to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dust 514: 'It's the most meaningful shooter ever made'

Your comments on our articles.

As it enters open beta, CCP talks up its ambitious free-to-play PS3 FPS

Dust 514 is both familiar and strikingly new. While an online, sci-fi console shooter with a range of customisation and levelling options doesn't sound anything out of the ordinary, some familiar mechanics only thinly mask what's a first of its kind game, according to creator CCP, which is best known for the decade-old player-driven space MMO Eve Online.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby illage2 » 22 Jan 2013, 11:27

Game looks good :D
ImageImage
illage2 52

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: Dust 514: 'It's the most meaningful shooter ever made'

Postby Samildanach » 22 Jan 2013, 11:46

I got on the closed beta, it played alright but the maps felt empty and sparse. Plus there's such a huge amount of menus that it can be a little daunting starting off.
PSN- Samildanach

You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.
Samildanach 70
Global Moderator

PSN ID: Samildanach

Postby RustySpoon80 » 22 Jan 2013, 11:52

I got onto the beta last year and it felt very generic. There wasn't anything to set it apart from anything else.
Hopefully once its properly up and running there will be more to it. And if the updates come through regularly, it could end up being a great game.
It's going to need a lot of promotion to get players to stay with it year after year. I know its' free to play but they'd be better off releasing it on disk and selling it at cost. That way more people would see it and pick it up.
DC Universe hasn't done too well as people dont know about it.
RustySpoon80 54

Postby EvilWaterman » 22 Jan 2013, 11:52

It looks f**k all like the screen shots. The reality is that it looks like MAG and plays even worse.
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 51

Postby Ali_ » 22 Jan 2013, 13:00

Agreed. I deleted the Beta. The levels were grey on grey with a touch of grey. Low poly scenery, repetitive textures and little real feedback from the weapons. Quiet disappointing. Hope the real thing is better.
Ali_ 54

Postby Skullet » 22 Jan 2013, 14:43

I <3 CCP and Eve Online but have no love for Dust 514, mostly because I don't have a PS3 and I'm annoyed that I don't get to play it.

I like the idea behind Dust though and how it ties in with the Eve Universe, I think they can do a lot of cool stuff with it if it continues to evolve like Eve Online, but mostly I'm looking forward to obliterating loads of PS3 players from orbit in the relative comfort and safety of my internet spaceship.
Skullet 59

Postby ensabahnur » 22 Jan 2013, 15:35

RustySpoon80 wrote:I know its' free to play but they'd be better off releasing it on disk and selling it at cost. That way more people would see it and pick it up.
DC Universe hasn't done too well as people dont know about it.
DC universe was released to begin with as a retail disc which also locked to the first console it was put in meaning second hand wasn't an option. I don't think it done as well as expected. After they moved over to the free to play model it got a lot more users but the sparse world and poor comms made the game unplayable with friends unless you stumped up to create a guild and open up chat options as well. A months free trial of the premium content might have kept a few more players interested before they dumped it.

Pretty sure i had the beta for Dust from last years PS+ offerings but never started it up.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby richomack360 » 22 Jan 2013, 20:27

I went to Reykjavik last year, amazng place - I should of made a point of popping in for a studio tour! Game looks ok, but it has that free-to-play tag attached :shock:
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby toaplan » 23 Jan 2013, 01:38

Okay, but that's only because David Cage hasn't made a shooter yet. If his new project happens to be one, you can forget about being "most meaningful".
toaplan 72

Postby MrPirtniw » 23 Jan 2013, 02:24

toaplan wrote: Okay, but that's only because David Cage hasn't made a shooter yet. If his new project happens to be one, you can forget about being "most meaningful".

Hmm... a David Cage shooter? Yes please! Would the aim of the game be to fire him out of his own backside? :wink:
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby monkeydan19 » 23 Jan 2013, 11:23

game does look good and was gutted when i played beta its really really poor just shows you get what u pay for
free = crap
monkeydan19 35

Postby roguezink » 23 Jan 2013, 16:54

monkeydan19 wrote:game does look good and was gutted when i played beta its really really poor just shows you get what u pay for free = crap

No it doesn't, lanscapes are sparse with no detial. But it is beta still so be prepared for it to be rough around the edges. I started the open beta last night and I'm more concerned that I felt like i was doing nothing. Had a very 'empty' experience, and didn't feel connected to the world or battle at all. Felt like a TDM in a massive bf3 style conquest game. It didnt feel like 16v16 either.
roguezink 43

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Jan 2013, 16:57

toaplan wrote:

Okay, but that's only because David Cage hasn't made a shooter yet. If his new project happens to be one, you can forget about being "most meaningful".

:P

What does meaningful actually mean?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Hasham » 27 Jan 2013, 03:35

CCP just announced a friend referral program for Dust where people signing up via a link get a free Recruit Assault Rifle and Skill Booster. Well worth it seeing as the price of militia items went up hugely recently.

https://dust514.com/recruit/wRLsEs/
Hasham 2
New user

Postby Brenton » 02 Feb 2013, 10:08

FishyGinger wrote:
toaplan wrote:Dust 514: 'It's the most meaningful shooter ever made'

What does meaningful actually mean?

Having function, purpose, significance, value in a specific role.

So in the shooter category supposedly Dust 514 will be the most meaningful (valued, significant, purposeful) shooter. This I highly doubt. More so due to the fact it's a free to play shooter and probably devoid of any decent storyline.
Gaming is not only food for being content but a managing tool to manage and stem the tide of daily and work style stresses. Don't underestimate it...
Brenton 15

Xbox Live: Sparhawk70
Steam: Sparhawk122
Battle.net: SPARTALON