as a group of people who are still walking around killing your own soldiers and stoning innocent women to death would make you feel strange I guess.
xNick 8

Re: David Jaffe: Medal Of Honor Taliban 'felt strange'

Postby pRM8 » 13 Oct 2010, 11:17

Jaffe, you speak so much s**t. You actually couldnt play a 'game' because the side you was on was happened to be called the taliban? Get f**king real, especially coming from the man who creates the sort of games you do with plenty of blood and violence. Every f**king conflict has two sides, they have to be called something so why not the proper names?

99% of people when playing the game dont give a f**king s**t what each side is actually called anyway, all they are worried about is nailling the opposite team players and trying to get as high as they can in the scoreboard as possible.

I apologize for some of my language but David here is used to it...
Avoiding Destruction Since 1982...
The CVG Player strikes again!
pRM8 61

Postby lmimmfn » 13 Oct 2010, 11:39

Agreed, what an idiot, ITS A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 13 Oct 2010, 11:59

lmimmfn wrote:Agreed, what an idiot, ITS A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!

So from your logic games about, oh say, child abuse, would be perfectly acceptable? I mean it would just be a photorealistic recreation of events and thats ok, yeah? Its just a game, nothing for people to get disturbed about.
"A widespread investigation of funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead have been returning to life and seeking human victims. It's hard for us here to be reporting this to you, but it does seem to be a fact."
zombiesinmyhead 46

Postby The Bossman » 13 Oct 2010, 12:09

'Just tried MOH multiplayer and they spawned me as Taliban and I simply could not play. I would not shoot. Wanted a surrender button. I **** you not.'

f**king NOBHEAD! This guy is a class A tw@. He can't stand artsy games, but then says GOW3 is the best f**king game you've ever seen. Yeah, sure sure :roll:
The Bossman 47

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby TheChap » 13 Oct 2010, 12:40

Has he not played Counter-Strike at any point in the last 11 years?
TheChap 37

Postby pRM8 » 13 Oct 2010, 13:56

zombiesinmyhead wrote:
lmimmfn wrote:Agreed, what an idiot, ITS A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!

So from your logic games about, oh say, child abuse, would be perfectly acceptable? I mean it would just be a photorealistic recreation of events and thats ok, yeah? Its just a game, nothing for people to get disturbed about.

Thats a bit of an extreame counter-point and not a very good example. There has never been a 'child abuse' game and never will be. But there have been plenty of military shooters and there will be plenty more developed in the future.

The name doesnt matter, its the stupid reaction to the names used that are OTT and way to PC thats the problem.
pRM8 61

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 13 Oct 2010, 14:34

Thats a bit of an extreame counter-point and not a very good example. There has never been a 'child abuse' game and never will be. But there have been plenty of military shooters and there will be plenty more developed in the future.

The name doesnt matter, its the stupid reaction to the names used that are OTT and way to PC thats the problem.

It was an example chosen to provoke a response, so in that respect I'd say it was bang on the nose. And since when has having a bit of maturity and respect been Politically Correct? Adult, responsible, perhaps, but politically correct? No, not really, we're not talking about giving jobs to ethnic lesbians here.
If Danger Close's whole justification for this tedious little episode has been to show respect for the US forces, then the people who are defending it completely dissolve the whole argument by shouting 'its just a game' at everybody who just thinks there should be a bit of distance here. Is it thought provoking? Does it show the events from the view of the soldier? Nah, its just a game. A s**t one too, as it turns out.
"A widespread investigation of funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead have been returning to life and seeking human victims. It's hard for us here to be reporting this to you, but it does seem to be a fact."
zombiesinmyhead 46

Postby thedriffter50 » 13 Oct 2010, 15:19

Oh Jaffe you hate '' Arty fartsy games '' but will gladly buy a shooter wont you ?
PS3 FTW !!!
thedriffter50 44

Postby speedpacer » 13 Oct 2010, 15:28

I'm glad he felt strange. It means that he's proud of his country, and I admire that in a man, something I can't say for a lot of you. As a veteran of the Armed Forces who served during both Operation Desert Storm and Operation Enduring Freedom, someone who spent time in the middle east sleeping on a cot in a tent with a gas mask under my pillow, someone who lived in New York City and has once stood atop the World Trade Center, someone who served and fought for the freedom and safety of the people of this great country, I'm ashamed of some of you, and I'm ashamed of EA. Perhaps you didn't have a loved one who died in the events of 9/11, or died while over there serving in the military, or watched a loved one being publicly beheaded on television or youtube. I can understand that you may not fully appreciate this situation, but I don't understand how you can have absolutely no sensitivity to this subject at all. This is your country and these are your fellow countrymen, fighting for your freedom and safety. Our blood is still drying on the Taliban's hands. Show some respect.
speedpacer 2
New user

Postby thecreator » 13 Oct 2010, 15:34

What a moron. EA's 'Taliban' is just what they call the enemy in multiplayer. Its no different to playing the bad guys in any multiplayer FPS wether it be germans, russians or anyone else. Nobody has ever moaned about playing the germans in a game and before anyone says its because the Taliban are more current, thats bull, its just another excuse for the PC brigade and people to jump on the bandwagon and have a moan at popular entertainment.
Its the same people that would buy an 18 game for their kid then moan it has violence in it.
thecreator 25

Postby stroypa » 13 Oct 2010, 16:23

I don't personally agree with being able to play as the taliban in this game. There may be a fine line between playing as "op for" or "axis" and playing as the actual taliban but there is a line nonetheless. There's lots of people saying that you play as the germans in ww2 games and that nobody made a fuss about that but you don't actually play as the nazi's, and even then I still recall people being upset by it. It does make a difference because although it may only be a name, it's what it represents and stands for that matters. It wasn't "the axis" that killed millions of jews and committed all those attrocities, it was the nazi's.
It's the same with this game. If they called them something else then it would take away the realism of it, and that's what matters here. I don't think that if the developers called them something else that it would effect the gameplay of this game at all. Would it make people less upset about this? yes. So then why don't they change the name? Because they're money grabbing bastards and they knew that this would stir up publicity for a game that doesn't deserve it. They should be disgusted with themselves because they've no doubt upset countless people, including families of men and women serving in the armed services. Is it PC to change the name so that people aren't upset? Or is it called having compassion, and not being stubborn assholes?
"Then I went back to bone her, but the mosquitoes were going crazy and she said there was no way."
stroypa 37

PSN ID: stroypa

Postby pRM8 » 13 Oct 2010, 17:30

zombiesinmyhead wrote:

It was an example chosen to provoke a response, so in that respect I'd say it was bang on the nose. And since when has having a bit of maturity and respect been Politically Correct? Adult, responsible, perhaps, but politically correct? No, not really, we're not talking about giving jobs to ethnic lesbians here.
If Danger Close's whole justification for this tedious little episode has been to show respect for the US forces, then the people who are defending it completely dissolve the whole argument by shouting 'its just a game' at everybody who just thinks there should be a bit of distance here. Is it thought provoking? Does it show the events from the view of the soldier? Nah, its just a game. A s**t one too, as it turns out.

Seems you are getting confused between the single-player and multi-player, it was DICE that developed the multi-player and all this uproar is because one of the sides (which you can play as) is named as the taliban. The single-players still shows respect for the US forces and shows the events from the view of those soldiers.

But what about the countless other games out there where we can play as terrorists or nazi's? No one bothered about those then? No, just the taliban. Its a bit selective isn't it?

Oh and if you think that the scores given for it means its a s**t game than you must have a pretty small games collection. And If you've played it and think its s**t then fair do's, move on the Black ops.
pRM8 61

Postby stroypa » 13 Oct 2010, 17:40

But what about the countless other games out there where we can play as terrorists or nazi's?

I can't think of a single game, certainly not recently were they were actually called "nazi''s". As for terrorists they are such a generlised enemy that nobody really cares. If they were actually called ETA or al qaeda or an actual real terrorist group then maybe, but as far as I'm aware there isn't a sinlge game where that is possible.
"Then I went back to bone her, but the mosquitoes were going crazy and she said there was no way."
stroypa 37

PSN ID: stroypa

Postby slothfull9 » 13 Oct 2010, 19:14

I was impressed by No Russian but didn't care one bit about mowing the peeps down. Hell, I wanted to see what kind of death animations they had in No Russian.

Hmm, it was okay to virtually kill Russian civilians, but not US troops engaged in a war? So I suppose he'd approve of a Russian player not playing that level, but it would be alright for them to play the Taliban and enjoy mowing down US troops - just to see 'what kind of death animations' they had?
Am I a p***y

The word in that context surely refers to the cat, and is not a s*xual reference! :D
slothfull9 45

Next