to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Constant net connection required to play Assassin's Creed 2

Your comments on our articles.

Single-player sequel kicks you out of the game if your connection to Ubi's servers is lost.

When we heard of Ubisoft's plan to require an internet connection for all their future PC games, we hoped they'd abort it or scale it back in the face of the outrage and astonishment it caused. They haven't, and it's here. Details are below.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Constant net connection required to play Assassin's Creed 2

Postby EthanWoods » 17 Feb 2010, 16:32

ARGH!

I was hoping they'd release Splinter Cell before this crap was put into effect.

What do they think they can change? The bloody pirates will crack it easily, just like they do for GFWL and everything else.

What if their servers go down mid-game?

I'd much rather run with the idea that a false copy of the game is released for people to torrent, that contains major bugs to render the game unplayable.

Why am I being punished because some other guy is too pathetic/impatient to buy the game? If you don't have the money, wait.

If you're a tight arse, find a new hobby.
EthanWoods 33

Postby AJB123644 » 17 Feb 2010, 17:01

Great more bad news from Ubisoft. This is a great shame and one which will make me unsure about buying Assassins Creed 2 and any other Ubisoft game in the future. It seem now more than ever that developers are seeking to destroy the pc as a platform. The thing I do not understand however is why we get targeted when piracy on consoles is if anything just as bad?

End of the day something needs to be done about this and it would be great for PC Gamer to take it back to Ubisoft and fight our cases.
AJ

Blog - www.ajb123644.blogspot.com

AJB123644 46

Postby EthanWoods » 17 Feb 2010, 17:09

AJB123644 wrote:Great more bad news from Ubisoft. This is a great shame and one which will make me unsure about buying Assassins Creed 2 and any other Ubisoft game in the future. It seem now more than ever that developers are seeking to destroy the pc as a platform. The thing I do not understand however is why we get targeted when piracy on consoles is if anything just as bad?

End of the day something needs to be done about this and it would be great for PC Gamer to take it back to Ubisoft and fight our cases.

Someone said in the podcast (can't remember who now) that they'd said to MS about GFWL being crap, and they didn't listen.

We can't boycott games because, a) Most people won't and b) Even if we did, publishers would just say that there's zero profit and stop releasing PC titles at all.

Of course, it would help if people didn't pirate in the first place - then we wouldn't have to put up with this.

Unfortunately, whilst still there, piracy on the consoles is a lot less (as far as I'm aware).
EthanWoods 33

Postby cpc1 » 17 Feb 2010, 20:10

I think I'll buy some more indie games instead of this.

Not that I've finished the first, mind.
cpc1 32

Postby duncanskuse » 17 Feb 2010, 21:16

That's a fantastic rendition you've done in paint, well done. Also this will only lead to people pirating the game or unknowingly buying it then being really angry. Silly Ubisoft.
duncanskuse 56

PSN ID: Skusey_Baby
Steam: Skusey_Baby

Postby Gwynzer » 17 Feb 2010, 21:46

Eughh.

I was already really annoyed between the *massive* delay between console and PC release, a month or so is acceptable, but I've had to go out of my way to avoid any spoilers. Now with we're being punished for being PC gamers even more with ridiculous "anti-piracy" measures.

I had money put aside for this game, now I'll likely be an example of how this kind of DRM makes many people turn to piracy. I'm not willing to pay for something when I get a better experience for free and with less hassle.

I can't believe how much the PC Gaming Community is being s**t on. The worst part is that if we complain by not buying games, publishers and developers assume that we aren't interested in their games which makes them stop making them for PC. There is no way for us to win.

I'll be snail mailing a complaint letter to Ubisoft. The chances it will get anywhere are nill, but in my experience they tend to take stuff that is mailed in more seriously than e-mails internet petitions.
Gwynzer 2

Postby johnway » 17 Feb 2010, 21:51

this can potentially be crap. Whilst i do switch on my router and connected to the interwebs anyway, its not much of a problem.

It only becomes a problem when it impacts performance. What if there are glitches that disconnect me? What if demand or too many players are already online and the servers couldn't cope (similar situation to say MW2 on the pc or Bioshock initially)? What about if my router disconnects every so often which it does randomly on occassion?

I'm all for protecting developers IP and stop certain types of piracy, but this doesn't seem to work properly.
www.geocities.com/johnway_l - My sketch book drawings.

"The price of freedom is vigilance"

steam id: Johnway
johnway 57

Postby neon321 » 17 Feb 2010, 21:57

And 2 days later the pirate-groups will have released a crack to bypass this garbage.

Let's just say deciding whether to buy or not has never been so easy. :lol:
neon321 1

Postby Darktan » 17 Feb 2010, 23:37

I had issues with the PS3 version of AC2 not recognising that I had completed certain sections - that is, the game progressed, but I was not awarded the trophies for finishing the section. I'm not into games for achievements, so it didn't bother me, but obviously it was a connectivity issue which could have further stretching consequences.

Surely a better system is a "Sync" based one, where on exiting the game you are given the option to update your progress onto the Ubisoft server. If your connection is down then, it's irritating but you can still continue playing.
Darktan 10

Postby spam23 » 17 Feb 2010, 23:40

It's a damn good reason to pirate this rather than buy it. Epic DRM fail.
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby ChernobylKinsman » 18 Feb 2010, 01:48

Will this level of DRM have an effect on review scores?
ChernobylKinsman 45

Postby ninjikiran » 18 Feb 2010, 02:24

excellent write up and I completely agree. I don't pirate games and all schemes like this do is prevent me from having any interest in purchasing said product. I am sure some people will put up with it by bending over for ubisoft but I sir will not.

Another situations where Pirates get a more complete single player experience rather than having the constant feeling of being enslaved to ubi's proprietary platform such that a few lost packets could result in you loosing game time. Or the fact that you could loose your data if ubi's servers were ever taken down. Better yet, what happens when they stop supporting the game and they don't have the funds to support the game. What happens to those who bought it that have no idea how to download a crack. They are more than likely sol.
ninjikiran 1

Postby TheTingler » 18 Feb 2010, 06:19

I've been prepared to put up with a lot of DRM crap and still enjoy the games with just a mild bit of complaining. This is now a line crossed. I don't know what world Ubisoft live in with their magical permanent never-failing internet connections for everyone, but it's certainly not this one.

I was really looking forward to Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell Conviction. Not anymore, because I can't justify buying them with this ridiculous system on it. I don't mind being online at the start and then being able to play offline, but this is too far.

That's two of my most wanted games gone. I will not buy them until this DRM is scaled back.
[url=http://www.plughead.net/]Plughead.net[/url], the new home for PCZoners
[url=http://www.hookedgamers.com]Hooked Gamers[/url]
TheTingler 55

Postby G00N3R » 18 Feb 2010, 08:19

I've played AC2 on 360. If it makes PC gamers (of which I am one too, multiformat ftw) feel better, Ubisoft sh*t on their console customers too by releasing the game unfinished. There's a gap in the missions (called "memory sequences") which jumps from 11 to 14, and the story jumps ahead about 2 years. Then they're releasing missions 12 and 13 as paid for DLC. Way to screw your customers for extra money. Now this crap on PC. I *was* planning on getting Splinter Cell for PC as I prefer mouse/KB for shooters, but like many of the responses above, I've now got most Ubisoft games set to ignore. Unless they have an absolutely elite must have title coming out. For example I suppose I'll get (or maybe rent?) AC3 to find out how the story finishes.
G00N3R 47

Postby SWiscool » 18 Feb 2010, 10:18

It's not really about boycotting their product out of sheer spite (although I'd be lying if I said it was completely spite-free). I'm just not going to buy it because I'm not rich and would rather spend my money on a game which - shock horror - actually lets me play it. I realize me not buying it will probably not even graze their sales chart but it'd be far worse to a buy a game that treats you as a criminal.
I get their position, I really do. It's a desperate fight against piracy and I'll be damned if I can think of ways to stop it - I'm not even sure it's possible - but I'm positive they can make the process lighter on paying customers.

This was largely a mature post, so I just have to add:

Ubisoft, you suck.... man you suck.
SWiscool 29

Next