to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Romero: John Carmack and I can create 'fresh, awesome' game

Your comments on our articles.

Doom creator hints at a reunion with fellow development veteran

Doom creator John Romero has hinted that he could one day create a new game with ex-colleague John Carmack - which would be "fresh and awesome".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Romero: John Carmack and I can create 'fresh, awesome' game

Postby ste hicky » 01 Jun 2010, 18:00

that rules an fps out then.
ste hicky 64

Postby altitude2k » 01 Jun 2010, 18:19

Somewhere in the world John Carmack's pants just hit the floor.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby mogel94 » 01 Jun 2010, 18:22

Doesnt exactly rule out fps, it could be along the lines of a Bioshock shake up than something extremly radicall
mogel94 43

Xbox Live: SoggySage
PSN ID: Iski94I

Postby lonewolf2002 » 01 Jun 2010, 19:05

altitude2k wrote:Somewhere in the world John Carmack's pants just hit the floor.

:lol: exactly what I was thinking. Daikatana anyone?
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby goatmms » 02 Jun 2010, 00:42

Doesnt exactly rule out fps, it could be along the lines of a Bioshock shake up than something extremly radicall

Sarcasm is obviously lost on you.
goatmms 40

Postby kimoak » 02 Jun 2010, 09:08

Like this is gonna happen. Still trying to get an MMO out I see. He has been trying since the first Quake. He was over ambitions then. Doesn't seem to be anymore even with this statement. Carmack doesn't need Romero.
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Postby Jensonjet » 02 Jun 2010, 10:20

The games Romero and Carmack made decades ago were in a different age. It was a time when absolutely dumb, mindless shooting games were acceptable and popular. Graphics were atrocious, storylines, character personalities and scripts were pretty much non-existent. Carmack knows where his strengths are and now sticks to what he's best at. And clearly that isn't writing scripts and developing characters but being the technical whiz-kid. Romero, from what I understand was and still remains the least talented of the two. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I can't imagine for a second Carmack would have any interest in working with Romero, except perhaps out of sympathy. As a business relationship I can only see this being an advantage for Romero.

Maybe I'm wrong and if these two created a new game together it could instantly be the best videogame in the industry's history. It could sell faster and more copies than Modern Warfare 2. It could be critically and universally loved. It could be perfect in every way, the ultimate videogame. The pinnacle of entertainment and technology in perfect harmony. Personally I don't buy it for a second. It would probably be a dumb, old-fashioned, technically interesting, but ultimately lifeless affair that's best to stay in the imagination of Mr Romero.

Sorry pal, you had your time, you blew it, and now you're unimportant to the industry, and it's customers and need to accept your failures, your lack of competence and utter insignificance. This story is as sad to read about as it would be to hear Ringo Starr wants to reunite with Paul McCartney and make Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band 2. Even that analogy is wildly wrong, as Romero isn't even the Ringo Starr of the gaming industry... he's more like one of those rock stars of the 60s who ended up dead from a drug overdose... except he's still alive, and probably not looked back on with any fondness or affection by anyone!
Jensonjet 47

Postby kimoak » 02 Jun 2010, 10:56

Jensonjet wrote:The games Romero and Carmack made decades ago were in a different age. It was a time when absolutely dumb, mindless shooting games were acceptable and popular. Graphics were atrocious, storylines, character personalities and scripts were pretty much non-existent. Carmack knows where his strengths are and now sticks to what he's best at. And clearly that isn't writing scripts and developing characters but being the technical whiz-kid. Romero, from what I understand was and still remains the least talented of the two. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I can't imagine for a second Carmack would have any interest in working with Romero, except perhaps out of sympathy. As a business relationship I can only see this being an advantage for Romero.

Maybe I'm wrong and if these two created a new game together it could instantly be the best videogame in the industry's history. It could sell faster and more copies than Modern Warfare 2. It could be critically and universally loved. It could be perfect in every way, the ultimate videogame. The pinnacle of entertainment and technology in perfect harmony. Personally I don't buy it for a second. It would probably be a dumb, old-fashioned, technically interesting, but ultimately lifeless affair that's best to stay in the imagination of Mr Romero.

Sorry pal, you had your time, you blew it, and now you're unimportant to the industry, and it's customers and need to accept your failures, your lack of competence and utter insignificance. This story is as sad to read about as it would be to hear Ringo Starr wants to reunite with Paul McCartney and make Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band 2. Even that analogy is wildly wrong, as Romero isn't even the Ringo Starr of the gaming industry... he's more like one of those rock stars of the 60s who ended up dead from a drug overdose... except he's still alive, and probably not looked back on with any fondness or affection by anyone!

That's a pretty good analogy actually.

He could also be seen as the classic 1 hit wonder musical acts. Well... maybe not just the one, but as close as possible. Wolfenstien, Doom and Quake. After that he was washed up.
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57