to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Modern Warfare 2 smashes past $1 billion sales

Your comments on our articles.

Activision epic reaches global milestone in just two months

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has crossed the $1 billion mark in retail sales worldwide since its launch in November, according to internal Activision estimates.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Modern Warfare 2 smashes past $1 billion sales

Postby feedel » 13 Jan 2010, 14:20

It's good a game is up there as a top selling entertainment platform, but shame it was COD:MW2 that did it.
feedel 17

Postby Tinseltopia » 13 Jan 2010, 14:25

After the disappointment of mw2, and the greediness of Activision. They're not getting another penny out of me for another rehash of the same game again.
Tinseltopia 36

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Jan 2010, 14:27

Well done IW, incredible numbers!!

Lets see you use the profits to bring us this Sci Fi shooter you've been talking about for a while now.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby The_KFD_Case » 13 Jan 2010, 14:30

Bravo Bobby & Co....*slow, sarcastic clapping* May you choke on your ill-gotten riches. That is all.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby swiss999 » 13 Jan 2010, 14:35

It's interesting to see how quickly game sales slow down in comparison to film revenue. All of the industry gloating surrounding MW2's speedy sales masked the fact that once the launch weekend is out of the way, there's always a sharp decline. We don't see anything like a decline of this nature with Blockbuster films.
swiss999 33

Postby pherik » 13 Jan 2010, 14:41

For the 'biggest launch in entertainment history', it's funny it took them 3 months to hit $1b while it only took Avatar 3 weeks.
pherik 52

Postby altitude2k » 13 Jan 2010, 14:56

The_KFD_Case wrote:Bravo Bobby & Co....*slow, sarcastic clapping* May you choke on your ill-gotten riches. That is all.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby The_KFD_Case » 13 Jan 2010, 14:57

swiss999 wrote:It's interesting to see how quickly game sales slow down in comparison to film revenue. All of the industry gloating surrounding MW2's speedy sales masked the fact that once the launch weekend is out of the way, there's always a sharp decline. We don't see anything like a decline of this nature with Blockbuster films.

Aye, that thought crossed my mind as well.
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby The Ginga » 13 Jan 2010, 15:13

Christ, one of the biggest films of all time and you even can't spell it right :lol:

It's the Dark 'Knight', CVG - Batman? Knight?...no? Ugh.
The Ginga 4

Postby palancas7 » 13 Jan 2010, 15:17

Next to Wii Fit, that's pocket change.
palancas7 57

Postby svd_grasshopper » 13 Jan 2010, 16:57

the way you get shot instantly after breaking cover on hard difficulties is s**t.

dont think the bullets are even coming from baddies guns. they are planted, magically homing in to you.

its like the enemies are psychic and fire one off on target, right before you pop your head out.

i'd like something a bit more realistic, MUCH less bullets flying everywhere. only creates a hectic feeling for fools. just creates a feeling that they are bad coders to me.

should be harder to get shot but bullets do more damage depending on where they land and the enemies dont know where you are unless they see you... instead of you pointlessly getting hit all the time and the constant red blurry screen with you scarpering to cover and regenerating.

that tactic lets you do whatever you want without thinking.

its crap. i want every bullet accounted for. put the processor to good use instead of this existing cheesy system.
Last edited by svd_grasshopper on 13 Jan 2010, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby The Bossman » 13 Jan 2010, 17:02

I hope the new developer tries to include new elements rather than just update and polish them up a bit, like MW2. If rumours are to be believed, IW will make a Sci-Fi FPS away from Activision, and a new developer will take over for MW3.
The Bossman 46

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby SavageEvil » 13 Jan 2010, 17:32

It's interesting to see how quickly game sales slow down in comparison to film revenue. All of the industry gloating surrounding MW2's speedy sales masked the fact that once the launch weekend is out of the way, there's always a sharp decline. We don't see anything like a decline of this nature with Blockbuster films

Nice words, but simple fact is you don't pay 40 pounds for a movie ticket now do you?

Considering that the masses made CoD what it is, Activision/IW should be rewarding us with free DLC or something. Seriously it would do well and have your faithful CoD MW players awaiting your next game with open arms.

But my brain says that Activision will just remain as greedy as ever and not give a rats ass about consumers and continue to line their pockets. Good game, incredibly fun multiplayer but shipped with out of balance weapons for people with high level ranks double handing a shotgun with the range of a sniper rifle and immense power is stupid as hell. Get your heads straight IW.
SavageEvil 51

Postby The_KFD_Case » 13 Jan 2010, 17:42

svd_grasshopper wrote:the way you get shot instantly after breaking cover on hard difficulties is s**t.

dont think the bullets are even coming from baddies guns. they are planted, magically homing in to you.

its like the enemies are psychic and fire one off on target, right before you pop your head out.

i'd like something a bit more realistic, MUCH less bullets flying everywhere. only creates a hectic feeling for fools. just creates a feeling that they are bad coders to me.

should be harder to get shot but bullets do more damage depending on where they land and the enemies dont know where you are unless they see you... instead of you pointlessly getting hit all the time and the constant red blurry screen with you scarpering to cover and regenerating.

that tactic lets you do whatever you want without thinking.

its crap. i want every bullet accounted for. put the processor to good use instead of this existing cheesy system.

It won't look as pretty, but if you find a "CS:Source" server without anyone using hacks that is precisely the sort of game play you get (providing you don't join one of the zombie mod servers).
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby The_KFD_Case » 13 Jan 2010, 17:45

SavageEvil wrote:It's interesting to see how quickly game sales slow down in comparison to film revenue. All of the industry gloating surrounding MW2's speedy sales masked the fact that once the launch weekend is out of the way, there's always a sharp decline. We don't see anything like a decline of this nature with Blockbuster films

Nice words, but simple fact is you don't pay 40 pounds for a movie ticket now do you?

Considering that the masses made CoD what it is, Activision/IW should be rewarding us with free DLC or something. Seriously it would do well and have your faithful CoD MW players awaiting your next game with open arms.

But my brain says that Activision will just remain as greedy as ever and not give a rats ass about consumers and continue to line their pockets. Good game, incredibly fun multiplayer but shipped with out of balance weapons for people with high level ranks double handing a shotgun with the range of a sniper rifle and immense power is stupid as hell. Get your heads straight IW.

Considering the 6-7 hours of game play the single player campaign of "MW2" offers it is all the more reason not to pay the RRP! You get more value from most movie tickets.

Before anyone mentions the multiplayer campaign, I'll point out that for all intents and purposes it might as well be a broken part of the game for PC gamers. Setting multiplayer gaming technology 15 years back is not something to be proud of nor should it be rewarded financially, IMO.
The_KFD_Case 65

Next