to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

MS 'not worried' about Kinect name change

Your comments on our articles.

Natal name awareness was low anyway, says Greenberg

Microsoft isn't worried about changing Project Natal's name to Kinect, because public awareness of the 360 camera's codename wasn't high to begin with.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

MS 'not worried' about Kinect name change

Postby spam23 » 14 Jun 2010, 10:28

The name of it isn't what they should be worried about, it's the games they're releasing with it they should worry about!
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Re: MS 'not worried' about Kinect name change

Postby wildhook2 » 14 Jun 2010, 10:42

spam23 wrote:The name of it isn't what they should be worried about, it's the games they're releasing with it they should worry about!

Agreed.

I desperately want to see Fable 3.
wildhook2 54

Postby Dewin » 14 Jun 2010, 10:47

because public awareness of the 360 camera's codename wasn't high to begin with.

This little line here says it all. All normal gamers know the Natal name. We are not what they are after. Kitect is not for us, its for the Wii + balance board buying public.
Dewin 49

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 14 Jun 2010, 10:49

I think they should be more worried about the fact that it already seems dead in the water.

I've never hidden my cynicism about natal, but even I'm surprised by the dreary wii-knock off games MS are parading. Ok so some grown-up devs are involved and we may get a Mad World or No More Heroes somewhere along the line, but that'll be without the massive casual install base of fat Grandmas who bought Wii Cooking Sport Fit and made Nintendo their billions. Those people aren't going to buy another console to play that guff again.

Oh dear Microsoft. Don't you pay people to actually think about things?
zombiesinmyhead 46

Postby altitude2k » 14 Jun 2010, 10:52

I'm going to hold my skeptisism on the Kinect lineup until MS do their proper keynote. This Kinect launch event was not aimed at the hardcore crowd.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Re: MS 'not worried' about Kinect name change

Postby KesMonkey » 14 Jun 2010, 11:01

spam23 wrote:The name of it isn't what they should be worried about, it's the games they're releasing with it they should worry about!

They're not worried. The games being released with it are exactly the type of games that will be popular with the Wii crowd. These games are about stealing some of the Wii market, not about keeping hardcore gamers happy.
When shooters and racing games start to support head tracking and gesture based controls using Kinect, it will appear more to the hardcore crowd.

Imagine a Ghost Recon type game, with four player co-op. You and your buddies are approaching an enemy facility. As you near the perimeter, you realise that any voice communications may be overheard by the enemy guards (like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory). You turn your head left, then right, confirming the positions of your team mates, all the time your weapon is still pointed towards the enemy. You raise your hand. Kinect sees this, and your in-game character raises his hand, indicating 'halt' to your team mates.
You can imagine the rest of the scenario yourself.
Kinect has absolutely great potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing what core games may exploit its features.
KesMonkey 62

Postby Dewin » 14 Jun 2010, 11:05

But its E3 for crying out loud. Show something for real gamers.If they want to launch for casuals then put an ad in Cosmo or something. Show us a proper cool lightsabers game, and not a stupid one on-rails!
Dewin 49

Postby altitude2k » 14 Jun 2010, 11:11

Dewin wrote:But its E3 for crying out loud. Show something for real gamers.If they want to launch for casuals then put an ad in Cosmo or something. Show us a proper cool lightsabers game, and not a stupid one on-rails!

But it isn't E3 yet...
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby steve_2003 » 14 Jun 2010, 11:13

If last nights show consisted of Gears of War 3, Fable 3, Milo & Kate, Sonic Riders and the next Ghost Recon, We'd all be "Kinecstatic" (sorry!*) but the general public (who have yet to buy a 360) wouldn't care less.

Last night wasn't for us existing gamers, it was for those yet to discover the joys of gaming!

*just trying to outdo CVG's "dis-Kinect". :wink:
steve_2003 64

Postby svd_grasshopper » 14 Jun 2010, 11:13

KesMonkey... dream on. you're deluded.

a sixaxis came with EVERY ps3. look how much that feature was used. its been abandoned.

noone is going to pay £100 to have their headtracked when they can nudge a stick :roll:

serious devs aint gonna invest tons into developing gimmicky bonus features when almost none of their audience have the hardware.

nintendo made basically nothing out of their hardcore titles. are MS trying to emulate that?

or go for the big bucks - cheap n cheerful fluffy stuff, with the proven audience... :?:
Last edited by svd_grasshopper on 14 Jun 2010, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby Black Mantis » 14 Jun 2010, 11:13

Dewin wrote:But its E3 for crying out loud. Show something for real gamers.If they want to launch for casuals then put an ad in Cosmo or something. Show us a proper cool lightsabers game, and not a stupid one on-rails!

That will happen at their E3 show, this was basically an advert, as you'll see when it airs on MTV on Tuesday.
Black Mantis 67

Postby seabeast » 14 Jun 2010, 11:16

I love people that claim something is ' dead in the water ' months before its released. I would hate live the life of people that come out with such negative and unfounded drivel.

Kinect looks fantastic and will be a great tool for the 360.
seabeast 34

Postby svd_grasshopper » 14 Jun 2010, 11:24

"unfounded"... look at the list of (£30) launch titles. its in black & white.
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby steve_2003 » 14 Jun 2010, 11:36

seabeast wrote:I love people that claim something is ' dead in the water ' months before its released. I would hate live the life of people that come out with such negative and unfounded drivel.

Kinect looks fantastic and will be a great tool for the 360.

It's probably their fear of something different, I remember trying the Wii for the first time in currys and thinking how cool it was. If I had a negative attitude to it all, I would have missed out on some really fun experiences & great Nintendo games. It hasn't made me stop playing classics like Red Dead or MW2 though.

I see Kinect & Move the same way, a great new way to enjoy some unique gaming, in addition to what we've currently got, not instead of. :)
steve_2003 64

Postby svd_grasshopper » 14 Jun 2010, 11:55

nothing unique about the line up of games for it... so why wouldn't you just stick with your wii and save yourself £100 on copycat games - that WON'T be as good as nintendo's games?
svd_grasshopper 62

Next