to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

A Boy and his Blob

Your comments on our articles.

Just a case of 'bean there, done that'?

Coo all you want, we don't trust Blob. Exhibit A: he crawled out of a meteorite. Nothing good crawls from meteorites. Exhibit B: when you hug him, his lifeless eyes wear the same disconnected gaze as Damien in The Omen. Exhibit C: when the Boy dies - be it speared, drowned or dropped - Blob stands idly by and sheds not a tear for his fallen master. Cold and calculating, Blob has boy murder in mind.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

A Boy and his Blob

Postby MrPirtniw » 04 Nov 2009, 18:10

Why does it have to be 'a boy and his blob'? Why not a girl?

Ah. Right.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby carterlink » 04 Nov 2009, 20:14

Is it me, or does the very pleasant review not match the score/rating? - They could have rounded it off to a nice wholesome '8'.

I'm loving this resurgence in 2D platform adventures. Warioland:Shake Dimension, Boy and his Blob, Super Mario Bros Wii, Muramasa, Lost Winds 1+2, Nyx. The Wii is the console to own for them. - They almost make me feel young again!
carterlink 44

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 05 Nov 2009, 10:32

I managed to snaffle the US version of this a month ago, having been a huge fan of the oriignal, and i have to say ignore the score, This games fantastic.

If you are old enough to remember the original you'll love this reimagining. its beautifully crafted and has a good learning curve to it. The puzzles can be taxing but are rarely ever frustrating, the opposite in fact. It's the most relaxing game i've played since flower.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby carterlink » 06 Nov 2009, 12:00

Had it a couple of days now and really loving its old-school charms. Gets the old brain cells working in places yet never gets too tricky and always addictive and fun.

I do fear though that this will be another one of those little cult titles that creeps out on Wii largely unnoticed and never sees the success it deserves. - The lack of posts at the end of this review kind of indicates how much people are interested.
carterlink 44

Postby DaRockwilder1 » 06 Nov 2009, 22:19

Unfortunately all the so called hardcore gamers have sold their Wii's. However this is definitely going on my growing list of 2D Wii games to buy. :D
Gaming since 1985
DaRockwilder1 65

Xbox Live: DaRockwilder1
PSN ID: DaRockwilder1

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 09 Nov 2009, 11:28

I'm starting to think that the real hardcore gamers play the wii.

It has a growing library of obscure little titles that a re challenging and really do cater to traditional gaming.

Most of the stuff on the PSĀ£ and 360 although graphically impressive are incredibly easy and have more exposure than a blockbuster movie.

Take Uncharted 2, its a great game, But its way too easy. If i play something on the hard i want it to be that. It was a breeze, now playing it again on crushing and finding that its taking me even less time to go through it. Now that i'm not watching half hour long cut scenes.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, a game in which you spand half an hour watching a movie then 10mins gaming is not hardcore.
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby carterlink » 09 Nov 2009, 19:30

I've thought much the same for a good while, but you try telling that to your average teenage Call of Duty fanatic. They'll laugh in your face. - I doubt they've even heard of something like Muramasa.

Don't care about labels myself. - I'll take the Wii's variety, accessibility and growing library of new-retro anyday. - Not that I don't enjoy the odd blast on my DS/PC/PS3/PSP now and again.

By the way, I agree with your comments on gameplay-to-cutscene ratios. - New Super Mario Bros Wii might only take six to eight hours to complete, but you can bet your life that it's six to eight hours of prolonged gaming skill with nary a cutscene in sight. Pretty much like A Boy and his Blob.
carterlink 44

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 12 Nov 2009, 16:00

i can tell you how long the cut scenes are in new mario bros about 30secs - 2mins a peice. And although without bothering to get any of the coins will probably take 6-8 hours. I have a feeling its going to take a hell of a lot longer to get all of them. Some are in really tough spots that require you to have various power ups in order to stand half a chance of getting to them.
WHERESMYMONKEY 66