to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

The greatest Nintendo gaming moment of all time is...

Your comments on our articles.

ONM names its Top 50 - where did your favourite come?

Official Nintendo Magazine has awarded the 'Warp Zone' area from the original NES Super Mario Bros as the greatest Nintendo gaming moment of all time.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The greatest Nintendo gaming moment of all time is...

Postby milky_joe » 08 Jan 2010, 17:40

I'm surprised the first time that you step out onto Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time wasn't there...
Born to be a Wanderer...
milky_joe 59

PSN ID: MilkyJoe84
Wii Code: 1420-5183-0241-2476

Postby Izo » 08 Jan 2010, 18:11

Some understandable choices although I feel the are better ones that could be added in place of some of them.
Izo 70
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: The Wyrdness
PSN ID: Wyrdness
Battle.net: Wii U: Wyrdness

Postby Slidge » 08 Jan 2010, 18:28

i thought it would be the hyrule field too
Slidge 13

Re: The greatest Nintendo gaming moment of all time is...

Postby User removed » 08 Jan 2010, 18:31

milky_joe wrote:I'm surprised the first time that you step out onto Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time wasn't there...

+1
User removed

Re: The greatest Nintendo gaming moment of all time is...

Postby JuiKuen » 08 Jan 2010, 19:43

milky_joe wrote:I'm surprised the first time that you step out onto Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time wasn't there...

Agreed

Though I do think most of that top 10 works for me too. Its mad how many of those games I still own from the early years. Brings back the memories (sniff)
JuiKuen 49

Postby darry » 08 Jan 2010, 19:57

Agree with all you guys, and I thought the first time you fight Bowser in Mario64... He was just so huge!
darry 54

Postby Picnic12 » 08 Jan 2010, 20:59

One that I was looking for was at number 36:

Catch Our Drift? - Metroid Prime, GameCube
Metroid Prime's beauty is inarguable, but where it reaches its high point is that first unforgettable moment when you walk out into the sparse, snowy landscape of Phendrana Drifts. As you emerge from a dank cave, the music slowly fades in and the feeling of desolate loneliness is really hammered home as you take your first steps through the stunningly-realised environment. Amazing.

---

But I'm disappointed that many Nintendo moments that I find memorable aren't on the list. Surely being faced with one of those huge Bullet Bills on Super Mario World is a highlight or playing Donkey Kong County for the first time - the beautiful music of Aquatic Ambience for instance or the mine cart level. Or the moment where you free the sword in The Wind Waker and the world turns from motionless grey in to action packed colour.
Picnic12 53

Postby dark_gamer » 08 Jan 2010, 21:03

That's b*****ks. But then again as usual the ONM team seem to have little sense about gaming.

I miss the good old NOM days *sniff* :cry:
Gamertag: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
dark_gamer 53

Postby roughtext » 08 Jan 2010, 21:11

Best for me is the shadow world jobbie in Link to the Past. When you thought you were getting near the end but turned out to be only half way through...

And running a very close second was Mario 64 at the very start. I don't know anyone, gamer or not, who didn't grin like a moron when they saw little Mario bombing round in proper 3D
roughtext 47

Postby lordirongut » 10 Jan 2010, 10:47

Mine's still a Hyrule Field moment, but not stepping out onto it for the first time. When you first get Epona, jumping over the fence out of Lon Lon Ranch was like a perfect moment for me. It was and arguably still is the pinnacle moment in gaming, for me at least.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 66

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby Balladeer » 12 Jan 2010, 10:03

The Warp Zone? Rubbish compared to that Temple of Time moment, and stepping out onto Hyrule Field, and landing outside Peach's Castle. Sad to think that the new games will never be able to have the same element of wonder as these - not unless Nintendo pull an absolute blinder.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77