Dead Space 3: First 3 hours prove you can have fun without f

Your comments on our articles.

Hands-on with EA's action-focussed single-player campaign

Resident Evil. Silent Hill. Alone in the Dark. At one point in the current console cycle each of these survival horror icons have embraced action-oriented gameplay to mixed success.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dead Space 3: First 3 hours prove you can have fun without f

Postby gillri » 22 Jan 2013, 10:13

As someone who brought DS1 (and DS2) the day it came out I really didnt mind the change in direction for DS2 with a slightly more action orientated gameplay and epic set pieces, I didnt think it was as good as DS1 but I still really liked it

I really think that yes its getting away from its horror roots more and more but is this such a bad thing with Dead Space? and this coming from someone who biggest disappointment this gen is RE5 (RE6 is the first main Resi game I will never buy)

The more I think of Dead Space the more Im interested in the myth and lore of the universe. I find the baclstory very interesting (maybe because im a sci-fi fan) I also think if DS3 way another drudge through dimly lit corridors
and clautrophobic environments people would complain about it being too 'samey' . As long as it has its horror moments in between more open area with lots of action then I really dont mind

If anything it will make the dark horror bits have even more impact when they do happen. I also really like the idea of being on a big icy planet which l give a nice change form synthetic surrounding

I cant wait for this game, in fcat im looking forward to it as much as GTAV...(but not Bioschock Infinite)
gillri 50

Re: Dead Space 3: First 3 hours prove you can have fun witho

Postby ingy » 22 Jan 2013, 10:23

Yes it does matter if it's moved further away from it's roots,

because it's another horror franchise lost to the action crowd, by all means make an action spin off but not at the expense of what made the first so good.

If you want an action title you're spoilt for choice, so woo hoo for you, but if like me you enjoy a good horror title where do i go?
ingy 64

Postby BenThomasFoster » 22 Jan 2013, 10:52

Why should I spend £40 on this when I can go out and buy Lost Planet, Gears of War or uncharted 3 all for less. Thats the point about my hating against DS3. #1 had this unique experience spaceship clostophobia and mysterious feeling not to mention amazing graphics. DS2 was the classic bigger epic and more bad ass, it lost some of it's appeal but was just unqiue enough to play along. However DS3 bring nothing new, nothing to get me hooked I might get it when it's £15 but it's not worth the full release
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby illage2 » 22 Jan 2013, 10:56

Can't wait to get this game :D looks awesome.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby gillri » 22 Jan 2013, 11:01

ingy wrote:Yes it does matter if it's moved further away from it's roots,

because it's another horror franchise lost to the action crowd, by all means make an action spin off but not at the expense of what made the first so good.

If you want an action title you're spoilt for choice, so woo hoo for you, but if like me you enjoy a good horror title where do i go?

I think the myth and lore of Dead Space is its strength, Im not sure I want another 10 hour trudge through dimly lit environents shooting necomoprhs again. It will have these horror sections which will now have more impact as a result of more open, outdoor area with human enemies

sometimes people just complain for the sake of complaining and alot of gamers can be self-entitled morons tbh. As long as it explores the universe of Dead Space and is consistent with it I dont mind.

Obviously it would make sense to have human enemies as those crazy unitologist were gonna turn up at some point and the change to an icy planet with some beautiful sci fi vista is a fresh and interesting one.

I actually think the DS universe is bigger than dimly lit corridors and limb cutting. as long as it never completely loses this I think we should embrace this game
gillri 50

Postby ingy » 22 Jan 2013, 11:10

gillri wrote:
ingy wrote:Yes it does matter if it's moved further away from it's roots,

I think the myth and lore of Dead Space is its strength, Im not sure I want another 10 hour trudge through dimly lit environents shooting necomoprhs again. It will have these horror sections which will now have more impact as a result of more open, outdoor area with human enemies

sometimes people just complain for the sake of complaining and alot of gamers can be self-entitled morons tbh. As long as it explores the universe of Dead Space and is consistent with it I dont mind.

Obviously it would make sense to have human enemies as those crazy unitologist were gonna turn up at some point and the change to an icy planet with some beautiful sci fi vista is a fresh and interesting one.

I actually think the DS universe is bigger than dimly lit corridors and limb cutting. as long as it never completely loses this I think we should embrace this game

It's not complaining for the sake of it, it's peeing us off because it's another specific genre that's been lost to the over crowded action market.

If you can't see this then you're kind of missing the point, it also sounds like you're more of an action fan anyway, after all like you say it was such a trudge playing DS1.
ingy 64

Postby gillri » 22 Jan 2013, 11:45

Im sure you would to believe that but nope my favourite games of all time is Shenmue, Deus Ex and Mass Effect 1 and 2

all of those games were choice, atmopshere and characters none are about the action (maybe with exception of ME2). I dont even play online FPS;'s anymore and my most anticipated game is the Last Guardian on PS3, so you got me all wrong. I just see the positive aspect of what could be a fantasitc opportunity to expand this great franshise, lets just not lose what m,ade it great in the first place

and your twisting my words and taking them out of context (you should be a politican) I said another 10 hours of dimly lit corridors could potentially BE A TRUDGE and then people would complain about it being too 'samey'. How could I call one of my top 5 games this generation a trudge?

and I got Dead Space 1 the day it came out (one of the few people that did) so I would have a right to complain more than most. I watched the animated comics and the 2 anime also as well as played Extraction and DS Mobile so if I can see the positives, then lesser fans should also
gillri 50

Postby budge » 22 Jan 2013, 11:58

I enjoyed the first half of DS2 (the Stalker levels were thrilling) but I started getting tired of the game when it became endless action and only finished it just to get a few trophies. This 2nd sequel sounds exactly like what I didn't enjoy about the last one.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Postby paulcourtney10 » 22 Jan 2013, 12:18

the other two games never appealed to me, but this is more like it plenty of action scenes.
paulcourtney10 9

Postby ingy » 22 Jan 2013, 12:20

gillri wrote:Im sure you would to believe that but nope my favourite games of all time is Shenmue, Deus Ex and Mass Effect 1 and 2

all of those games were choice, atmopshere and characters none are about the action (maybe with exception of ME2). I dont even play online FPS;'s anymore and my most anticipated game is the Last Guardian on PS3, so you got me all wrong. I just see the positive aspect of what could be a fantasitc opportunity to expand this great franshise, lets just not lose what m,ade it great in the first place

and your twisting my words and taking them out of context (you should be a politican) I said another 10 hours of dimly lit corridors could potentially BE A TRUDGE and then people would complain about it being too 'samey'. How could I call one of my top 5 games this generation a trudge?

and I got Dead Space 1 the day it came out (one of the few people that did) so I would have a right to complain more than most. I watched the animated comics and the 2 anime also as well as played Extraction and DS Mobile so if I can see the positives, then lesser fans should also

I'm not trying to twist things around, but it's your failure to understand why so many people are upset about the direction this game has taken, and once again i stress that this game has now become an action title at the expense of what was more of a horror game.

I'm glad you're looking forward to this game, it's just a shame another genre is being lost to the crowded action scene.
ingy 64

Postby Uzi77 » 22 Jan 2013, 12:41

gillri wrote:and I got Dead Space 1 the day it came out (one of the few people that did) so I would have a right to complain more than most. I watched the animated comics and the 2 anime also as well as played Extraction and DS Mobile so if I can see the positives, then lesser fans should also
I did exactly the same, and I totally agree with all your points above. I think that if it fits the story, then they should follow whatever route they want to. The Dead Space universe along with Halo are the two franchises I play more for the story than for the gameplay. Yes they are a total blast to play, but finding out the next chapter in these ever engrossing stories is the biggest draw for me. Although EA are publishing, its still the same Dev's making this as the first, so it's still their child and although they may have been pushed to put more action in it, they would not let it jeopardise the story.

The fact they have numerous other stories in various types of media shows they want it as in-depth as possible. I watched the 2 Animé films and the 6 episode webcomic series about the Aegis 7 colony, but I missed out on the mini games, Extraction (the Xbox preorder bonus one?) and the mobile one. I did look them up on the Dead Space wiki though, as I wanted to know the story in them too.

I for one think that if they persuade more people to play DS3 with more explosions and action, as long as it doesn't hurt the story, I'm all for it. Some of the new players to this franchise may like it so much they return to DS1 and play through them all, that is nothing but a good thing.
Uzi77 54

Postby _Marty_ » 22 Jan 2013, 12:54

ingy wrote:I'm not trying to twist things around, but it's your failure to understand why so many people are upset about the direction this game has taken, and once again i stress that this game has now become an action title at the expense of what was more of a horror game.

I'm glad you're looking forward to this game, it's just a shame another genre is being lost to the crowded action scene.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I died a little inside when I played Resi 6 - that game was utter balls, and a million miles away from it's horror roots (which I LOVED).

Dead Space was an utterly amazing game. Dead Space 2 was still great, though lacked a little of the charm of the first imo - and the latter two chapters were a bit 'meh'. However, it was still a 9/10 game for me. I have been extremely worried about the direction Dead Space 3 would take - and the addition of co-op because the previous games were too scary had me reeling. However, this hands on actually alleviates some of my worries tbh. It sounds familiar enough to Dead Space that I should love it. The differenceetween Resi 2 and Resi 6 are stark, I'm not feeling these will be. Thankfully.

I am yet to pre-order DS3, but I think I will today. I'm starting to look forward to it......
NEO ANARCHIST AND BEST BANG SINCE THE BIG ONE

"RIP my baby kitty - forever in our hearts"
_Marty_ 59

Xbox Live: Da Sausageman

Postby Uzi77 » 22 Jan 2013, 12:58

ingy wrote:I'm not trying to twist things around, but it's your failure to understand why so many people are upset about the direction this game has taken, and once again i stress that this game has now become an action title at the expense of what was more of a horror game.

I think it's actually your failure to understand why this has happened. The Devs and the Publisher need to make money, they need to be profitable, you can't argue with that. If the vast, vast majority of players out there like more action, then of course they will add more of it so they sell more. If you want to have a bash at anyone, it should be the consumers in general. The sales figures speak for themselves.

If you really feel let down, don't buy it, that will be your protest. And when enough people don't buy it, I'm sure they will change the core gameplay again, perhaps back to Horror, perhaps to the new flavour the public are chewing on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUn9B8EH ... KQ&index=3
An interesting video from TotalBiscuit. 13:25 in the video, he starts talking about what is wrong with the Game Industry, not completely relevant, but he touches on the fact that it is us, the consumer, that causes the Developers to make questionable choices and we have to start being responsible for what we buy. His example is in quality of games that are rushed out to fill a genre gap, but the same can be applied to why we have seen a shift in game series exchanging their initial genre for action/shooter. Because if these developers don't shift, less will be sold. Its one of the problems with games being such a popular form of entertainment now, you either go AAA and sell as many as possible, or go Indie and sell what you can while keeping development costs down.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant. It's not just aimed at you, but us as consumers.
Uzi77 54

Postby ingy » 22 Jan 2013, 14:45

Uzi77 wrote:

I think it's actually your failure to understand why this has happened. The Devs and the Publisher need to make money, they need to be profitable, you can't argue with that. If the vast, vast majority of players out there like more action, then of course they will add more of it so they sell more. If you want to have a bash at anyone, it should be the consumers in general. The sales figures speak for themselves.

If you really feel let down, don't buy it, that will be your protest. And when enough people don't buy it, I'm sure they will change the core gameplay again, perhaps back to Horror, perhaps to the new flavour the public are chewing on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUn9B8EH ... KQ&index=3
An interesting video from TotalBiscuit. 13:25 in the video, he starts talking about what is wrong with the Game Industry, not completely relevant, but he touches on the fact that it is us, the consumer, that causes the Developers to make questionable choices and we have to start being responsible for what we buy. His example is in quality of games that are rushed out to fill a genre gap, but the same can be applied to why we have seen a shift in game series exchanging their initial genre for action/shooter. Because if these developers don't shift, less will be sold. Its one of the problems with games being such a popular form of entertainment now, you either go AAA and sell as many as possible, or go Indie and sell what you can while keeping development costs down.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant. It's not just aimed at you, but us as consumers.

You can't tell me DS1 didn't make money, but you're defending their right to get greedy and make a game that ticks all boxes and appeals to the largest demographic.

To use another example, would you like all music to be girls aloud/take that? because that's what sells the most.

Their are plenty of other music genres that sell enough to make money and are of vastly superior, but they stick to what they believe is best.

We should be giving developers stick for making 'vanilla' games.
ingy 64

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 22 Jan 2013, 15:03

I loved Dead Space 1, it was amazing, Dead Space 2 was fantastic until it got to the end which for me personally was a bit boring and had a rubbish end of game boss battle.

The new one looks great, cant understand the hate towards it at all but after having another crack at wait for it.....

Wait for it.......

Resident evil 6 (waits for dodo's onslaught)

And having bought a VITA recently I am now understanding that its possible to have knee jerk reactions to something only to come back to it at a later date with a proper length of time and change your mind.

Resident evil 6 still blows but nowhere near as bad as what i first thought and im absolutely in love with the vita so maybe all the Dead Space 3 haters may some time down the road have a change of heart as well. The recent DMC reboot has made a lot of people shut right up after bashing it 6 months before release, i personally dont like it but i see why so many do, it sure does look the part.

Roll on demo later today and the final game in 2 or so weeks........Yipeeee
Megatrons_Fury 51

Next