to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Uncharted movie heads to purgatory

Your comments on our articles.

Potential director drops out of negotiations

Despite being cream of the gaming crop and seemingly perfect for Hollywood, Negotiations for an Uncharted movie director have failed, leaving the project in limbo.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Uncharted movie heads to purgatory

Postby Chandler824 » 04 Aug 2010, 11:06

now we can truly rank Uncharted up there with Halo and Metal Gear Solid.

i'm not against films of games, it just seems the only one to get it nearly right was Silent Hill (even though Sean Bean somehow sounds like a northern american). It got the tone of the games spot on for me.

as a gamer i've been burnt before by these, loved the Hitman games; hated the film. loved the resi games; hated the awful films.
Chandler824 29

Postby Mogs » 04 Aug 2010, 11:12

Hollywood is f**king pathetic, haven't they got ANY decent writers left...with a brain...and an imagination? Or is it just that the suits will only back something if it has an established brand behind it?

RIP American film industry.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby altitude2k » 04 Aug 2010, 11:21

Mogs wrote:Hollywood is f**king pathetic, haven't they got ANY decent writers left...with a brain...and an imagination? Or is it just that the suits will only back something if it has an established brand behind it?

I'd say Uncharted is pretty well established.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby Mogs » 04 Aug 2010, 11:45

altitude2k wrote:
Mogs wrote:Hollywood is f**king pathetic, haven't they got ANY decent writers left...with a brain...and an imagination? Or is it just that the suits will only back something if it has an established brand behind it?

Yes that's my point. Although this is in limbo the very fact that they're even trying to make a film out of it (and other games) shows how lacking in ideas Hollywood is.

Comic book/game adaptations, remakes and sequels. That's seemingly all they can do now. Not got an original idea between them.
Mogs 60

Postby budge » 04 Aug 2010, 11:47

I adore uncharted and Drake is a very likeable guy so unless they get all the game actors onboard to play the characters in the film, then i don't think it would work. The closest actor with the same charisma is Noah Wyle from The Librarian, in my opinion.

I'd much prefer a Mass Effect movie but it'd be wrong for myself seeing Commander Shepard as a he instead of a she. :)
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby altitude2k » 04 Aug 2010, 11:48

Mogs wrote:
altitude2k wrote:

Yes that's my point. Although this is in limbo the very fact that they're even trying to make a film out of it (and other games) shows how lacking in ideas Hollywood is.

Comic book/game adaptations, remakes and sequels. That's seemingly all they can do now. Not got an original idea between them.

Actually I'd say that game adaptations is something they seemingly CAN'T do!
altitude2k 64

Postby altitude2k » 04 Aug 2010, 11:49

budge wrote:I adore uncharted and Drake is a very likeable guy so unless they get all the game actors onboard to play the characters in the film, then i don't think it would work. The closest actor with the same charisma is Noah Wyle from The Librarian, in my opinion.

I'd much prefer a Mass Effect movie but it'd be wrong for myself seeing Commander Shepard as a he instead of a she. :)

You bumder! :lol:
altitude2k 64

Postby Mogs » 04 Aug 2010, 11:51

Indeed, but they keep trying desperately.
Mogs 60

Postby budge » 04 Aug 2010, 12:09

altitude2k wrote:
budge wrote:I adore uncharted and Drake is a very likeable guy so unless they get all the game actors onboard to play the characters in the film, then i don't think it would work. The closest actor with the same charisma is Noah Wyle from The Librarian, in my opinion.

Yeah, i did word that a tad man loving didn't i?

:?
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby altitude2k » 04 Aug 2010, 12:14

budge wrote:
altitude2k wrote:

Yeah, i did word that a tad man loving didn't i?

:?

Nothing wrong with an occasional plutonic man-crush.
altitude2k 64

Postby Padua » 04 Aug 2010, 12:32

Movies are adapted from books - so why not video games? Many of the AAA titles are overflowing with creativity and endless ideas.

It is surprising just how bad video game to movie adaptions are though. I put that down to the laziness and incompetence of the directors.

Halo could be box office gold. 8)
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Metagen » 04 Aug 2010, 13:15

Well of course Halo would be box office gold, most people with an Xbox would go see it. But that doesn't mean it won't have a brown and stinky centre.
Metagen 52

Postby MrPirtniw » 04 Aug 2010, 13:44

Considering just how good District 9 was- had the Halo movie gone according to plan it would've been epic.

Bumder? Who's been watching the Inbetweeners? :lol:
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby altitude2k » 04 Aug 2010, 14:27

MrPirtniw wrote:Considering just how good District 9 was- had the Halo movie gone according to plan it would've been epic.

Bumder? Who's been watching the Inbetweeners? :lol:

:wink:
altitude2k 64

Postby Orox » 04 Aug 2010, 17:32

Probably a good thing for now.

Knowing Hollywoods current obsession with casting Ryan Reynolds in everything that requires a witty bad-ass, they probably had him in mind.
Orox 32

Next