to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Rare to let more publishers 'borrow' characters

Your comments on our articles.

All-Star Racing won't be the last non-Rare game in which creations will appear, studio tells CVG

Rare is considering allowing more publishers to use its characters in third-party games - after Sega licensed Banjo and Kazooie for All-Stars Racing.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby StonecoldMC » 14 Jan 2010, 15:48

Apart from allowing other Devs to use your characters just what are you up to right now Rare?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby jolboy » 14 Jan 2010, 15:55

Forget about selling your characters to over publishers, why not hurry up and release Perfect Dark on xbox live already!!!!
jolboy 34

Postby vulcanraven01 » 14 Jan 2010, 16:02

Apparently Rare were working on Kameo 2 but MS pulled the plug and have them focusing on all this Natal lark to help push that idea forward.
Ideally, I'd rather MS let them get on with their own thing, or at worst, force them to make a proper Perfect Dark sequel with realistic(ish) graphical style rather than the cartoony one PDZ had, which put ALOT of people off.
vulcanraven01 58

Postby Dajmin » 14 Jan 2010, 16:14

Make a new Killer Instinct, that's all I want from them. They can bugger off with cutesy platform titles like Banjo, they can keep their FPS games, no matter how polished the original one was all those years ago.

I want to see a dinosaur and a werewolf fighting a skeleton and a man made of lava while a crazy assassin chick in skin-tight lycra turns into a cat and beats an alien made of ice off the side of a two-headed cyclops' lair.

You couldn't make that stuff up :)
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
Albany Down - New album Not Over Yet available now!
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby ranaraptor » 14 Jan 2010, 16:21

Rare.....who are you guys again?! Oh yeah, those has beens from Ultimate and N64 days....
ranaraptor 46

PSN ID: ranaraptor

Postby Eclipse Dj » 14 Jan 2010, 16:44

I'd like to beat the living sh*t out of Banjo and Mr Pants in a new Smash Bros!

Kameo, Orchid, Joanna Dark, Conker etc are all quite good characters though!
Eclipse Dj 49

Postby quintus » 14 Jan 2010, 17:25

"It makes sense to keep our characters in the public eye and in players' awareness"

this makes it sound as though we won't be seeing much of their much loved IPs anytime in the near future.
quintus 45

Postby tmulford » 14 Jan 2010, 18:40

Rare really only have two characters that I would like to see brought back and that is Sabreman and Lunar Jetman. However, given that everything MS first party studios are working on seems to be Natal focussed I'm happy that they are not being contorted into some gimmicky mini game just so it can be motion controlled.
Last edited by tmulford on 15 Jan 2010, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
tmulford 57

Postby steve w » 14 Jan 2010, 18:57

I hate microsoft for what they did to rare I'm not bothered what happens to them anymore.
steve w 57

Postby Picnic12 » 14 Jan 2010, 20:05

I quite liked the look of Perfect Dark Zero and how it played. It's so easy to get in to (with, yes, some corny voice acting) that it was like playing an arcade game made by Sega. Easy in places (in fact impossible to die in places on some settings). Of course, that won't appeal to people looking for something really deep who'll probably find the N64 game to be richer and it will seem very linear and limited compared to some other games (because it is). But games with 'Zero' at the end always seem to try to do something a bit different with mixed results e.g. Resident Evil Zero. Not every Perfect Dark game has to be really serious - there's time for that with Perfect Dark 2. Or there was until it was cancelled. Rare games should always be a bit colourful though - it's a hallmark of them.

If you're after a really good shooter play Quantum of Solace by the way.
Picnic12 53

Postby dm_1782 » 14 Jan 2010, 21:50

What happened to you RARE maybe you should go back to Nintendo while theres still time. I mean lets face it Viva Pinata would have sold bucketloads on the Wii especially if linked with the DS. And a new Perfect Dark could have been a rival for the Conduit.
Rare you know where you belong, come back home.
dm_1782 46

Postby johnafirth » 15 Jan 2010, 20:09

dm_1782 wrote:What happened to you RARE maybe you should go back to Nintendo while theres still time. I mean lets face it Viva Pinata would have sold bucketloads on the Wii especially if linked with the DS. And a new Perfect Dark could have been a rival for the Conduit.
Rare you know where you belong, come back home.

Might be a touch difficult, given Microsoft own Rare.
johnafirth 21