to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Interview: Sony's Michael Denny on PS4

Your comments on our articles.

PlayStation's VP of Worldwide Studios on next-gen games, backwards compatibility and more

Sony revealed the PlayStation 4 at a New York press conference last week and following the unveiling we met with Sony's VP of Worldwide Studios, Michael Denny.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Monkey-d » 26 Feb 2013, 13:47

I still don't get what the point of an audio jack in your controller is, can somebody explain this for me please...
Monkey-d 34

Postby pp82 » 26 Feb 2013, 13:53

None of the console makers are going to support native backwards compatibility as it is an easy way for them to make money by selling the old games to you over their services a few months down the line.
pp82 41

Re: Interview: Sony's Michael Denny on PS4

Postby Gambini » 26 Feb 2013, 13:55

Monkey-d wrote:I still don't get what the point of an audio jack in your controller is, can somebody explain this for me please...

I'm guessing to plug in your headphones so the audio doesn't disturb anyone else in the room? :? I dunno, does that sound right? (No pun intended!)
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 26 Feb 2013, 14:04

He likes to say it's "right!" a lot doesn't he?
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby ingy » 26 Feb 2013, 14:17

Monkey-d wrote:I still don't get what the point of an audio jack in your controller is, can somebody explain this for me please...

Because hopefully they'll supply a wired headset to improve the quality and availability of communication for online gaming.
Here's hoping.
ingy 64

Postby ian1982 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:18

Its for the mic/headset that is going to be included in the box with your new ps4 :D
ian1982 11

Postby sbradley88 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:21

ian1982 wrote:

Its for the mic/headset that is going to be included in the box with your new ps4 :D

This.
sbradley88 59

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby qSPARTANp » 26 Feb 2013, 14:25

HEADPHONE-PHONE JACK....................Hopefully to be used for a bloomin set of head-phones so that only the person talking into the "Head-phones" gets heard instead of some B**ch and kids in the background shouting at each other! Hardly ever used the PS3 for online because the voice chat was so awful!!!!!!
qSPARTANp 50

Postby richomack360 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:28

He should wear a tie. Duncan Bannatyne would never take him seriously.

It's so you can plug your toaster into it, whilst in the bath.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Bambis Dad » 26 Feb 2013, 14:31

qSPARTANp wrote:HEADPHONE-PHONE JACK....................Hopefully to be used for a bloomin set of head-phones so that only the person talking into the "Head-phones" gets heard instead of some B**ch and kids in the background shouting at each other! Hardly ever used the PS3 for online because the voice chat was so awful!!!!!!

I find the 360 to be just as bad. Why there isn't an option to talk to your friends/team mates only in all games bewilders me.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby corkscru74 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:39

The first thing to say is you're right - when you look at PlayStation 3, the line-ups this year such as Beyond, The Last of Us and third-party games such as new Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed games... PlayStation 3 is still getting some awesome games on it.

This is new! Unless I've missed something, has he just outed a new entry in the Ass Creed series? I know that Ubisoft let slip in their financials about a new entry but I seem to recall that was a new character and setting for Next gen. This sounds too soon for all that - maybe a 'Brotherhood/Revelations' style follow-up for Connor?
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby richomack360 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:41

Bambis Dad wrote:I find the 360 to be just as bad. Why there isn't an option to talk to your friends/team mates only in all games bewilders me.

Because of this bizarre obsession with "networking" "social media" and "everyone must love everyone" approach from silly devs and publishers.

Seriously, I am a grumpy 31 year old, i like hearing my own voice and the voices of my friends - thats it, occasionally a few verses from Iron Maiden, but thats it.

Do I really want to hear a 13 year old screaming because he can't get what he wants ? If I did I would go to Asda on a Saturday afternoon and its miles away from my mancave, rather than pumped into my ears whilst watching my arse grow on my sofa.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby RustySpoon80 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:49

qSPARTANp wrote:HEADPHONE-PHONE JACK....................Hopefully to be used for a bloomin set of head-phones so that only the person talking into the "Head-phones" gets heard instead of some B**ch and kids in the background shouting at each other! Hardly ever used the PS3 for online because the voice chat was so awful!!!!!!

Ah, but the mic is in the controller (a mono headset is included) so you'll hear them more.

It's good in that everyone can talk, but it's bad in that EVERYONE can talk.
God bless the mute button.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby StonecoldMC » 26 Feb 2013, 15:04

Bambis Dad wrote:

I find the 360 to be just as bad. Why there isn't an option to talk to your friends/team mates only in all games bewilders me.

Party Chat and Mute?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Bambis Dad » 26 Feb 2013, 15:08

Stonecold wrote:Party Chat and Mute?

Are you threatening me? ;)

In my defence it has been a few years since I played online on my 360. If they've included a feature that allows me to only talk to my mates then hats off to them.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Next