to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Report: Kinect only works standing up

Your comments on our articles.

Start building those leg muslces...

Kinect won't work if players are sitting down, claim developers who've worked with Microsoft's motion cam.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby svd_grasshopper » 17 Jun 2010, 11:26

don't suppose it can map a body that looks like its missing its thighs, hunched over and sitting beneath the camera. you are gonna look like a blob to the camera basically.

this this is gonna bomb big time.

how can you drive with this anyway? pretend your 7 again and holding an imaginary steering wheel? thats pathetic.

lag + no feedback = fail.
Last edited by svd_grasshopper on 17 Jun 2010, 11:34, edited 3 times in total.
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby wildhook2 » 17 Jun 2010, 11:26

Yeah, read that on NeoGAF last night and the Net exploded all night!
wildhook2 54

Postby Black Mantis » 17 Jun 2010, 11:27

Black Mantis 67

Postby only_777 » 17 Jun 2010, 11:28

It's pretty much all over for Kinect really.
This time next year it'll be in the bargin bins.

Also about the Greenburg 'debunked' thing above, well what he actually said matches what the artical says.
You can't trust a consoles PR anyway.
Last edited by only_777 on 17 Jun 2010, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
only_777 61

Postby dark_gamer » 17 Jun 2010, 11:28

I'm guessing it's because Kinect needs to recognize the full human figure or something? Though I'm sure developers will be able to figure it out as times goes on because otherwise it would be absolutely ridiculous (like CVG pointed out with the racing game example).
Gamertag: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
dark_gamer 53

Re: Report: Kinect only works standing up

Postby ste hicky » 17 Jun 2010, 11:30

not quite. it could be you stand for games and sit to watch a movie,for example.

he did say it depends on the game or experience.
You took away tomorrow, Still I stand...
ste hicky 64

Postby ParmaViolet » 17 Jun 2010, 11:31

That is pretty bad, if true.

Still, I really don't get the feeling that we've learnt an awful lot about Kinetic through MS at E3. All we really saw was what we all basically expected - if that's all it will be, it's a totally missed opportunity.

The thing is, if you have to stand up to use the 360 replay functionality that was demoed for ESPN, no-one will ever use it. If you have to stand up to flick through menus on your dashboard, it'll get used sparingly.

The technology has some brilliant features and could be used in so many ways, but it sounds as if the hardware is not quite there and it's being used with little imagination.

A real shame, to be honest.

:)
ParmaViolet 66

Postby ParmaViolet » 17 Jun 2010, 11:36

only_777 wrote:It's pretty much all over for Kinect really.

I think that's a bit of a hasty comment. I can still see it selling in reasonable numbers - MS will promote it to the hilt and there are plenty of people that will be excited by dancing games and the like (as the sales of Just Dance can verify).

I just think it's a bit of a wasted opportunity (if it is true) and I really think MS should have at least given us some other ideas of how it can be implemented - why didn't they give Molyneux more time to show how Fable 3 uses it?

ParmaViolet 66

Postby wildhook2 » 17 Jun 2010, 11:40

ParmaViolet wrote:

I think that's a bit of a hasty comment. I can still see it selling in reasonable numbers - MS will promote it to the hilt and there are plenty of people that will be excited by dancing games and the like (as the sales of Just Dance can verify).

I just think it's a bit of a wasted opportunity (if it is true) and I really think MS should have at least given us some other ideas of how it can be implemented - why didn't they give Molyneux more time to show how Fable 3 uses it?

Yeah it will sell very well for few months until they have realised how Kinect actually works.
wildhook2 54

Postby buffig » 17 Jun 2010, 11:42

I hope to god this is true. It would be the worst design flaw in history
buffig 60

Postby dorian2011 » 17 Jun 2010, 11:43

just lol'd at the first 3 comments not including are from the hardcore sony nerds, guess this is the only form of action they get
dorian2011 47

Xbox Live: Davitar1990
PSN ID: Daizu2011

Postby spinoir » 17 Jun 2010, 11:44

its bullshit, depends on the game.
spinoir 42

Postby StonecoldMC » 17 Jun 2010, 11:46

wildhook2 wrote:
ParmaViolet wrote:

Yeah it will sell very well for few months until they have realised how Kinect actually works.

What will you do if it doesnt? Keep posting negative comments on message boards? Or cry a little bit more?
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby ricflair » 17 Jun 2010, 11:47

I just get the feeling MS put loads in to this, eventually realised it just won't work THAT well and have too much ego/pride to admit they got it wrong.

I was waiting for E3 to make a judgement and now I have. I think it's going to be absolutely s**t for 'normal' games. Even if they sorted it out, it's going to be too laggy for your core games.

They should've just swallowed their pride and combined the wii and camera. So Move, basically. I wonder if extra controllers will follow. At these prices, they can sod off.

People bitch about having to move about when playing the wii (which is complete rubbish, you can sit and make small movements), god knows what they'll make of this.

I think it's a great piece of tech, just not suited for games as most people on here will play them.

I think it'll sell well in the USA. For family fun, it does look great. Remember, 'core' gamers are seemingly in the minority now.
Woo
ricflair 75

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 17 Jun 2010, 11:49

You've gotta take these kind of stories with a pinch of salt. Microsoft may have treat us to a disappointingly predictable E3, but I doubt they'd miss a huge flaw like that.

On the other hand, they do have a history of releasing things with huge flaws. :?
zombiesinmyhead 46

Next