Xbox slim doesn't red ring... it 'red dots'

Your comments on our articles.

Microsoft support reveals our new friend: the red dot of death

Microsoft's confirmed that the new Xbox 360 'slim' doesn't suffer the red ring of death... because it's changed it to the 'red dot of death'.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby ricflair » 18 Jun 2010, 10:31

If it does still RROD or RDOD or whatever, it will be a f**king joke. On the original model I can kinda understand, on a rejigged model there really is no excuse.
Future Plc, you bloody idiots.

RIP CVG. Long live CVGSC!! http://cvgsc.boards.net - http://thewildbunchcvg.wix.com/cvgsc
ricflair 78

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 18 Jun 2010, 10:37

When you say [Red Ring] is an old problem, you've got to go really old. It's unfortunate, and I'm not trying to dismiss it. It hurts me personally when that happens.

Its not that old Albert, mine RROD'd just a month ago (out of warranty). Did it hurt you? Did you feel a tremor in the force and shed a tear for my x-xbox? It hurt me to the tune of £120 for a new arcade, then you bring this new one out a couple of weeks later.

Gaming is turning into a real circus.
zombiesinmyhead 46

Postby metallicorphan » 18 Jun 2010, 10:39

i think i will just sit back and wait to see how common this 'new Friend' is before even thinking of upgrading
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby svd_grasshopper » 18 Jun 2010, 10:51

heard it uses the X clamp still that cause RROD so it's still subject to it. :?

i'd have put 2 fans in there, it was the DVD has was making the din, not any fans.

don't know why MS and sony use error lights. it just creates a buzzword that becomes stigmatic... if your machine doesn't turn on, you know there is a problem.
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby allygray69 » 18 Jun 2010, 11:09

Currently a PS3 user myself but have been looking at getting an xbox 360 arcade in the next few weeks,as i have about £100 saved on a game card, not fussed about the new model to be honest. But these stories do worry me. Im not a huge user, maybe 1-2 hours gametime max a day. Can I ask, is there still a 3 year warranty on RROD on the old version? and is it also on the new version aswell?
allygray69 57

Xbox Live: GrandTheftAlly
PSN ID: GrandTheftAli
Steam: allygray69

Postby pmantis » 18 Jun 2010, 11:09

I do have to credit sony on the slim. Ive had mine for around 8 months and its running fine. I will wait awhile before i pick up one of these 360's.
pmantis 32

Postby altitude2k » 18 Jun 2010, 11:12

svd_grasshopper wrote:don't know why MS and sony use error lights. it just creates a buzzword that becomes stigmatic... if your machine doesn't turn on, you know there is a problem.

Probably because there's going to be a lot of people you can't rely on having turned it on at the plug, or plugging the video out in, or something equally as daft.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Re: Xbox slim doesn't red ring... it 'red dots'

Postby StonecoldMC » 18 Jun 2010, 11:14

ricflair wrote:If it does still RROD or RDOD or whatever, it will be a f**king joke. On the original model I can kinda understand, on a rejigged model there really is no excuse.

Bingo Ric, Bingo!!

I pre ordered one of the new 360's yesterday (my launch model has seen better days) but if it does get the red dot ... *%@*~#!!??!!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby altitude2k » 18 Jun 2010, 11:17

StonecoldMC wrote:
ricflair wrote:If it does still RROD or RDOD or whatever, it will be a f**king joke. On the original model I can kinda understand, on a rejigged model there really is no excuse.

Bingo Ric, Bingo!!

I pre ordered one of the new 360's yesterday (my launch model has seen better days) but if it does get the red dot ... *%@*~#!!??!!

I wonder if you still get the extended warranty.
altitude2k 64

Postby lordirongut » 18 Jun 2010, 11:18

The new slim one kills discs again as well apparently. Dtoid put in a copy of Alan Wake and they only moved it slightly but the disc was totally destroyed. It doesn't bode well if people will be playing Kinect games round it either, does it?
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 68

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby altitude2k » 18 Jun 2010, 11:22

lordirongut wrote:The new slim one kills discs again as well apparently. Dtoid put in a copy of Alan Wake and they only moved it slightly but the disc was totally destroyed. It doesn't bode well if people will be playing Kinect games round it either, does it?

I've seen that video and it's far more than "only moved it slightly"!

I wouldn't even turn my laptop (which is MEANT to be moved around) like that if the disc was spinning!
altitude2k 64

Postby svd_grasshopper » 18 Jun 2010, 11:29

altitude2k wrote:
lordirongut wrote:The new slim one kills discs again as well apparently. Dtoid put in a copy of Alan Wake and they only moved it slightly but the disc was totally destroyed. It doesn't bode well if people will be playing Kinect games round it either, does it?

I wouldn't even turn my laptop (which is MEANT to be moved around) like that if the disc was spinning!

but if you were a ps3 fanboy, you would move your laptop around with disc spinning... i mean come on. discs are snapped into laptops there is no chance of them coming out. don't be silly.

you can turn CD drives upside down or on their side while reading. done it plenty times when building PC's.

stop making excuses. i've never had a disc based product that spat the disc out while it was spinning if nudged or turned over.
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby FatBoyFonz » 18 Jun 2010, 11:34

zombiesinmyhead wrote:Its not that old Albert, mine RROD'd just a month ago (out of warranty). Did it hurt you? Did you feel a tremor in the force and shed a tear for my x-xbox? It hurt me to the tune of £120 for a new arcade, then you bring this new one out a couple of weeks later.

Ditto, I could've waited a few days to see what E3 would bring, but even if I had I wouldn't have wanted to go a month without an Xbox so opted for the Arcade.
FatBoyFonz 77

Xbox Live: FatBoyFonz

Postby svd_grasshopper » 18 Jun 2010, 11:51

altitude2k wrote:
svd_grasshopper wrote:
altitude2k wrote:

but if you were a ps3 fanboy, you would move your laptop around with disc spinning... i mean come on. discs are snapped into laptops there is no chance of them coming out. don't be silly.

you can turn CD drives upside down or on their side while reading. done it plenty times when building PC's.

stop making excuses. i've never had a disc based product that spat the disc out while it was spinning if nudged or turned over.

Stop making a special effort to comment on every single hardware-related 360 thread just to spout insults at an inanimate object and maybe I'll stop speaking logic, like adding a more expensive DVD-drive designed to be in a portable device makes no sense in a device that's meant to be stationary.

stop talking garbage. you say you wouldn't move a laptop when the disc was spinning (when you know there isn't a chance in hell of it coming out) as if to excuse the 360 for spitting out discs.

just becase it SHOULD be stationary doesn't mean you shouldn't protect it from knocks or bumps which will be inevitable from many users.

cars aren't meant to be crashed, but incase someone else ACCIDENTLY smacks you, they have airbags.

MS are just cheap. they know about the problem and left it be.

inexcusable. the ps3 or wii doesn't do it.

thats right, delete that nonsense... you know you were in the wrong.
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby altitude2k » 18 Jun 2010, 11:54

Do you actually like any games? Just out of interest.
altitude2k 64

Next