Weekly Sports Quiz - Not enough interest - Cancelled

Discuss entertainment, TV, Film, sport, politics, whatever you want

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Weekly Sports Quiz - Not enough interest - Cancelled

Postby EighteenSky » 24 Jan 2013, 19:08

Thought I may as well try it here as well as on ONM so here it is, if it doesn't go well then I'll stop it, seeing as there isn't one on here I see no harm in it:

There will be 9 questions each week, 3 easy tier, 3 medium tier and 3 hard tier questions. You might as well answer them all even if some are just guessing as there is no penalty for a wrong answer. I will try and make it a question per sport per week. So no 2 sets of footy questions in one week.

Rules:
    Don't cheat, while there is no way for me to find out if you did I am trusting you all to play honestly
    You have 6 days to PM me the answers to the questions (deadline exactly 6 days as of posting questions)
    Anyone can join at any time
    1 point per correct Easy tier answer
    2 points per correct Medium tier answer
    3 points per correct Hard tier answer
    5 bonus points for all 9 correct answers
    Spelling does not matter as long as it is clear what you are trying to spell
    In the event of question needing multiple answers points will be awarded per answer
Last edited by EighteenSky on 30 Jan 2013, 19:13, edited 3 times in total.
Currently playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U), Pokémon X (3DS), Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Next to play: My Girlfriend is the President (PC), Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii), Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
EighteenSky 70

Wii Code: Wii U - EighteenSky

Re: Weekly Sports Quiz

Postby EighteenSky » 24 Jan 2013, 19:08

And here are the first set of questions:

Easy Tier

1. What does NBA stand for?
2. In snooker who won the 2013 Masters title?
3. Name one of the 4 tennis grand slams.

Medium Tier

4. Which sportsmen lit the Olympic torch at Atalanta 1996?
5. The Derby of Eternal Enemies is contested between which two football teams?
6. Which team did Valentino Rossi return to for this season after leaving Ducati?

Hard Tier

7. Who is this?

8. There was only one gold medal won at the 2012 Olympic games for Ireland but can you name the person in question who won it? If you cannot then there is 1 point available for naming the correct sport in which they participated.
9. Can you name the 3 Pakistan cricketers who were banned by the ICC for their part in the spot fixing scandal of 2010?

You have until next Wednesday at 6pm to pm me your answers.
Next to play: My Girlfriend is the President (PC), Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii), Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
EighteenSky 70

Re: Weekly Sports Quiz - Not enough interest - Cancelled

Postby EighteenSky » 30 Jan 2013, 19:13

Ok so there clearly isn't enough interest in this for it to continue. Thanks to the 2 of you who did answer, the 2 were Samildanach (who scored 5) and Carbon64 (who scored 8).

Anyway here are the answers.

Easy Tier

1. What does NBA stand for? - Answer - National Basketball Association
A very easy one to get us started, even if you knew nothing about basketball you could fairly easily guess.

2. In snooker who won the 2013 Masters title? - Answer - Mark Selby
Not as easy as Q1 if you don't know or follow snooker. This was classified as easy though as it's incredibly recent (final occurred the weekend before I set these) so with it being in the sporting news it should've been easy.

3. Name one of the 4 tennis grand slams. - Answer - Wimbledon, Australian Open, French Open or US Open
Another easy one with a wide choice of 4 answers. Everyone knows of Wimbledon even if you're not into tennis, hell theres been a movie on it. At the time the there was even one that was ongoing, that being the Australian Open.

Medium Tier

4. Which sportsmen lit the Olympic torch at Atalanta 1996? - Answer - Muhammed Ali
Perhaps the most memorable of torch lighting and was brought to my attention yet again when shown as the number one Olympic moment from the BBC.

5. The Derby of Eternal Enemies is contested between which two football teams? - Answer - Olympiacos and Panathinaikos
A fairly well known derby match but apparently not so to the members who answered.

6. Which team did Valentino Rossi return to for this season after leaving Ducati? - Answer - Yamaha
Yes the doctor is back at the team which has given him so much success and possibly is going to give more as well. After a rather disappointing 2 years with Ducati which produced very little he has returned to Yamaha.

Hard Tier

7. Who is this? - Answer - Rusty Wallace
To be expected no one got this. Rusty Wallace as my favourite driver growing up, I had the tops, the caps as much as my dad would buy me. Sure he wasn't the most successful driver but I loved him nonetheless.

8. There was only one gold medal won at the 2012 Olympic games for Ireland but can you name the person in question who won it? If you cannot then there is 1 point available for naming the correct sport in which they participated. - Answer - Katie Taylor, boxing
Irelands solitary gold medal and a well deserved one at that. Katie Taylor proved her worth and won the gold.

9. Can you name the 3 Pakistan cricketers who were banned by the ICC for their part in the spot fixing scandal of 2010? - Answer - Salman Butt, Mohammed Asif and Mohammed Amir
A hard question to wrap it up. It was an incident that shook international cricket but with these kind of fixing all too known in Pakistan it was bound to arise one day.
EighteenSky 70

Re: Weekly Sports Quiz - Not enough interest - Cancelled

Postby Carbon64 » 31 Jan 2013, 11:41

Woo hoo I win ! :lol:
Carbon64 57

Xbox Live: XB JACK
PSN ID: Carbon64