to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Opinion: Sony seizes the moment

Your comments on our articles.

Gazumping Xbox by announcing first shows Sony has learnt hard lessons, writes Rob Crossley

There was a line, delivered by former PlayStation boss Kaz Hirai in 2006, that likely still haunts him to this day.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby StonecoldMC » 01 Feb 2013, 13:14

Its a strange one, Kaz was in the news the other week saying they would let MS show there hand first and now this?

Its like a big game of poker being played out in front of us and the loser is the first one to blink.

Interesting to read that they might not be going after raw power though, I suppose time will tell.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Toki zero » 01 Feb 2013, 13:23

:lol: I'd hazard a guess it will be a good bit cheaper than the PS3 was when it was first released, if the whole "we're not aiming for making the most powerful console" is anything to go by.

Comically priced the PS3 definitely was when first released, and there was people stupid enough to actually buy it when it was first released with a 65 gb hard drive, although there obviously wasn't many, it was dropped almost a third in price pretty quickly, and came with a free game when the price was first dropped in most stores. Albeit with the ps2 chip removed so people wouldn't continue buying ps2 games and play only them on it cause the selection of games at first on PS3 was atrocious. The launch titles better be good this time too, we all know how bad the selection of games was on the PS3 for the first while.

The first uncharted was really green, nothing but green, nothing screamed next gen about it either at the time, they made up for it with the sequel though, but seriously, no cop out everythings green game again, and people complained about how grey gears of war was as an xbox launch title.
Toki zero 29

Postby toaplan » 01 Feb 2013, 13:29

Agree with everything else, but I don't think the "Next generation doesn't start until we say it does" line was really that bad and arrogant. By '90s video game marketing standards it would have been quite tame - "Genesis does what Nintendon't", "Why did the Hedgehog cross the road? To get to MarioLand" etc. It's the kind of playful and cheeky comment typical of console "wars" (especially of the past).
Last edited by toaplan on 01 Feb 2013, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
toaplan 74

Re: Opinion: Sony seizes the moment

Postby EvilWaterman » 01 Feb 2013, 13:29

I just hope that they have thought mainly about us "Hardcore" Gamers, the people who don't give a s**t about "social Gaming and Social Experiences"

I don't mind a good gaming console with a bit of social elements to it but I wont be buying it if that's all they care about!
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 54

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Feb 2013, 13:31

StonecoldMC wrote:Its a strange one, Kaz was in the news the other week saying they would let MS show there hand first and now this?

Its like a big game of poker being played out in front of us and the loser is the first one to blink.

Interesting to read that they might not be going after raw power though, I suppose time will tell.

You've not played poker much then have you? You're thinking of a staring contest :P
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby StonecoldMC » 01 Feb 2013, 13:38

FishyGinger wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:Its a strange one, Kaz was in the news the other week saying they would let MS show there hand first and now this?

You've not played poker much then have you? You're thinking of a staring contest :P

SNAP!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 01 Feb 2013, 13:38

Xbox 360 was easily the best overall experience this generation imo.

However, I would love for Sony to show their flair again and take their crown back.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Get Over Here » 01 Feb 2013, 13:41

I think the roles will reverse this gen.

Sony needed to learn a harsh lesson and they have. Now I think MS is making the same mistake with all this talk of dominating the living room (rumours of the Durango being a console as well as a DVR and underpowered in comparison) and all this Kinect nonsense integration leading to a more expensive console.

That coupled with the fact that MS has seriously neglected core gamers in the sense that they have not poured funds into big new first-party titles for what seems like years.

Sony is primed I think to really delivers with all their first-party studios. Most of them have gone quiet so I reckon it could be a megaton launch line-up. Also, put your money on PS4 releasing this year.
@KazHiraiCEO "Yes they are crunching, Geoff. Crunching like delicious Doritos potato chips"
Get Over Here 47

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Feb 2013, 13:56

StonecoldMC wrote:
SNAP!

Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby richomack360 » 01 Feb 2013, 14:00

Won't be getting either true next gen consoles (Xbox and PS) as the constant shoe horning of social this, cloud that, media that is entirely off putting.

If they released a light version, free of all that mumbo jumbo then I may be swayed back. Until that time - its 3DS on the horizon
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Barry316 » 01 Feb 2013, 14:07

I completely forgot what i was going to say after clocking that ginger cat. That's two horrible things nobody should ever see together.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby FixBeatGames » 01 Feb 2013, 14:16

i think the quote about next gen not being won by the most powerful system either backs up what i've been thinking, that a console with truly pc beating next gen power would simply be far too expensive to produce and get out to the public. so they're just going to aim for full 1080 60fps for everything with extra ooompf. it's all we need IMO, a tiny minority will have tvs capable of anything over 1080 for a good 5+ years for starters!

still got 'the last of us', 'gta 5' and 'the last guardian' to keep me going til then too. (i wonder if 'the last guardian' would be better served as a ps4 launch title now? if the problems they've had making it are down to restrictions of the ps3 it could be ideal for the game!)
FixBeatGames 41

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Feb 2013, 14:24

Barry316 wrote:I completely forgot what i was going to say after clocking that ginger cat. That's two horrible things nobody should ever see together.

Hurtful
but the troof
but still hurtful
you cu...cumber.

Surely with all this media gubbins that you hate, richomack, you can ignore it. You do have that power. Phones have all this crap, pc has all this crap, tv has all this crap but it's very ignorable. If that's a word.
FishyGinger 70

Postby richomack360 » 01 Feb 2013, 14:36

FishyGinger wrote:Surely with all this media gubbins that you hate, richomack, you can ignore it. You do have that power. Phones have all this crap, pc has all this crap, tv has all this crap but it's very ignorable. If that's a word.

Yes it is ignoreable, like that strange chap who likes nintendo so much. But, if I am buying into an expensive product why would I want to purchase items / hardware / software that I will not want or use ? whilst munching up my HD space (naughty MS surface tablet style) I don't want people dropping in and out of my games, i dont want messages popping up down the bottom of my screen, i do not want constant social nuisance related things clogging up my gaming time. (obviously its specualtion on my point)

If i want to be social I will go to the pub ! My phone has none of that facebook rubbish on it, as I think it makes people lazy rather than bringing them together. Give me 4 player splitscreen anyday.

Alaann wrote:when they say social I hope it means an improved friends list say looking through the friends list there is a little view into what they are doing and if the match looks interesting press x to join or something along those lines as for cloud I wouldnt mind a gaming version of netflix as long as phsycal and digital are along side it

Gaming version of netflix was OnLive and that went the way of Eldorado
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Druggedchimp » 01 Feb 2013, 14:45

I hope both Microsoft and sony's next gen provide significant investment in power and future proofing. However, my main concern is that the console industry goes the way of the PC market. Many PC games don't take full advantage of cutting edge PC technology and the sector is full of indie and F2P games with very few "true" AAA games. This year the only game that will really push the limits of PC capabilities will be Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinity will be optimised for PC but won't be pushing any graphical boundaries. It can be argued that this is due to the smaller market of high-spec owning PC players, but it is also a factor of development costs. A powerful next gen offering is certain to see higher development costs and depending on sales (lower than the current generation according to many analysts) may become more comparable to offerings within the PC sector. 

For some people this is fine - they love the Xbox arcade and PSN offerings and are very interested in the idea of F2P (dust 514). For me, not so much. Every AAA title on console (and there are many) attempts to push the limits of the tech available. Rage, although having some texture issues, looked phenomenal on console with 60fps. Crysis 3 is, apparently, pushing the absolute edge of what this gen can do. I've just watched some God of War - amazing, halo 4 on Xbox pushed the limits. I know these are all at the end of the cycle, but games produced within the launch windows were pushing current limits of developer skills and hardware - heavenly sword, gears of war, assassins creed.

If the instal base isn't as large and development costs are greater, true AAA becomes a greater risk and a less profitable prospect. The next gen may provide the power but we may only see that power harnessed two or three times a year. Essentially the next gen may be, for the most part, a continuation of this cycle with a greater emphasis on indie and F2P models. 

I hope this isn't the case... 
Druggedchimp 30

Next