to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

So...

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Re: So...

Postby rbt2 » 24 Feb 2013, 21:49

Chelsea may have been doing ok football wise but they were weeks away from bankruptcy before that Russian prick came in and saved them.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby Barry316 » 24 Feb 2013, 21:56

Well i'll start this rumour now and see how long it is until the Sun use it.

Benitez to replace Wenger.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby flash501 » 24 Feb 2013, 21:58

To be honest, it's not actually the fact that these clubs are spending endless millions that bothers me. It's just the fact that the majority of the players who they bring in for the big bucks usually end up being complete wastes of space who do nothing to justify their price tag. Players must rub their hands together with glee when Chelsea come sniffing around.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby rbt2 » 24 Feb 2013, 22:01

I don't blame the players though.
All about supply and demand.
I any of us were offered thousands to play footy we would take it.
Too many foreign owners with too much money than sense being allowed to buy up clubs.
Shouldn't be allowed.
rbt2 76

Postby EighteenSky » 24 Feb 2013, 22:04

rbt2 wrote:Chelsea may have been doing ok football wise but they were weeks away from bankruptcy before that Russian prick came in and saved them.

So you're against clubs being saved or just that club in particular?

flash501 wrote:To be honest, it's not actually the fact that these clubs are spending endless millions that bothers me. It's just the fact that the majority of the players who they bring in for the big bucks usually end up being complete wastes of space who do nothing to justify their price tag.

While that can be a problem its usually down to bad management at the boardroom level. If you are going to buy a player for big money you have to be sure they'll be quality, watch them week in week out. This doesn't happen some times. Torres and Shevchenko are prime examples for Chelsea but most of the time they match what the transfer fee and wages.
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U), Pokémon X (3DS), Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Next to play: My Girlfriend is the President (PC), Battalion Wars 2 (Wii), Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
EighteenSky 70

Wii Code: Wii U - EighteenSky

Postby rbt2 » 24 Feb 2013, 22:12

No I'm against clubs that take advantage of the footballing financial situation that still do well football wise but are on the brink financialky.
And I would have loved it if Chelsea had gone bust cos I hated them when they were s**t.
Here's an idea though. How about only local fans being able to own their clubs?
Not know nothing rich men who know nothing about the heritage, history or background of the plaything they're buying?
rbt2 76

Postby jim2wheels » 24 Feb 2013, 22:14

I'm f**king sick of hearing that argument about these money bag clubs breaking up the old monopoly. They're doing it by creating their own one that is borderline impossible to break by using outside/non-football related interference that has f**k all to do with football. Liverpool dominated because they were run better than any other club in that era, same applies to United. They're spending s**t loads because they've worked their b*****ks off being successful on and off the pitch through the power of football. And for the record, Chelsea were doing well before Roman arrived? They were 6 months away from ceasing to exist as they were up to their eyeballs in debt! Over 150million in debt thanks to their failed hotel project and poor leadership.

You can't blame these rich club fans defending their club vehemently, it's exactly what we would all do. Good luck to them and their club. But you can't tell me their success is built on a level playing field. Yes the old top 4 were monopolising the CL money, but that was because they were the best clubs at that time. Which is down to football reasons. Leeds had their chance (sorry Dave) as did Newcastle, but they were run by idiots and ultimately got what was coming to them. If UEFA distributed the cash properly this would never have happened. The money earned by CL success should have been filtered down to each national leagues as a whole. But that's capatalism for you, reward the successful and f**k everyone else.
jim2wheels 69

PSN ID: jim2wheels

Postby dwhlufc » 24 Feb 2013, 22:20

No probs, jim. Its only the truth to be fair, mate.

I'm confused by eleventys comments. Months ago he was saying he couldn't wait for FFP rules as it would stop the big clubs spending more money than they actually earn through sponsorship etc, but now he's saying he welcomes big clubs spending money they don't actually create through merchandise, advertising, sponsorship etc? :?
dwhlufc 76

Postby EighteenSky » 24 Feb 2013, 22:33

dwhlufc wrote:I'm confused by eleventys comments. Months ago he was saying he couldn't wait for FFP rules as it would stop the big clubs spending more money than they actually earn through sponsorship etc, but now he's saying he welcomes big clubs spending money they don't actually create through merchandise, advertising, sponsorship etc? :?

I do change my mind quite often with the FFP rules but it has a period of time where clubs have to reach a certain amount of revenue compared to what they spend irc. If a club backed by a billionaire can reach that target then I'm fine with that as its within the rules. I see few if any clubs that won't be able to comply with that that have such owners. If they can't do that within the time given then thats where the sanctions should begin and will limit the clubs that can't deal with it.
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U), Pokémon X (3DS), Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Next to play: My Girlfriend is the President (PC), Battalion Wars 2 (Wii), Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
EighteenSky 70

Postby ricflair » 24 Feb 2013, 23:36

I think what annoys me about the big spending clubs is how crass it seems. A lot of the time there's no skill in the acquisition, its just throwing f**k loads of money at loads of players and hoping some sticks.

I remember the Comolli days when we bought any half decent player for about £10m - £15m and it didn't pay off. There was no communication between Levy/Comolli and the managers. We were bloated by over priced, over paid, ineffective players with a poor attitude and were lacking in glaringly obvious places. At least we've generally bought through big sales, while not at Arsenal or Everton's level, we've operated generally within our means and that's despite being owned by a billionaire fan.

When Jose first came in he built a proper team, after that it totally went to s**t. It was no surprise that about 8 years later the backbone of Mourinho's team were a) Chelsea through and through and b) still the key players.

Although I like the fact that long term domination seems difficult with a gang of mercenaries.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby Samildanach » 25 Feb 2013, 01:08

The thing with Chelsea is that they bullied other clubs out of buying players. I remember a few years back, Liverpool had a £12 million bid for Simao accepted by Benfica, Chelsea came in and bid £16 million so Liverpool pulled out and soon after, so did Chelsea but Liverpool didn't go back as Benfica were looking for £16mil then. Same with Jiri Jirosik(I think that's how it's spelled), Liverpool bid for him,but he went to Chelsea and ended up being loaned out, ended up at Celtic and Birmingham. United fans will remember the John Obi Mikel issue too.

If Abramovich or the Sheiks pull out and sell the clubs they own, them clubs are pretty much f**ked. All of the players on big wages aren't going to leave for lower wages so how do them clubs pay the £100k-£150k-£200k+ a week wages? Like Portsmouth probably.
PSN- Samildanach

You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.
Samildanach 71
Global Moderator

PSN ID: Samildanach

Postby jim2wheels » 25 Feb 2013, 23:04

It's gonna take some doing keeping hold/buying Bale this summer for Spurs and the 6 clubs in the world that can actually afford him.

Hands down player of the year so far in my book.
jim2wheels 69

PSN ID: jim2wheels

Postby flash501 » 25 Feb 2013, 23:07

He reminds me of Ronaldo more and more with each game he plays now. He could well be his team-mate next year!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby EighteenSky » 25 Feb 2013, 23:57

The more I watch Adebayor the more I am confused as to how on earth he is still playing in the PL let alone a big side. Spurs need to get rid of him in the summer and bring in 2 quality strikers.
EighteenSky 70

Postby shellster2 » 26 Feb 2013, 00:20

Bale has to win player of the year. He is just in a class of his own right now. That 2nd goal against the Hammers was stunning. I wouldn't be surprised if Bayern don't go after him. Real Madrid or Barca would be good options I reckon.
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 68

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

PreviousNext