to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

2013 preview: 3DS and PS Vita

Your comments on our articles.

A look at the handheld games being thrust into your willing hands this year...

Every year we're promised that smartphones will kill off handheld gaming, and every year said handhelds let out a hearty chuckle and keep doing their thing. It seems 2013 will be no different.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby eddiehitler » 18 Jan 2013, 13:26

Looks good for the 3ds, don't forget that Sonic and Allstars racing transformed is also out next month :)
Also does anyone know what happened to the Yuji Naka game rodea the sky soldier as that looked really good but disappeared a while back
eddiehitler 50

Postby Malmo » 18 Jan 2013, 13:55

It's a pretty good year for the 3ds, i'll be picking one up towards the end of the year when pokemon X/Y comes out. By then i'll be able to play that, fire emblem, monster hunter 3, Castlevania plus a couple of games already out like mariokart and heroes of ruin. Even better a few of those may just be a little cheaper in places by October.

As for vita well I already have one but i'm really disappointed by the sheer lack of action towards development. Still waiting for Warriors lair despite it's e3 2011 reveal and supposedly being a launch window game and pretty much no other games that appeal to me. The Bioshock title they also announced at launch hasn't come to fruition, in fact 2k games said it's not even in the works until it receives funding, which, based on current vita sales is unlikely to happen. The vita is such a good handheld but my interest in it is quickly waning.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Re: 2013 preview: 3DS and PS Vita

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 18 Jan 2013, 14:30

Interesting CVG didnt mention TEARAWAY the new game from the folks behind Little Big Planet, it looks out of this world.

The 3DS does look very good release wise for the first half of the year and even if theres nothing else Pokemon will be good for xmas.

Personally as long as the special edition Disgaea 4 hits the vita or a special edition D2 gets done for it by NIS then i dont even remotely care about anything else for the Vita, theres at least 10 games of which i have most of them already that for me personally are must haves and thats good enough for me to purchase a console.

I still think they will tie the vita in with the ps4 as an optional controller making development for it a more attractive prospect so theres always hope.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Dewin » 18 Jan 2013, 14:44

Also interesting that they didn't mention Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force. Or Soul Sacrifice, Warrior's Lair, Dragon's Crown,
Phantasy Star Online 2, or Ratchet & Clank: Full frontal assault. But Tearaway was the most obvious one left out.

The 3DS looks good though. Glad i can play both worlds. :D
Dewin 49

Postby TheLastDodo » 18 Jan 2013, 15:24

Ratchet & Clank? Soul Sacrifice? Tearaway? Warriors Lair? Retro City Rampage? Lone Survivor? Guacemele? Binding of Isaac? That's off top of my head and I don't own a Vita.

Poor feature CVG.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby stealth » 18 Jan 2013, 16:21

what a generalized bad article.
stealth 47

Postby rallyeboy » 18 Jan 2013, 17:35

Touchscreen controls will NEVER be better than physical controls. End of...................IMO of course!!
XBL Gamertag: Rallyeboy
PSN ID: Rallyeboy_RB
rallyeboy 45

Xbox Live: Rallyeboy
PSN ID: Rallyeboy_RB

Postby budge » 18 Jan 2013, 18:12

rallyeboy wrote:Touchscreen controls will NEVER be better than physical controls. End of...................IMO of course!!

I agree but the touchscreen controls used in MGS3 Snake Eater (switching weapons/items and healing) worked really well.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby razors edge » 18 Jan 2013, 18:20

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Luigi..................
razors edge 43

Postby Clusks » 18 Jan 2013, 19:44

budge wrote:
rallyeboy wrote:Touchscreen controls will NEVER be better than physical controls. End of...................IMO of course!!

I agree but the touchscreen controls used in MGS3 Snake Eater (switching weapons/items and healing) worked really well.

Not to mention the ability to change boot type in OoT 3D. Think if I went back to the N64 version I'd get annoyed at the lack of efficiency!
Clusks 45

Postby Balladeer » 18 Jan 2013, 20:43

Combination of both is best. Actual end of. :)

I doubt the 3DS will have many problems now. It's selling great guns in Japan as it is (give Europe BD:FF, Squeenix! :evil: ), but they've got Pokémon announced. What I hope they don't do is coast. Dark Moon and FE aren't sufficient for the entire year up until October (I've played AC before), and I'm sliiiiightly worried that Nintendo might think they are.
Balladeer 78

Postby tanukilou » 18 Jan 2013, 21:22

Was secretly hoping for a reason to buy a Vita (yearning to play Gravity Rush)... but nothing even registering for me there.
tanukilou 47

Postby drunkadin » 19 Jan 2013, 00:38

The ipad4 has finally graphically outdone the vita. And that's within a year of the vita's release. The similarities of hardware between android, windows and iOS platforms means that games developed for them should be easily ported (famous last words). Heck, I'd be surprised if the vita stays ahead of phones in terms of output in a year or two.

What the phones and tablets need though is an accessory that you can clip onto the back of it that mirrors the functionality of the razer tablet. That's really it. If someone ever came out with that and got some devs on board to port standing games to tablets, you'd probably see the handheld market completely collapse. 24 million people in Japan use smartphones. 91 million in the U.S. There are 100 million ipads. In the U.S., many schools are replacing their textbooks with insured ipads, because they can have the content updated cheaper and they offer more. So the market exists.

If the peripherals ever caught up and devs ever gave it a concerted effort, that would be it. Will that happen? Maybe not. But...I wouldn't rule it out.
drunkadin 39

Postby karkify » 19 Jan 2013, 04:26

Maybe the iPad4 has caught up with it, but to keep up with these rapid advancements in phones and tablets you have to keep buying the latest tech every year (or in Apples case now, even 6 months) because the older tech doesn't support this and that effect. With a dedicated handheld (or console) you have a one time investment (assuming it doesn't break) and you're guaranteed all games and whatnot will run fine for the course of time you own it.

Also, compare PSP release games with something like GoW: Ghost of Sparta, or release PS3 games with Uncharted 3 or The Last of Us. Give devs time and they will squeeze every last ounce of power from the tech and utilise it to its full potential. Honestly, Ghost of Sparta still looks 10x better than 90% of the s**t on Android/iOS.

Back on topic, I must agree with others and say, Tearaway? Soul Sacrifice?
karkify 50

Postby BeansOnToast » 19 Jan 2013, 23:39

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon will probably be put back again. :roll:
BeansOnToast 29

Next