Silent Hill 8 trailer creeps in

Your comments on our articles.

Debut video follows E3 reveal

Konami's released the debut trailer for the next Silent Hill game coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Silent Hill 8 trailer creeps in

Postby slick loose » 28 Jun 2010, 09:42

From the video that looked incredibly unoriginal. And let me guess, your character is either a prisoner for a crime he didn't commit or for something he deeply regrets.

Believe it or not but I would like to play as an 8yr old school kid, someone disabled OR an old person. It would be more original and MUCH more scary...imo anyway.

Granny with a lead pipe FTW!
slick loose 68

PSN ID: slickloose

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 28 Jun 2010, 10:08

I really want this to be good, seriously I do, Id lob of a testicle for it to be a repeat of Silent Hill 2. However, it wont, it will be utter garbage and we all know it. I long to be surprised but It isnt going to happen is it...
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby dark_gamer » 28 Jun 2010, 11:51

Personally I'm liking the look of this. Loving the music at least :)
Gamertag: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
dark_gamer 53

Postby feeg86 » 28 Jun 2010, 12:57

8? Really?

Looks toss. Unimaginative to say the least.

Silent Hill died wth 3.
feeg86 43

Postby jadehill2001 » 28 Jun 2010, 13:10

Why must people write Silent Hill games off before playing the damn thing? Silent Hill has at least stuck to it's roots unlike Resident Evil that doesn't seem to believe in scary anymore.

This is being worked on by an entirely different developer and they might even, god forbid, make a bloody good job of it.

I think it looks amazing and this is all we have to go on atm. Yes, the Japanese scare better than the brits and the yanks do but cut other developers some slack. The Czech's might do an excellent job of it.
jadehill2001 34

Postby ukdruid » 28 Jun 2010, 15:43

Seriously, why do people always say a games gonna be crap even thought its only just been announced?.

And please please please stop saying games are unoriginal, if you think you can come up with something original then put your money were your mouth is and show people how amazing you are ok?.

Originality in todays world is alot harder to achieve not only in games but other entertainment, and if developers wouldnt make any games until they came up with something orginal we'd never get any new games.
ukdruid 42

Postby slick loose » 28 Jun 2010, 15:56

And please please please stop saying games are unoriginal, if you think you can come up with something original then put your money were your mouth is and show people how amazing you are ok?.

Originality in todays world is alot harder to achieve not only in games but other entertainment, and if developers wouldnt make any games until they came up with something orginal we'd never get any new games

Like I said playing as someone really vulnerable, i.e a small child, someone with a disability or an elderly person would imo really ramp up the tension. Unable to properly knowing or being able to defend yourself whole being chased by a scary ass monster would sacre me. Playing as a generic character who can look after himself as been all done before, HENCE UNORIGINAL!

There you go, money where my mouth is...which means i'm allowed an opinion now, right oh mighty ukdruid?
slick loose 68

PSN ID: slickloose

Postby ste hicky » 28 Jun 2010, 16:31

feeg86 wrote:8? Really?

Looks toss. Unimaginative to say the least.

Silent Hill died wth 3.
hard to argue and even 3 didn't do it for me in the way the 1st 2 did.

i enjoyed seeing the tale come full circle though.

the only sh's i've tried since are the room for ps2,homecoming on my mates 360 and shattered memories for the wii.

akira yamaoka doesn't do the soundtracks anymore. 'memories was his swansong.

check this,it's called 'hell frozen rain' from the wii game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teUYh0pT6MM

sweet way to bow out. just won't be the same without him.

the last link to team silent has gone. :cry:
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
ste hicky 64

Postby Deleuze » 28 Jun 2010, 16:51

Like some of the other posters, I also think that this trailer doesn't present the game as being original. Most, if not all, of the elements presented and the style of presentation were generic.

As someone else mentioned already, the character is the first problem. Why do we always have to play as these boring, one-dimensional, "in control" characters? The relationship between the player and the character is one of the most important elements in a game. In a horror game it would therefore make sense to play as a character that is vulnerable (as already pointed out), more than one-dimensional (perhaps you could play as a schizophrenic or something like that), and unusual. I think it would be great, though perhaps impossible, to play as a character that evokes a feeling of the uncanny, so that the player would feel as if they both were and were not the main character. Here's dreaming!

The feeling of identification with the character you play as needs to be played with dynamically in the game. Likewise, the "control" you have over the character also needs to be disrupted sometimes. There is a risk, of course, of alienating the player from the character. Therefore, a horror game, perhaps more than other genres, needs to tread a fine line between total alienation and total identification.

I also think that the gameplay is crucial here too. It's all very well creating a frightening environment for the player to interact with, but if the gameplay empowers the player too much then he or she won't feel sufficiently frightened. The gameplay needs to be more original, dynamic and unpredictable. Again, there is a risk of the player feeling resentful towards the game if the player feels as though the game runs according to pure chance. But I think that some games have managed to tread this fine line, though not always throughout the entire game.

Here's hoping that this Silent Hill turns out well. But based purely on this trailer alone, I'm not that hopeful.

Thanks for reading my thoughts.
Deleuze 27

Postby jadehill2001 » 28 Jun 2010, 17:14

Why are you all complaining about a character we know nothing about. All we know is that he's in jail - we don't know why, we don't know where the character comes from or what he represents.

You're bing picky.
jadehill2001 34

Postby ukdruid » 29 Jun 2010, 15:06

slick loose wrote:

Originality in todays world is alot harder to achieve not only in games but other entertainment, and if developers wouldnt make any games until they came up with something orginal we'd never get any new games

Like I said playing as someone really vulnerable, i.e a small child, someone with a disability or an elderly person would imo really ramp up the tension. Unable to properly knowing or being able to defend yourself whole being chased by a scary ass monster would sacre me. Playing as a generic character who can look after himself as been all done before, HENCE UNORIGINAL!

There you go, money where my mouth is...which means i'm allowed an opinion now, right oh mighty ukdruid?

I didnt realise you had to be disabled or be a small child to be vulnerable, thats news to me.

And your basing the fact hes a criminal and knows how to pickup and point a gun as being able to take care of himself?, or do you have some inside knowledge that hes some kind of badass ex-special forces guy that could snap a persons neck with 2 fingers?.
ukdruid 42