Cliffy B: 'Mass Effect is Star Wars of our generation'

Your comments on our articles.

Epic Games' design director also compares it to Gears of War

Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski has compared Mass Effect to Gears of War and the even bigger franchise that is Star Wars.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Gallifreii » 14 May 2010, 13:20

Tune in tomorrow kids when Cliffy B states how Tetris also borrowed some of the 'quality' elements from Gears of War. Arrogant tit
Gallifreii 32

Postby Mark240473 » 14 May 2010, 13:25

Look, I've got the utmost respect for what Mass Effect and Gears have achieved in the gaming medium, but to compare them to the phenomenon that is Star Wars is just plain crazy, in my opinion.

Nearly every man, woman and child could probably name/recognise a Star Wars character or vehicle. The same just can't be said of ME or Gears.
This post was brought to you by SarkyMarky.
Mark240473 64

Xbox Live: BobozeTheBear
PSN ID: MarkyUK

Postby adgr19 » 14 May 2010, 13:27

Cliffy B should shut up for 1 minute, i bet he can't
adgr19 53

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 14 May 2010, 13:29

I Totally agree with Mark. Star Wars was revolutionary when it was first released and really sent science fiction into the main stream.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby zombiesinmyhead » 14 May 2010, 13:31

For either ME or GoW to be as popular as Star Wars, every male child in the western world would have to be conditioned into loving it from an early age. I got into Star Wars when I was a kid, and now I'm training my nephew to love it too (mostly so I can still play with the toys).

Now thats not really happening with your age rated video games, is it Cliffy? Where's my ME lunch box and GoW pyjamas? Really mate, have a think sometimes.
zombiesinmyhead 46

Re: Cliffy B: 'Mass Effect is Star Wars of our generation'

Postby Black Mantis » 14 May 2010, 13:34

Mark240473 wrote:Look, I've got the utmost respect for what Mass Effect and Gears have achieved in the gaming medium, but to compare them to the phenomenon that is Star Wars is just plain crazy, in my opinion.

Nearly every man, woman and child could probably name/recognise a Star Wars character or vehicle. The same just can't be said of ME or Gears.

You're just comparing them in terms of popularity though, which isn't what he meant and with gaming epics still in their relative infancy, movies are still more popular.

In terms of a grand universe which could spawn a number of different stories and games spanning different centuries, Mass Effect is comparable in that regard.
Black Mantis 67

Postby Benoit » 14 May 2010, 13:39

I do agree with this, playing through ME2 at the minute and the amount of detail that has been put in is mind blowing. Creating all the different races,technology and planets.
The research upgrades also go into loads of detail about how they work which is really interesting.
As Mark says though everyone knows Star Wars but this is because of the medium of film, i think it is a shame that some people will never experience ME, maybe someone will turn it into a movie!
Benoit 46

Postby altitude2k » 14 May 2010, 13:54

This is clearly an unfair comparison. Mass Effect and Gears of War were good.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby Mark240473 » 14 May 2010, 14:02

Black Mantis wrote:
Mark240473 wrote:Look, I've got the utmost respect for what Mass Effect and Gears have achieved in the gaming medium, but to compare them to the phenomenon that is Star Wars is just plain crazy, in my opinion.

You're just comparing them in terms of popularity though, which isn't what he meant and with gaming epics still in their relative infancy, movies are still more popular.

In terms of a grand universe which could spawn a number of different stories and games spanning different centuries, Mass Effect is comparable in that regard.

Even if Mass Effect and Gears of War were films, there is no way on gods Earth that they would ever be as popular as Star Wars. This is because the characters, places and vehicles are not as memorable. I don't care what any geek says on that matter.

Lot's of games have history and character backstories, but all of a sudden only ME and Gears are this generations Star Wars.

Give me a fecking break.

It's like saying Uncharted is this gen's Indiana Jones. :roll:
This post was brought to you by SarkyMarky.
Mark240473 64

Xbox Live: BobozeTheBear
PSN ID: MarkyUK

Postby Taus » 14 May 2010, 14:07

The sadest thing about a new Epic release is it is accompanied by a publicity tour which involves that 'rent a hobbit' Cliffy B
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby Sleepaphobic » 14 May 2010, 14:33

Gallifreii wrote:Tune in tomorrow kids when Cliffy B states how Tetris also borrowed some of the 'quality' elements from Gears of War. Arrogant tit
hahhahahahhahaha :lol:

The only thing I can link gears to star wars with is the amazingly bad acting.

I'm not so sure you heard man but gears didn't invent cover based shooters SHOCK! I F'n hate it when people get praise for smthg they didn't do. To my knowledge id doesn't really bash or compare every single shooter to theirs and they created a whole freaking genre! Yo Cliff plz just die so some1 less annoying than you can talk slightly less retarded BS, or just stop being a tit (ya I'm asking for the impossible here)

If there was 1 game franchise tht is as big as star wars it probably has to be Mario...
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Postby PENGALENG » 14 May 2010, 14:34

i never liked star wars i gave it a chance watched the original 3 and episode 1. i just didnt get the love for darft gimp and jabba the cu*t.
the way i see it real men love cod and benders are into starwars.

cliffyb is the man all the haters go blow a fat nob.
PENGALENG 29

Postby Eclipse Dj » 14 May 2010, 14:39

Mark240473 wrote:It's like saying Uncharted is this gen's Indiana Jones. :roll:

How Cliffy B may comment on Uncharted;

"The thing that was cool was that Uncharted is kind of an Action Adventure, with the cover-based shooting. I think there's a reason why it's been successful. Because gamers love Gears," he said.

"Here's something that's like Gears, but even has more depth, and a different setting. It's Indiana Jones for this new generation."

:wink:
Eclipse Dj 49

Postby lonewolf2002 » 14 May 2010, 14:40

altitude2k wrote:This is clearly an unfair comparison. Mass Effect and Gears of War were good.

To be fair the first 3 SW movies were good for their time, only the latest trilogy was shockingly bad (can see why studios turned them down to shoot the middle trilogy).
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Terribly_Mauled » 14 May 2010, 14:42

Try and read what he is saying. He isnt talking about popularity / recognisability.

He is talking about the creation of a fully realised fictional world, where there are multiple cultures and characters and reams and reams of hardware, all with distinct design and iconography.

In that regard, yes, Mass Effect is completely comparable to Star Wars. As is Avatar if we're being frank. Its fictional world building where absolutely everything you see has been designed.
Terribly_Mauled 43

Next