SimCity Hands-on: Instantly playable, mystifyingly deep

Your comments on our articles.

Don your hard hats for Maxis' PC-conquering city-builder

At its heart, SimCity is a tribute in motion to the chaotic complexity of urban sprawls, a series of interconnecting cogs and gears intricately wound and synchronised, and it is to developers Maxis' credit that this revelatory successor to the now decade-old SimCity 4 is also wonderfully simple.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby richomack360 » 25 Jan 2013, 15:01

it currently occupies the realm of 'non-issue'

So if my internet is down for whatever reason, or Virgin decide to undertake repairs etc, me not being able to log in would still be a non issue ?

You might think its a non issue, but a lot of us think it is an issue.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Cogglesz » 25 Jan 2013, 15:09

I'm looking forward to giving this a bash and hope to play the beta.

However i must add to this Always online DRM, theres a big problem with EA's DRM, it tends to change alot and they scrap things and make new forms of it, take Sim City Societies, i went and bought that for about £25 via the EA Store which back then used EA Download Manager, and it said in 2 years i'd not be able to download again unless i paid this extra charge so i thought, well i don't want to be losing my game here so i went and got that too, now a days since origin is around even having the game fully reinstalled on it the game still uses the original download managers drm, and they servers arn't active anymore or work at all, so i'm pretty much stuck with an unplayable game and i've had to go and torrent the game and download a cracked version of the game to actually play it, the same thing will happen to this game, prove me wrong, over 6 months on and EA still haven't got back to me about it after repeat emails.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Re: SimCity Hands-on: Instantly playable, mystifyingly deep

Postby Ben Griffin » 25 Jan 2013, 15:21

richomack360 wrote:

So if my internet is down for whatever reason, or Virgin decide to undertake repairs etc, me not being able to log in would still be a non issue ?

I appreciate online DRM is worrying, but I was told by the lead producer that any brief network disturbance will not interrupt gameplaythough. Longer outages, however, will cause loss of gamestate.

So if Virgin decide to undertake repairs? I guess that's just bad luck. Luckily in this day and age, the internet going down is infrequent enough not to be a problem.
Ben Griffin 19
New user

Postby EvaaDJ » 25 Jan 2013, 15:32

richomack360 wrote:

When I'm on the road it really sucks, I like gaming when I'm travelling so that's a loss. Welp, gotta live with it.
EvaaDJ 9
New user

Postby Lt Fatman » 25 Jan 2013, 16:08

Sounds like fun, but to me the online DRM is a big issue. I appreciate they are trying to prevent piracy but this type of DRM is far too obstructive in my experience. I'll pass.
Lt Fatman 25

Postby lothlorn » 25 Jan 2013, 16:19

Ben Griffin wrote:
I appreciate online DRM is worrying, but I was told by the lead producer that any brief network disturbance will not interrupt gameplaythough. Longer outages, however, will cause loss of gamestate.

So if Virgin decide to undertake repairs? I guess that's just bad luck. Luckily in this day and age, the internet going down is infrequent enough not to be a problem.

Sorry but that is a moronic response. Just because something is not an issue for you does not mean it is not an issue for other people. Many areas of the UK still have very poor internet availability. Many other countries also have this problem. Always online is something that should never be included in a game unless absolutely required (eg an mmo) and certainly never in a single player game.

CVG and other websites/magazines should be fighting this battle for the consumer not just glossing over the cracks with a shrug.
lothlorn 48

Postby stealth » 25 Jan 2013, 16:32

where are the microtransactions
stealth 47

Postby richomack360 » 25 Jan 2013, 17:05

lothlorn wrote:[Sorry but that is a moronic response. Just because something is not an issue for you does not mean it is not an issue for other people. Many areas of the UK still have very poor internet availability. Many other countries also have this problem. Always online is something that should never be included in a game unless absolutely required (eg an mmo) and certainly never in a single player game.

CVG and other websites/magazines should be fighting this battle for the consumer not just glossing over the cracks with a shrug.

Claps loudly.

Great response. I don't always want to use my laptop in the home - what if I take it up to the Lake District where internet coverage is quite poor ? (in Eskdale or Boot) I won't be able to connect and therefore its pointless me buying this product.

Wish companies would get over this connected to the internet obsession, its ever so sad and non essential.

To the guy who originally replied to me - don''t be a clown.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby stackpool » 25 Jan 2013, 17:58

To the guy who originally replied to me - don''t be a clown.

Umm, it's the bloke who wrote the article.

Agree with the 'always on' aspect. It will be the first Sim City I don't bother with either. Shame.
stackpool 39

Postby Spider82 » 25 Jan 2013, 18:05

Absolutely head over heals excited to get my hands on simcity! Hoping for beta invite, but if not March 5th can;t come soon enough! Viva la revolution!
Spider82 37

Postby freds1 » 25 Jan 2013, 18:21

I'll stick with SC4. And I haven't bought a single EA game on PC since Origins' inception.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 57

Postby BuggeryMeNot » 25 Jan 2013, 19:12

Wow. I think I have never read such a dismal preview in the last 20 years.

Ben Griffin has eaten so much EA dick that it's clearly embarassing. I thought CVG was a serious website, but this prostituted preview says otherwise.

Shame on you.
Last edited by BuggeryMeNot on 25 Jan 2013, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
BuggeryMeNot 15
New user

Postby BuggeryMeNot » 25 Jan 2013, 19:16

Ben Griffin wrote:I appreciate online DRM is worrying, but I was told by the lead producer that any brief network disturbance will not interrupt gameplaythough. Longer outages, however, will cause loss of gamestate.

Bullshit. Not everybody lives in central f**king New York, US. Many of us still have s**tty connections, and some even Dial Up or Rural ADSL.

Also, we should never have to depend on our internet connection to play a f**king single player game (no, the BS excuse of social features they have forced into poor simcity doesn't clasify SimDRMity as multiplayer). Not to mention Origin going down. Ask Ubi buyers how they felt everytime those idiots couldn't keep their servers working.

Guess game journalist integrity is cheap these days.
BuggeryMeNot 15
New user

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 25 Jan 2013, 19:30

'Always online' is a f**king abomination in gaming, just because London, New York, LA or wherever have great internet the rest of Europe, Americas and Asia-Pacific does not and this is not about to change overnight. I live near Leeds, a big city, and still the connection is often average to say the least. This topic really s**ts me as I'm sick of internet providers, entertaiment providers (EA, Sky etc) telling me can do X, Y and Z whereever I like, f**king bullshit and the fact that if I get this game for my MAC it is perfectly conceivable that I an't play it if the internet is dodgy or down is an absolute f**king joke.

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 25 Jan 2013, 20:01

I don't know how anyone dares try to justify always on DRM. Gamer, developer or game journalists. And to dismiss it as a none issue is bloody moronic.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Next