to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Full report: Wii U Nintendo Direct

Your comments on our articles.

Every detail from Nintendo's latest press conference

Nintendo has taken centre stage today with a Nintendo Direct press conference busting with new Wii U games and console updates.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby cult » 23 Jan 2013, 17:05

No Tom Hanks...
but the stealth said it would be big.

And yet outside of core IP's there was little.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby Stewox » 23 Jan 2013, 17:06

Uplink Available!
Checking for Megatons...
Found 1 ...
Handshaking ...
... Connection Established with "WiiU Nintendo Direct 23. January 2013"
>Status: "Iwata Dropped The Bomb"
>
Stewox 23

Postby MisterBedo » 23 Jan 2013, 17:26

I love Nintendo, but sorry, for what they're charging for old NES and SNES games, I'll be sticking to my emulator.
GT: MrBedo
I gave Brucie the goat at Twickenham.
MisterBedo 64

Re: Full report: Wii U Nintendo Direct

Postby goggy » 23 Jan 2013, 18:00

cult wrote:No Tom Hanks...
but the stealth said it would be big.

And yet outside of core IP's there was little.

Whatever!\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 23 Jan 2013, 18:02

A good if very boring presentation making my interest level go from about 2 to about 4 regarding the Wii U.

Its definately making the right sorts of strides for me and as i have said numerous times come the end of the year its going to be a very attractive purchase, coupled with the almost certainty of either a small price cut or better bundles/shop offers means again for me at some point its going to be making its way back to my house.

The Virtual console as always is a waste of time, games are far too expensive and are better run on either original hardware or emulators on a decent pc but for me its only a small letdown of the presentation, good to see the mii verse expanding, all it needs now is dedicated voice chat on everything to make the online community a better experience, silly drawings and notes just dont cut it at all, but again its early im sure it will evolve.

Monster hunter, lego city, 101, bayonetta 2, pikmin 3, mario kart, mario 3d, windwaker hd and the new rpg/strategy titles from Atlus and the makers of xenogears makes for a very decent list of exclusives for just one console so early in its lifespan.

I can honestly see Nintendo having a spectacular year what with the fantastic release list of 3DS games over the next 3-6 months. Also going heavy on late spring and summer releases when nobody else has stuff for launch is a great idea, people do have money in the summer, they just need the helping hand to spend it.

The only thing that will spoil it all is if Microsoft launch a killer new console at a very attractive price before the end of the year with a decent selection of titles. Even in a recession Microsoft especially in America and the UK have such a core fanbase who are biting their nails waiting for the next console, everyone i know wants it before they even know what it is, thats seriously weird in my eyes but hey ho.

2013 is already looking vastly more exciting than the snore fest that was 2012. Get buckled up and enjoy the ride!
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Barca Azul » 23 Jan 2013, 18:22

Pretty much what Megatrons said, however...

First party looks very familiar, and not ahead of what you can get on PS360's, from what ive seen so far.

Virtual console is as inviting as the PSN for pricing and what pound/euro exchange rate it that Ninty? Rip off Europe! 1.45, when the rate is 1.19 currently. and been below 1.28 for over 3 years.

I think for those that have an interest its welcome news. Im not sure its enough to sway many PS360 only owners.
Barca Azul 62

Postby goggy » 23 Jan 2013, 18:52

Barca Azul wrote:Pretty much what Megatrons said, however...

First party looks very familiar, and not ahead of what you can get on PS360's, from what ive seen so far.

Virtual console is as inviting as the PSN for pricing and what pound/euro exchange rate it that Ninty? Rip off Europe! 1.45, when the rate is 1.19 currently. and been below 1.28 for over 3 years.

I think for those that have an interest its welcome news. Im not sure its enough to sway many PS360 only owners.

Tbh, if there is nothing in that direct feed that interests you as a gamer, you're either:

a. Skint
b. Not a gamer, so why are you here!?
c. just plain old bitter at the uberness of Nintendo right now.
d. Clinically dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby tanukilou » 23 Jan 2013, 18:59

I knew HD windwaker was coming.. and it does look delicious but I hope they don't b*****ks the new Zelda up with co-op or multiplayer taking the helm. I heared whispers that new 3DS zelda is being announced early summer so that should keep me going until then. That Yoshi Yarn looks pretty too.

I'll end up getting a Wii-U no doubt, but most likely after a price cut and enough games are out (I still have a ton to play from this gen in the meantime). Despite all of the doom forecasts and the limp launch line-up, I think the Wii-U is going to be a tasty little console which offers a real vibrant alternative to PS/Xbox/PC once it gets going.
tanukilou 47

Postby TechnoWolf » 23 Jan 2013, 19:05

Anyone else think they pretty much ruined the windwaker "look" in the remake?
Also, I fell as if this has just given more reason to wait a year or two since that seems to be the time in which all the goodies will be out.
TechnoWolf 61

Postby thelazyone » 23 Jan 2013, 19:14

tanukilou wrote: I think the Wii-U is going to be a tasty little console which offers a real vibrant alternative to PS/Xbox/PC once it gets going.

Yeah, I completely agree with this, the graphical power wil be enough to keep us interested and I think it the WiiU will nicely complement Sony or Microsoft's next gen offerings.

There will be plenty good games on the system in the long run.
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby sigourney beaver » 23 Jan 2013, 19:21

every game they've shown off has impressed me i must say im looking forward to wind waker hd the most
sigourney beaver 45

Postby stealth » 23 Jan 2013, 19:28

very few e3's were better than this 35 minutes
stealth 47

Postby Clusks » 23 Jan 2013, 19:32

Console is only as good as the games it comes out with, so hopefully Nintendo can bring their A game.

The prospect of Shin Megami Tensei with Fire Emblem sounds very appealing :D
Clusks 45

Postby tanukilou » 23 Jan 2013, 20:06

I just watched that wonderful 101 clip.. it looks joyous!
tanukilou 47

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 23 Jan 2013, 20:24

I'm still not sure about the Wii U. So many stupid decisions such as no HDD and essentially being a current gen console.

I'll wait until PS4 and the next Xbox is announced and if the rumours are true such as no used games and download only then I'll just get a Wii U eventually as my next gen console.

Wii U is basically my last resort.
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Next