Retro Vault: The 16-bit war, GoldenEye and Donkey Kong Count

Your comments on our articles.

Plus: a look back at an Alien game that WASN'T a disappointment

Retro Vault is our regular weekly feature in which we dive into gaming's past and share five classic nuggets of retro nostalgia. If you missed last week's Retro Vault you can read it here.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Retro Vault: The 16-bit war, GoldenEye and Donkey Kong Count

Postby TerrorK » 16 Feb 2013, 11:09

The 16-bit wars began in 1992? That's news to me. I thought they began more than half a decade earlier with the Commodore Amiga vs. the Atari ST personally. And by 1992 the ST had pretty much already lost and was on its way out. Granted the Amiga only lasted 3-4 more years too, but... still. By the time 1992 had come along, the 16-bit wars were certainly not "just beginning" by any means.
TerrorK 56

Re: Retro Vault: The 16-bit war, GoldenEye and Donkey Kong C

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 16 Feb 2013, 11:40

The article is clearly talking of consoles not computers :roll: Nice article, thanks

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby TerrorK » 16 Feb 2013, 12:00

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:The article is clearly talking of consoles not computers :roll: Nice article, thanks

Then they should specify console 16-bit wars. Otherwise it's like writing an article about WWII and claiming that it didn't start until the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 brought the Americans into the fold.
TerrorK 56

Postby Laughlyn » 16 Feb 2013, 12:22

Alien 3 on SNES was amazing, i had it for christmas a few years later n kept sneaking it out the wrapping to play it when my parents went to bed. it really had you on edge and even though it utterly ignored 90% of the movies plot it just made it better.

I also remember the big console wars of the 90s mega drive had some great games but i always loved my snes, each had its ups and downs but i have very fond memories of both and going to a mates house at weekends swapping consoles so i could play his megacd/32x combo and battle through an arcade perfect of Final Fight on Mega CD. theres some memories from the 16bit console era. its a shame the same kinda quality is lacking in modern games
Laughlyn 55

Postby Drusus » 16 Feb 2013, 12:30

TerrorK wrote:The 16-bit wars began in 1992? That's news to me. I thought they began more than half a decade earlier with the Commodore Amiga vs. the Atari ST personally. And by 1992 the ST had pretty much already lost and was on its way out. Granted the Amiga only lasted 3-4 more years too, but... still. By the time 1992 had come along, the 16-bit wars were certainly not "just beginning" by any means.

Pfft Amiga fans, they never change. It's obvious they're talking about consoles.

Oh and the Atari ST 520 is better than anything Amiga ever put out. That should keep him busy. Gods, will people not talk to others in old folks homes based on what side they chose in the great 360 vs PS3 war. S'crazy stuff.
Drusus 59

Postby DoomGuy84 » 16 Feb 2013, 13:31

Nice article - i love this retro goodness :) Goldeneye and DKC are two of my favourite games ever. I remember reading about DKC in an old Edge magazine and it said when Nintendo revealed it everyone thought it was actually an N64 (Ultra 64 at that time) game! As for the Mega Drive v SNES war, i had both so i was pretty neutral in those arguments :D
DoomGuy84 31

Postby Bambis Dad » 16 Feb 2013, 13:41

Some f us will be in old folks homes sooner than the PS3/360 whippersnappers. We will have decent standard of conversation arguing the merits of ZX Spectrum vs BBC Micro B vs Commodore 64.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Chris Scullion » 16 Feb 2013, 15:36

TerrorK wrote:The 16-bit wars began in 1992? That's news to me. I thought they began more than half a decade earlier with the Commodore Amiga vs. the Atari ST personally. And by 1992 the ST had pretty much already lost and was on its way out. Granted the Amiga only lasted 3-4 more years too, but... still. By the time 1992 had come along, the 16-bit wars were certainly not "just beginning" by any means.

With all respect, the phrase "the 16-bit wars" is very much associated with the Mega Drive and SNES.

Of course there was a separate war ongoing between Amiga and ST fans (I was an Amiga man myself), but people generally refer to it as just that - the Amiga and Atari ST war.

You ask a gamer about the 16-bit wars and 99% of them will be thinking Sega and Nintendo.
Chris Scullion
CVG Staff

Xbox Live: Scully1888
PSN ID: Scully1888

Postby fatgangsta » 16 Feb 2013, 16:28

Argue about Golden Eye being the best Movie game tie in? i wouldn't it's a simple question with a simple answer and that's hell Yeah Golden Eye is still the best Movie/game
fatgangsta 41

Postby Bambis Dad » 16 Feb 2013, 16:34

fatgangsta wrote:Argue about Golden Eye being the best Movie game tie in? i wouldn't it's a simple question with a simple answer and that's hell Yeah Golden Eye is still the best Movie/game

Star Wars X-Wing, Star Wars Rogue Squadron and Dark Forces 2 are great licensed games but Goldeneye is the undisputed winner.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby toaplan » 16 Feb 2013, 18:32

^ Batman: the Movie on the Amiga, and Indy Last Crusade by Lucasarts on the Amiga / PC are also some of the best movie tie-in games ever. Batman had frantic driving sections, enjoyable Bionic Commando-style platform sections and groovy music. Indy 3 is a classic point-and-click adventure and a pretty faithful scene-by-scene recreation of the entire movie. I also quite liked the SNES Star Wars games, although those games had some occasional unbalanced and repetitive gameplay and frustrating sections. Plus, Konami's Aliens and Data East's Robocop are coin-op classics.

GoldenEye is probably still the single best movie tie-in. I especially liked how they used music to enhance the atmosphere in that game. But if the Arkham games were based on movies, I'd rate them clearly higher than GoldenEye in this category. They are my favourite games overall based on licenced movie / comic book IP.
toaplan 74

Postby razors edge » 16 Feb 2013, 20:24

Die Hard Trilogy.

Remember playing that when lady di bought the farm. Quality tie in.
razors edge 43

Postby Laughlyn » 16 Feb 2013, 20:41

OK OK! if we're starting to go off track and start discussing great movie tie ins.... The Star Wars trilogy games on SNES were pretty awesome too, the platform shooter ones, then Batman on NES. There has been some great movie tie in games int the past... the long long past befor epublishers just rushed out p**s poor cash ins to rip off parents whose kids get caught up in the hype *cough* activision *cough* but back in the day a lot of movie tie ins where pretty top quality because they didnt really mess about. Batman on the NES was a really challenging game, Batman returns on SNES was a pretty cool beat em up. the Terminator 2 Arcade game on mega drive, Dragon the bruce lee story was a good fighting game. sure there was some pretty bad stinkers as well but the good ones outnumbered the bad a lot better than they do today, now if its a movie tie in we instantly know its gonna be a rushed pile of crap that someone with a basic knowledge of game making could probably make in the same amount of time. I'd much rather play Goldeneye on the N64 than the god awful reloaded, somehow the n64 version still looks better than the jaggedy tripe from other year. oh and of course, its not a film tie in but COME ON! how has no one mentioned Duck Tales on NES? :D
Laughlyn 55

Postby charliecheswick » 16 Feb 2013, 20:54

DoomGuy84 wrote:Nice article - i love this retro goodness :) Goldeneye and DKC are two of my favourite games ever. I remember reading about DKC in an old Edge magazine and it said when Nintendo revealed it everyone thought it was actually an N64 (Ultra 64 at that time) game!

That's right! When UK terrestial tv only had 4 channels,there was a programme on ITV,can't remember what it was called but it had a mix of films,music and games. They showed DKC and me and my brother thought it was for the next gen Nintendo. The graphics were great for the time. Toaplan's right about the Batman film tie-in,it was a classic. Can still remember using the grappling hook to turn corners in the Bat-mobile. Love these articles!
charliecheswick 48

PSN ID: pulpeto_san
Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby toaplan » 16 Feb 2013, 22:23

^ Here's the title sequence of Batman the Movie with the catchy tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHkm7q3kVs

The tunes in Sunsoft's Batman on the Mega Drive were even better, here's "Gotham City Streets" from the first level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qmI21OowO8

The NES version of Batman was also excellent as was mentioned and Batman Returns on the Mega CD was terrific as well.
The intro music of Batman Returns CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53-0Tx6HdSc

Only Batman on the PC Engine was slightly disappointing, although it wasn't a bad game by any means. The adventures of Batman & Robin on the SNES was perhaps the last decent Batman game as far as I'm aware of, until Arkham Asylum which took Bat-games to a whole new level.
toaplan 74

Next