to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Is Bioshock 2 better than the original?

Your comments on our articles.

The return to Rapture sparks another heated team debate

... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Is Bioshock 2 better than the original?

Postby Sinthetic » 13 Feb 2010, 13:24

i loved bioshock 1 and it's up there as the best in my opinion. but after playing the opening couple of hours of the single player sequel, i'd say it is equally as good and as impactful as anything from the first 2 hours from the first game.

the multiplayer adds something in terms of diversity and longevity to the game also.

combat is definitely more satisfying and weighty.

the tools you are working with are amazing. love the drill, the rivet gun makes a nice clunk when it hits home, the double barrel shotgun is a thing of true beauty. it is animated incredibly.

all in all, the game still has an amazing soundtrack, excellent voice acting, great character diversity, i mean the brute and big sister are 2 landmark characters in their own right.

anything to do with rapture, i'm boarding the submarine first!
Rose Nasty FTFW!

Sam Saidely, The Greatest Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 Player In The World!
Sinthetic 52

Postby fanboy » 14 Feb 2010, 13:10

I reckon it's simple.

Bioshock 2 doesn't have the impact of the first game (What sequel ever does?), but it is simply a better game in virtually every respect.

You can't ignore the fact that the whole experience just feels a lot better.
fanboy 63

Postby ed_exley » 14 Feb 2010, 16:06

The original is far better, even though i loved 2 and am now playing it for the second time, it just fails to have the same impact. The atmosphire of the first game is miles better, its actually scary in moments which i feel is missing from Bioshock 2. The second game is far too easy. Having said that is an amazing achievement when u consider it wasnot needed or backed by the creator.
ed_exley 5

Postby will7476 » 15 Feb 2010, 11:11

I don't view 2 as a sequel. Take them togther and they represent the best narrative driven game experience ever. Both are fantastic.
will7476 45

Postby Triffic » 15 Feb 2010, 14:17

The second game is better.

The ONLY thing that the original has on it is the element of surprise.
Triffic 37

Postby blitzpoisonpunk » 15 Feb 2010, 23:36

2 is better, for one reason, depsite the critics claiming that rapture isn't as epic second time around it still manages to grab you, slap you in the face and go "OI DICKHEAD! PAY ATTENTION WHEN BIG SISTER TRYS TO DROWN YOU!"
Its a saving grace of the epicness that is bioshock, only problem is, after throwing a factory into the abyss and a big sister wall running a ball room window with a big blade in an attempt to drown you, can bioshock 3 ever come close to the first two?
blitzpoisonpunk 24

Postby ranaraptor » 16 Feb 2010, 14:56

Personally I couldn't see what all the fuss was about with the first game. Yes, it has original design, but gameplay wasn't silky smooth and the puzzles were non existent. It was a pretty adventure/shooter at the most.

Give me Dead Space any day of the week for a more immersive, fun, scary gaming experience.

Yes, as you can see, this gamer will certainly not be purchasing Bioshock 2.
ranaraptor 46

PSN ID: ranaraptor

Postby NeedlesKane » 17 Feb 2010, 22:25

in terms of gameplay and story the sequel is better but going through rapture for the first time and the whole vibe and mystery the first game sets off makes the first the best in my opinion
NeedlesKane 3

Postby minimalistic » 18 Feb 2010, 13:07

No, it's not.
Graphics are better, but UE is a really worn-out engine these days. Character animations or AI splicers is really dated to. For me all had that funny cartooney feeling, but i was supposed to be at least slightly scared. Still worth playing though.
start as you mean to go on
minimalistic 51

Postby kimoak » 18 Feb 2010, 23:07

The fact that we are debating this is a testament to how good the second one is. I was fearing an all out cock up a'la Deus-Ex. But no, it really did deliver.

I am a happy gamer right now :)
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Postby I Kiliedes » 02 Mar 2010, 23:28

Bioshock 2 is awesome!
Bioshock 2 is better to play and the story is the most emotional I have seen on a game.
I was in tears for most of it the first time I played it.
But I think Bioshock 1 is longer or feels longer.
Also BS1 is better in that you can backtrack.
Also nothing will ever top the first time you see Rapture.
The first time you see Bioshock it is like wow......
I think it is better in many ways than Bioshock 1.
:)
I Kiliedes 4