Video: Nintendo announces Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Your comments on our articles.

Wii offer an improved game experience, support off-TV GamePad play

Nintendo has announced plans to launch a high definition version of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker on Wii U this autumn.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Demigod001 » 23 Jan 2013, 15:48

Egad Nintendo remaking, reworking, reimaging one of its properties. Never :roll: I know everyone is doing HD remakes, and for ps3 and x360 it makes even less sense as they are so close to being replaced, but cant Nintendo make some new characters some new worlds? They are more stagnant that Disney before pixar and the buying spree.
Demigod001 40

Postby fatherofthenoo » 23 Jan 2013, 15:48

I didn't actually get to play Wind Waker. So now I get to enjoy the HD remake. As for the new Zelda; it sounds like they are truly working on something special.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby OfWolfAndBiggs » 23 Jan 2013, 15:51

Oh no, multiplayer Zelda? I like the idea of a less linear game though.

Looking forward to Wind Waker, being able to use the gamepad to change the wind direction should enhance the experience somewhat.
OfWolfAndBiggs 49

Xbox Live: OfWolfAndBiggs

Postby Osiris25 » 23 Jan 2013, 15:55

The Remake of Wind Waker looks stunning! I'm happy for a HD update, I love the wind Waker so can't wait. Interesting to see what they change with this new philosophy for Zelda. Perhaps a the free roaming Zelda where you can go and do the story and areas in which ever way you want sounds interesting. The idea that you don't have to play it alone sounds semi MMO style which could be something akin to Monster Hunter Tri where you can play it solo or recruit friends to tackle harder bosses or missions.
Osiris25 47

Re: Video: Nintendo announces Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Postby toaplan » 23 Jan 2013, 16:03

I think it's a smart move to release this to ease the wait for Zelda U, which "looks like it's going to take some time to complete" (surprise!!!). The new graphics look so nice that even Wind Waker veterans should be curious to explore the archipelago again.
toaplan 74

Postby TOKEN » 23 Jan 2013, 16:05

I'm glad i never played windwaker,this will be worth buying at the right price.

im eating abit of humble pie today,nice one Ninty.
just want retro to be working on starfox,fingers crossed.
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Postby goggy » 23 Jan 2013, 16:17

Boom!

That looks beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby Penguin101 » 23 Jan 2013, 16:22

Please may it be a Zelda MMO 2014. Pleeaaase! Or have a Zelda mechanic similar to Majora's Mask, but this time with other Characters that follow you around in a party using AI, and you can allow online or local multiplayer with a second gamepad/pro-controllers/wii-remotes!

Still Wind Waker remake sounds amazing. One can only hope for a Majora's Mask 3DS now to "complete" things :D (although I'm secretly hoping for a 3D original Zelda)
Penguin101 32

Postby Stewox » 23 Jan 2013, 16:23

TOKEN wrote:I'm glad i never played windwaker,this will be worth buying at the right price.

im eating abit of humble pie today,nice one Ninty.
just want retro to be working on starfox,fingers crossed.

Or F-Zero 8)

My Idea of an F-Zero UX:
- Super Hardcore Nightmare Difficulty option
- 1080p or 720p @ 120FPS(hz) (lol)
- Great music as in GX
- Improved Garage Feature
- Jaw dropping tracks with mindboggling design and art!
- Online Multiplayer :D
Stewox 23

Postby YCshinobi » 23 Jan 2013, 16:34

I actually thought they would go down this route of making a HD remake to ease the wait for a brand new Zelda, I just never thought it would be Wind Waker, I expected Majoras Mask HD after the rumours, but I'm far from disappointed, this is even better, looks amazing, release date please? :)
YCshinobi 66

Xbox Live: ycshinobi
PSN ID: ycshinobi
Wii Code: Wii U... YCshinobi
Steam: ycshinobi

Postby Audest_Oggust » 23 Jan 2013, 17:52

YCshinobi wrote:I actually thought they would go down this route of making a HD remake to ease the wait for a brand new Zelda, I just never thought it would be Wind Waker, I expected Majoras Mask HD after the rumours, but I'm far from disappointed, this is even better, looks amazing, release date please? :)

Better? I wouldn't say that. I love Wind Waker, but I think most would agree that Majora's Mask is superior. I know it's a matter of opinion, I would just like to point out that you're in the minority. :P
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 57

Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Postby Jingee » 23 Jan 2013, 17:56

Looks stunning, and really does the art style justice. Just a tad too much bloom lighting though.
Jingee 51

Postby brookie_2001 » 23 Jan 2013, 18:04

I quite like the look of this.
Big Wind Waker fan. A lot of (shallow) people were put off by Wind Waker because of its graphical style but those who played it, realised it was a classic Zelda game.

This doesn't look like your ordinary HD remakes you see on PS3/360. Which is basically upscalling an image. This looks similar to the Ocarina remake for 3DS which had a big graphical overhaul.
brookie_2001 62

Postby togrtc » 23 Jan 2013, 18:31

I have Wind Waker already but never completed it yet - Was thinking about playing it again only last week.

After seeing these screen comparisons I am going to wait. Looks great.
togrtc 18

Postby karkify » 23 Jan 2013, 18:41

Absolutely loved Wind Waker is one of my most highly rated games. Everything about it to me was perfect. The style also clicked with me; vibrant, colourful and unique, something which the other Zeldas truly lacked (Twilight Princess was unbelievably dull in comparison) and was dissapointed when they decided to carry it on only through the DS which just couldn't do the style any justice.
This may not be a new Zelda in the same style, but at least I'll be able to experience its vibrancy in HD now, instead of having to shell out £20 for the older version.
karkify 50

Next