to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

DmC Devil May Cry review: Better than the devil you know

Your comments on our articles.

Ninja Theory and Capcom deliver a winning combo

Thus far, DmC has been defined by the caustic relationship between Ninja Theory and a vocal subset of hateful fans. At the epicentre of the controversy is a new look Dante; he's not the Dante these fans want, entirely because he doesn't look like the Dante they know. This is the fire smoke blowers are fanning to obscure the greater ambition, more fool them.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Fr33Kye » 14 Jan 2013, 09:14

f**k YES! I can't be sure till i play it myself but it sounds like everything i was hoping for. The enemies do look a tad uninspired when compared to the environments. I'm excited to read more of these reviews because i haven't been this excited for a game since infamous 2.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby El Mag » 14 Jan 2013, 09:27

One bad thing I've heard is the ending might be doing an Asura's Wrath in that the rest of it will be in the Vergil DLC. Hopefully it's not too abrupt.

How's the difficulty Tamoor? Playing Devil May Cry 3 HD recently has made me realise I might not be able to cut it anymore!
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Re: DmC Devil May Cry review: Better than the devil you know

Postby Queen Skillage » 14 Jan 2013, 09:45

What Mag is actually asking is "Will I get the platinum trophy out of it!"

:wink:
Queen Skillage 63
Global Moderator

Postby illage2 » 14 Jan 2013, 10:05

O_O ..... This game actually looks interesting ........

Hmmm I might have to get my hands on DMC.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Tamoor » 14 Jan 2013, 10:27

Hey all, I reviewed the game for us (as you probably know), ask any questions you have and I'll drop in regularly with answers.
Follow me on Twitter y'al: http://www.twitter.com/tamoorh
Watch me play stuff on Twitch in my pants: http://www.twitch.tv/tamoorh
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby Tamoor » 14 Jan 2013, 10:34

El Mag wrote:One bad thing I've heard is the ending might be doing an Asura's Wrath in that the rest of it will be in the Vergil DLC. Hopefully it's not too abrupt.

How's the difficulty Tamoor? Playing Devil May Cry 3 HD recently has made me realise I might not be able to cut it anymore!

I wouldn't say it does an Asura's Wrath, that game felt like it withheld the ending, this is a little different. I won't say too much because it might be a bit of a spoiler, but for fans of the series, think about the story of Dante and Vergil's relationship in the old games and you can probably figure out why it ends the way it does.

As for the difficulty, I don't think you'll have much problem. DMC3 is definitely MUCH harder, in fact it's notoriously for being unfairly difficult, stick it on normal setting (Devil Hunter) you won't find yourself struggling. It's a good way to enjoy the story and characters without getting your arse kicked every 20mins.

I mentioned it briefly towards the end of the review, but for series vets that like a challenge I'd recommend starting on Nephilm. The game actually says "Select this difficulty if you've played Devil May Cry before, and want the full DmC experience". After that try Son of Sparda difficulty too, it's got remixed waves, enemies and bosses have a bunch of different moves/patterns.
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby TemplarX » 14 Jan 2013, 11:21

Had the game arrive on Saturday (Woooo shopto!) and have blasted through half of it on Nephillim difficulty. While it IS different to the original DMC, there's enough in common for it to feel right while bringing something new. The new character of Dante actually feels less cheesy than the one from the first game.

It's a fantastic game so far, a worthy successor to the series and I really hope this does well as a sequel is well deserved!

As for trophies, they're all doable but some might require grinding. I'd say 6 or 7 out of ten for platinum difficulty.
PSN - ShadowMarshall

"Defenders of the Helghast dream, NOW IS OUR TIME!"
TemplarX 34

Postby born2play » 14 Jan 2013, 11:29

Only just realised that this is out tomorrow

Let's Rock Baby!!
Whoring trophies since 2008
born2play 31

Xbox Live: born2play82
PSN ID: born2play07

Postby mattdark » 14 Jan 2013, 11:45

El Mag wrote:One bad thing I've heard is the ending might be doing an Asura's Wrath in that the rest of it will be in the Vergil DLC. Hopefully it's not too abrupt.

From what Ive read on other sites, the default difficulty isnt too bad. Its not as punishing as the older games, but has enough to keep you feeling the combat is too easy. But as soon as you turn up the difficulty, they say it quickly matches the old games difficulty, enemies are stronger, even tough enemies from later in the game start to make early appearances.

Theyve even included what I think was called 'Hell is Hell' difficulty, which has the enemy difficulty at max, but also adds in that Dante can only take 1 hit...
Time to rock n' ruin!
PSN - MattDark86
360 - MattDarkZero
mattdark 50

PSN ID: MattDark86

Postby WingZeroSys » 14 Jan 2013, 12:00

I also got it saturday and finished it yesterday, it's a decent reboot but it pales in comparison to the originals but it's better than DMC 2.

Its got a decent story/backstory but the bosses are too easy and there's only one puzzle thoughout the game.

Bayonetta is still beats all of the DMC's/DmC imo but I think MG Rising Revengeance could become number one.
I'm no hero, never was, never will be, I'm just an old killer, hired to do a little wet work. sOLiD Snake, MGS4.
WingZeroSys 49

Postby Tamoor » 14 Jan 2013, 12:13

WingZeroSys wrote:I also got it saturday and finished it yesterday, it's a decent reboot but it pales in comparison to the originals but it's better than DMC 2.

Its got a decent story/backstory but the bosses are too easy and there's only one puzzle thoughout the game.

Bayonetta is still beats all of the DMC's/DmC imo but I think MG Rising Revengeance could become number one.

Stick it on a harder difficulty and play through again, in terms of challenge it feels much closer to DMC3. The enemies and bosses will have new behaviours and moves, so you won't get bored replaying.
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby Barry316 » 14 Jan 2013, 12:16

Has it got many unlockables when you finish the game, different costumes or anything like that?
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby funkyjack » 14 Jan 2013, 12:18

I really liked the first DMC, but not enjoyed any of the follow ups, but I think that's more to do with me, than it being the games fault - I just went off hack n slash.

I'm actually in the mood for this though. Especially if the difficulty has been toned down. Will get this on PC at some pointt his year I think.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby El Mag » 14 Jan 2013, 12:30

Cheers Tam and Matt.

Hopefully my busted arthritic hands will hold up. If not I'll go back to the good old blame it on the pad being broken excuse.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Tamoor » 14 Jan 2013, 12:41

Barry316 wrote:Has it got many unlockables when you finish the game, different costumes or anything like that?

It gives you one a new skin for Dante for finishing the game once, I won't describe it because it's a bit of a spoiler.

I played through the normal mode twice and am part way through the harder difficulty, It might unlock some new ones at the end but I can't be sure. I think most of the extra costumes and skins are tied to pre-order bonuses. If you're interested, I'd recommend sitting tight until they're all released as DLC in one complete skins pack. It'll happen eventually.

Might not be any costumes or anything, but the game does encourage you to replay by placing secret rooms and other collectibles in areas that you can only access once you've got all the weapons. Some of the rooms are good fun, will keep you entertained until the free Bloody Palace DLC mode is released.
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Next