to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Tomb Raider review: Killer reboot gets (almost) everything r

Your comments on our articles.

Lara's not the star - the brilliantly-realised island is...

Over seventeen years, the Tomb Raider series has consistently failed to recapture the magic of its brilliant debut. The smart, mysterious original saw you isolated and alone, drawn deeper and deeper into dark chasms, with no idea what was coming up next (dinosaurs!), and nothing for company but the occasional reassuring grunt from heroine Lara Croft.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby flash501 » 25 Feb 2013, 16:06

Two 9s in two reviews. Good stuff. I was beginnind to get a slight nagging feeling that this would be a bit of a disappointment but it looks like I was wrong.

A survivior is born! :mrgreen:
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby ricflair » 25 Feb 2013, 16:10

I don't know what it is about the game, but I've just not been able to muster any excitement for it. I've seen an 8 from EG, 8.5 from Destructoid, which still haven't really got me excited. A 9, especially from this site, does nothing either.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Re: Tomb Raider review: Killer reboot gets (almost) everythi

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 25 Feb 2013, 16:14

I had a feeling this may be a surprise hit and look forward to picking it up at some point.

Less boring gaming hilarity on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Video of the week; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAeYL7eAdI
KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby El Mag » 25 Feb 2013, 16:17

Is this the review from the new issue of Gamesmaster, cos they say a lot of things the same. Like full paragraphs.

It's out next week isn't it? I kept thinking it was the 15th of March for some reason. Either something else is out that day or I've forgot somebody's birthday again.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby TheLastDodo » 25 Feb 2013, 16:18

The final paragraph of this review is almost word for word the same as GamesMasters :lol:

GamesMaster wrote:said it will take 10-15 hours to finish the main campaign, but if you want to explore the entire island, prepare to mark 20 hours off your schedule.

“Sitting back exhausted we were left with just one question dribbling forth from our gaping jaws. How on earth are they going to top this in the sequel? Because of one thing there can be no doubt. Lara is back."

CVG wrote:Yet, following a bombastic final third, the 10-15 hour long story draws to a particularly memorable conclusion, and these things hardly seemed to matter. It takes around 20 hours to fully explore the entire island, something you'll instantly feel compelled to do, and at the end your thoughts will turn to the inevitable sequel - and how Crystal Dynamics will look to top this.

Because rest assured: Lara is back.

:shock:
TheLastDodo 77

Postby flash501 » 25 Feb 2013, 16:20

El Mag wrote:Is this the review from the new issue of Gamesmaster, cos they say a lot of things the same. Like full paragraphs.

Yeah, that summary is the same as the one you posted from the Gamesmaster review, isn't it? :?
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby TheLastDodo » 25 Feb 2013, 16:23

It's the same guy that did the GamesMaster review.

He just changed a few words in the hope we wouldn't notice ;)
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Queen Skillage » 25 Feb 2013, 16:24

Or it's another review conspiracy!

Probably not, but those are always fun aren't they.
Queen Skillage 64
Global Moderator

Postby ingy » 25 Feb 2013, 16:25

I would say i'm 'up' for a bit of lara, but that's just too cheesy.

I have this on pre order and can't wait, i don't understand the criticism of the in game characters as stereotypical, this is a game after all, not a high brow movie, i like having overblown stereotypes it adds to the fun, lighten up people.

This game could always do with more tombs, but it looks like they are really pushing the drama in this one, bring it on.
ingy 64

Postby TheLastDodo » 25 Feb 2013, 16:29

Another 9/10 from GamesFaster

They say it'll take 10-15 hours to finish, somewhere between 19 mins 59 secs and 20 mins 1 sec to explore the rest of the island and that Lara has returned.

No offense Andy.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 25 Feb 2013, 16:34

Id completely written this off, being a long time scorned tomb raider fan, however I have to say this has totally taken me by surprise, and I have pre-ordered a copy. Brilliant news, especially after the immense aliens disappointment.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 25 Feb 2013, 16:37

I'll give it a try I guess but all the drama and story is ruined if the characters in it are that flat and uninterestingly stereotypical. Everything I've seen looks like over-actiony QTE events after another and the combat itself doesn't look fun or engaging enough. The review just doesn't read like a 9.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby ginsin » 25 Feb 2013, 16:49

ricflair wrote:I don't know what it is about the game, but I've just not been able to muster any excitement for it. I've seen an 8 from EG, 8.5 from Destructoid, which still haven't really got me excited. A 9, especially from this site, does nothing either.

I'm with you there, Ric.
Victory is just a prelude to the next battle.
ginsin 67

Xbox Live: Nocuous Penguin
Steam: ginsinuk

Postby budge » 25 Feb 2013, 18:12

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I'll give it a try I guess but all the drama and story is ruined if the characters in it are that flat and uninterestingly stereotypical. Everything I've seen looks like over-actiony QTE events after another and the combat itself doesn't look fun or engaging enough. The review just doesn't read like a 9.

I was expecting a 7.5 at the most after reading the review.

I'm still not sure on this game myself, it just sounds like a 3rd person Far Cry 3 and I got bored of that halfway through.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Postby funkyjack » 25 Feb 2013, 18:25

It reads like a 7 or an 8, definitely wasn't expecting a 9, and I seriously doubt it beats Uncharted 2 or 3...

Unconvinced.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Next