Shadow of the Colossus film translation 'complex'

Your comments on our articles.

Japanese culture and Hollywood clash

Kevin Ping Chang, production executive at Shadow of the Colossus film company, Misher Films, has said a cultural gap between Japan and Hollywood has made the project "complex".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Shadow of the Colossus film translation 'complex'

Postby Little Franklin » 23 Sep 2010, 15:17

"There is a certain art form that comes from the East, different than what we find in the West - how do you mix those together and still capture the game's vision?"
If it's a game adaptation I'm guessing it's aiming for the blockbuster market making the two "art forms" completely incompatible.

Still nice to hear the origional team is being consulted, maybe this film will be slightly better than complete s**t.
Little Franklin 41

Re: Shadow of the Colossus film translation 'complex'

Postby churchy » 23 Sep 2010, 16:21

I'd rather there was no hollywood involvment whatsoever. Just make the film in an eastern studio. It'll be much better in the long run and on the whole I'm sick of the s**t that Hollywood pumps out.
If it can't be done because of budget then either get one of the few directors in hollywood who has any artistic vision left (e.g. Lynch, Fincher etc) or don't make it at all.
churchy 34

Postby djjimmy » 23 Sep 2010, 16:39

churchy wrote:I'd rather there was no hollywood involvment whatsoever. Just make the film in an eastern studio. It'll be much better in the long run and on the whole I'm sick of the s**t that Hollywood pumps out.

Wholeheartedly agree. Hollywood have a rubbish repution for churning out bullcrap movies that are meant to be based on games, so keeping this project in the east gives it a much better chance of being decent, especially since its an eastern game, they probably understand the games vision alot better than any so called American "filmmakers".

Take movies like The Grudge, The Ring and any other eastern movie that has had a Hollywood rehash for example, the originals have all been pretty decent and certainly watchable but once handed over to the US they've all had s**t remakes.
djjimmy 35

Postby budge » 23 Sep 2010, 17:32

If it was remade in Hollywood then you're guaranteed that somewhere in the movie a car will flip over!
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67