to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Demon's Souls UK Edition review: 9/10 in OPM

Your comments on our articles.

OPM UK gives top marks to From Software's critically acclaimed RPG

Despite uniform high praise in the US and Japan, the release of Demon's Souls in Europe faced numerous and significant hurdles to overcome. After it was revealed that Southpeak was unable to acquire the rights to publish it in Europe alongside 3D Dot Game Heroes European gamers gave up hope of ever playing the game.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Demon's Souls UK Edition review: 9/10 in OPM

Postby Miss_Wacy » 10 Jun 2010, 17:09

def getting this in a few weeks, played a bit of the us version back late last year
Miss_Wacy 50

Postby ParmaViolet » 10 Jun 2010, 17:18

Looks utterly, utterly brilliant this game.

I'm surprised it took them so long to get around to giving it a European release, there must have been hundreds (if not thousands) of imports coming into the country.

:)
ParmaViolet 66

Postby lonewolf2002 » 10 Jun 2010, 17:25

ParmaViolet wrote:Looks utterly, utterly brilliant this game.

I'm surprised it took them so long to get around to giving it a European release, there must have been hundreds (if not thousands) of imports coming into the country.

:)

Yeah I am surprised too I'm glad I had faith and waited for a proper UK/Euro release of it. 8)
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Skarfester » 10 Jun 2010, 17:34

Best game of this generation
Skarfester 34

Postby MrPirtniw » 10 Jun 2010, 17:44

I keep seeing this game getting praise- but every video I've checked out makes it look as boring as hell. Is it really that good? Is there a demo or anything? (I haven't looked yet).
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby acey » 10 Jun 2010, 18:33

MrPirtniw wrote:I keep seeing this game getting praise- but every video I've checked out makes it look as boring as hell. Is it really that good? Is there a demo or anything? (I haven't looked yet).

Agreed. The setting and slow pace are extremely off-putting.
acey 53

Postby Forge88 » 10 Jun 2010, 18:41

Am lookin forward to this but like the comments above there must be somethin hidden that were not sein in the videos that gives the game its praise

My only question is that is it co op
Forge88 29

Postby smiles69 » 10 Jun 2010, 18:43

Hi,

I had this on inport.It's a fantastic game once you get parst the first hour or so,trust me this game will test your Patience, but thats what make's it so good, you just want one more go just to get that bit further....

Buy it!!!.One thing you can get an U.S inport copy for around £30.00 on Ebay.Works on all uk PS3's

Cheers
Smiles
Xbox: Hooligan 69
Wii f.uk know's
PS3: smiles_69 :wink:
Last edited by smiles69 on 10 Jun 2010, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
smiles69 41

Postby dark_gamer » 10 Jun 2010, 20:09

Funnily enough I just pre-ordered my copy about 10 mins a go before reading this article as something reminded me it's out next week :)

I'm a sucker for RPGS (especially Japanese ones), and considering I've yet to really have heard anything bad about this game it's been a must buy for me. And with patience being rewarded by a special edition, who I am to complain? :wink:
Gamertag: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
dark_gamer 53

Postby Oneohfour » 10 Jun 2010, 21:55

Those put off by the slow pace and boring looking video's do not despair I was too until I played it. I have had this on import since last October and can tell you it is anything but boring, yes it is slow paced to start with but soon builds up. There is so much depth to the game it’s just a joy to play and rewards you just as much as it punishes. I suggest you watch one of the many video reviews that are already out there from the NA release, they do it more justice than I could spouting off here. All I will say is excellent character customisation & upgrades, online co-op and the ability to invade other player’s realms to claim their soul, unforgiving boss battles and when you finish it, it has only just begun.
Oneohfour 32

Postby MrPirtniw » 10 Jun 2010, 23:10

:lol:way to promote the game! Righty oh, I'll give this one a looksy. After all, I do love games that offer a challenge (Ninja Gaiden was frustrating beyond belief sometimes- but it only ever punished you for making silly mistakes).

Cheers!
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby smiles69 » 10 Jun 2010, 23:31

MrPirtniw wrote::lol:way to promote the game! Righty oh, I'll give this one a looksy. After all, I do love games that offer a challenge (Ninja Gaiden was frustrating beyond belief sometimes- but it only ever punished you for making silly mistakes).

Cheers!

this game is the same. errors are the fault of the player not the AI.
smiles69 41

Postby theaface » 10 Jun 2010, 23:32

I imported this game after reading so many rave reviews, and I'm so so pleased that i did. I'm currently working my way through my second playthrough, and I can barely put it down.

Yes, the game is very challenging. But it's also fair, utterly rewarding, and unique in so many ways. The online component is one of the best innovations I've seen in a long while, and whilst the story is simple, the visuals and sound effects work brilliantly to create the right atmosphere.

Every UK PS3 owner really should give Demon's Souls ago. You'll likely be very pleasantly surprised. I'm not even much of an RPG fan, yet I can't tell you how many hours I've gladly poured into this game.
theaface 45

Postby Random Hangman » 11 Jun 2010, 08:17

I agree with all the other posters praising this game.

I got it for Christmas and played nothing else for about 6 weeks. After you get to grips with it (an hour or two) it just becomes totally addictive. And when you are wondering around with 30,000 souls, think "I'll just see what's round this corner" and get killed due to a careless act, you get mighty p*ssed off but realise it was your own fault. Then all you can think about is getting those souls back!

Seriously, it's draining but so entertraining! 8)
Random Hangman 57

Demon's Souls UK

Postby cragogre » 11 Jun 2010, 08:18

I too bought the American version of Demon's Souls and at first thought it was too difficult/unfair, however the game had 'that special something' that made me want to keep playing. Like others have mentioned the game is not unfair but is uncompromising. You WILL play the game how it's meant to be played or be punished severely. Once it all clicks into place you'll be hooked. I've now racked up 80 hours in the game and am on my second playthrough (the difficulty is increased approx. 40% second time through). It's very addictive and one of the best games I've played this generation.
cragogre 21

Next