CoD: Black Ops sets pre-order records

Your comments on our articles.

GameStop says it's tracking ahead of 'standard setter' Modern Warfare 2

Leading US games retailer GameStop says it has taken an "all-time" record number of pre-orders for Call of Duty: Black Ops.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

CoD: Black Ops sets pre-order records

Postby Mogs » 08 Oct 2010, 10:50

A sad indictment of the maliability of the human race. A few hints and suggestions are all it takes to make people dance to your tune.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Re: CoD: Black Ops sets pre-order records

Postby Mark240473 » 08 Oct 2010, 11:00

It actually feels great, not being excited by this next instalment in any way, shape or form.

I think I'll just stick to Halo for my shooter kicks.

For me, the more features that are added to the COD mix, the more they detract from the fun, relatively simple experience that I enjoy from online shooters.
This post was brought to you by SarkyMarky.
Mark240473 64

Xbox Live: BobozeTheBear
PSN ID: MarkyUK

Postby davidmhodgey » 08 Oct 2010, 11:18

Mogs wrote:A sad indictment of the maliability of the human race. A few hints and suggestions are all it takes to make people dance to your tune.

F*cking hell it's just a game. Cheer up min! Also I think you meant "malleability".
davidmhodgey 29

Postby slaney » 08 Oct 2010, 11:24

See, everyone moans about call of duty, but i think the fact that records are made every single year proves a point somehow.
we all love a shooter, and call of duty does the job. each one has a different setting, new mode etc to keep things a bit fresh :) for those of you who complain not enough is changed; if too much is changed, it isnt call of duty anymore.
gamers continue to buy it because its what everybody would be playing - why keep with cod4 when the servers will be empty in a few weeks?

oh, and i hate activision as much as the next guy.
slaney 37

Postby justforkicks101 » 08 Oct 2010, 11:26

Mogs wrote:A sad indictment of the maliability of the human race. A few hints and suggestions are all it takes to make people dance to your tune.

LOL
Im Playing tons of Planetside 2 with
Rock Planet Shotgun, on Miller, Join us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPlanetShotgun
justforkicks101 65

Xbox Live: jfk101
PSN ID: jfk101
Steam: jfk101
xFire: justforkicks101

Postby Mogs » 08 Oct 2010, 11:26

davidmhodgey wrote:

F*cking hell it's just a game. Cheer up min! Also I think you meant "malleability".

It's not just a game - it's Call of Duty, owned by Activision. Do I really need to list their widely-reported scandalous behaviour? If CoD continues to be successful, after everything Activision have done, it will reinforce their clear belief that they can do anything they want and people will still lap it up in their droves.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 08 Oct 2010, 11:28

Wouldn't people signing up for an annual update be the opposite of malleable? :? Rigid, or intractable perhaps?

If you're concerned about control theory, I'd be more worried about the x-factor. That show freaks the f*ck out of me.
"A widespread investigation of funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead have been returning to life and seeking human victims. It's hard for us here to be reporting this to you, but it does seem to be a fact."
zombiesinmyhead 46

Postby justforkicks101 » 08 Oct 2010, 11:56

bring back Gamu !
Im Playing tons of Planetside 2 with
Rock Planet Shotgun, on Miller, Join us.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPlanetShotgun
justforkicks101 65

Xbox Live: jfk101
PSN ID: jfk101
Steam: jfk101
xFire: justforkicks101

Postby anytime » 08 Oct 2010, 12:02

This is going to be bigger than MW2, an amoeba could see that.
anytime 45

Postby MutilateTheDead » 08 Oct 2010, 12:58

People moan every year that the new call of duty is just a clone of the one that was released the year before yet people continue to buy the fifa games, please tell me that its only chavs that buy fifa games and no one else is that stupid to buy them??
MutilateTheDead 50

Xbox Live: MutilateTheDead
PSN ID: IHave1Ball

Postby Bright-Light » 08 Oct 2010, 12:59

MutilateTheDead wrote:People moan every year that the new call of duty is just a clone of the one that was released the year before yet people continue to buy the fifa games, please tell me that its only chavs that buy fifa games and no one else is that stupid to buy them??

I buy fifa games, cos they are awesome. I am not a chav. I hope that helps answer your question.
Bright-Light 47

Postby Bright-Light » 08 Oct 2010, 13:02

[quote="Mogs]
It's not just a game - it's Call of Duty, owned by Activision. Do I really need to list their widely-reported scandalous behaviour? If CoD continues to be successful, after everything Activision have done, it will reinforce their clear belief that they can do anything they want and people will still lap it up in their droves.[/quote]

Mogs, you talk about activision as if they have carried out some heinous attrocities. They aint exaclty nestle. I could take your anger seriously if you tell me right now that you have never eaten a kitkat.
Bright-Light 47

Postby moss66 » 08 Oct 2010, 13:08

Looks like Bobbys right after all. He can go around screwing everyone, tell everyone they love being screwed and they will love it so much they will be back for more(and charge you more). Obviously theres a market out there for people who like this kind of treatment otherwise dominatrixs wouldnt exist.

Bobby just seems to be the symptom rather than the problem.
moss66 40

Postby equinox80 » 08 Oct 2010, 13:10

A sad indictment of the maliability of the human race. A few hints and suggestions are all it takes to make people dance to your tune.

It's not just a game - it's Call of Duty, owned by Activision. Do I really need to list their widely-reported scandalous behaviour? If CoD continues to be successful, after everything Activision have done, it will reinforce their clear belief that they can do anything they want and people will still lap it up in their droves.

I kind of see where you're coming from but we live in a free market with supply and demand. Activision in my mind is just a business which charges x amount because it knows it has a good product which people are wiling to pay x amount for. There will come a point where if they take the p**s too much people won't buy their products which I think will happen if they charge for online play.

As things stand at the moment I like COD and play MW2 and WaW a lot and have had Black Ops pre-ordered for a while as I want more of the same but with enough differences to offer a new experience. I like the way COD games play as do the millions who buy COD and play on line do so why tinker with a winning formula too much. They tweak the formula enough every year just the right amount in my opinion.

As for map packs, they are pricey but I never thought obscenely so. I bought the Resurgence pack for 1200 points and I've had more use out of those 5 extra maps than I have out of some XBLA games which I've paid 1200 points for. Having never played MW1, all 5 maps were new to me so the 1200 point price point wasn't as galling for me as it was those who'd played them on MW. Both map packs are on XBL now for 600 points each which I think is very reasonable.

In short I think the anti Activision thing gets over done a bit and COD games will sell well whilst ever they're still great. If Activision decide to up the price of map packs or charge for on line play then they will have gone to far and I'll join the anti Acti band wagon but for now I'll keep 'lapping it up' as it were.
equinox80 43

Xbox Live: Equinox80
PSN ID: Equinox80

Postby The_KFD_Case » 08 Oct 2010, 13:25

"We are ahead of where we were with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 last year, which previously set the industry standard."

I dispute that claim. It set the record, true, but it's hardly the standard performance for pre-orders. *sigh* Here we go again....
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Next