In pictures: Nvidia's Shield handheld

Your comments on our articles.

New console can stream PC games to anywhere around the house

Chipmaker giant Nvidia has provided the first major shock at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas by revealing a new portable games console.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

In pictures: Nvidia's Shield handheld

Postby EvilDog77 » 07 Jan 2013, 11:08

Neat idea.

Looks a bit like those old fat Xbox controllers from days gone by.
EvilDog77 50

Re: In pictures: Nvidia's Shield handheld

Postby fatherofthenoo » 07 Jan 2013, 11:21

Cool, like Wii U does. I wonder if it is just PC games or if it can apply to roms and the like.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby Jingee » 07 Jan 2013, 11:45

How I'd imagine a Xbox handheld to look.
Jingee 51

Postby sakaspuds » 07 Jan 2013, 11:57

ok its early days but i think its a great idea for a company like nvidia to cut out the middle men and make there own console, it looks pretty damn good for a first attempt, and if it does indeed play games from steam over wifi anywhere in your house i'll buy one, i never used to be a handheld fan, but having been using iphones and ipads for a few years (with onlive and wii-u and such too) its a very handy way to pick up a game, unpause it play it for a while then pause it again while your pottering around cooking or what have you, and other people can still watch the tv, its a great idea, then when youre done doing stuff you can go back to your pc later and carry on where you left off
sakaspuds 42

Postby Drusus » 07 Jan 2013, 12:32

Left stick is in the wrong place. Pros don't like their thumbs so close together. Note to future controller makers, copy the 360 there's a reason it's the most popular.
Drusus 59

Postby EvilWaterman » 07 Jan 2013, 12:59

I'd trade my vita in for this! Where do I sign up
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 54

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby TheLastDodo » 07 Jan 2013, 13:26

Can't tell from those pictures how good it looks but if they've got Hawken to run on it then it must be a powerful bit of kit.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby toaplan » 07 Jan 2013, 15:06

Coming up: smooth N64 emulation on a handheld with analogue control? Possibly even Dreamcast emulation, depending on how powerful the Tegra 4 is. Much more powerful for sure than the Tegra 3 inside the Ouya, "up to 6 times more powerful" according to Nvidia marketing.

The HDMI output is another positive, but playing with the cable and the handheld screen attached would be a bit awkward. You should be able to use an extra wireless controller to play this thing on a HDTV like a normal console. Then it could be an Ouya-beater, if it isn't too expensive.
toaplan 74

Postby funkyjack » 07 Jan 2013, 15:47

sakaspuds wrote:ok its early days but i think its a great idea for a company like nvidia to cut out the middle men and make there own console, it looks pretty damn good for a first attempt, and if it does indeed play games from steam over wifi anywhere in your house i'll buy one, i never used to be a handheld fan, but having been using iphones and ipads for a few years (with onlive and wii-u and such too) its a very handy way to pick up a game, unpause it play it for a while then pause it again while your pottering around cooking or what have you, and other people can still watch the tv, its a great idea, then when youre done doing stuff you can go back to your pc later and carry on where you left off

My thoughts exactly.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby Chnibaoncvg » 07 Jan 2013, 17:04

If this does deliver android gaming with decent controls and more importantly pc streaming this will be an absolute winner for me. Of course build quality and price may change that but im genuinely looking forward to some reviews later in the year.
Chnibaoncvg 1
New user

Postby Madbrit2K5 » 07 Jan 2013, 18:50

Looks interesting but like all hardware it's nothing without good support and software.
Plus is there really space in the market for this? Not so sure, same can be said of Ouya and all the other android based hardware. Plus with the next gen consoles just round the corner?
Interesting stuff all the same, keeps us geeks happy :D
Madbrit2K5 28

Postby Ali_ » 07 Jan 2013, 20:57

Why is everyone so keen to bring Android gaming consoles to the market. Have they actually checked out the Android market? The games are bloody awful.
Ali_ 58

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 07 Jan 2013, 21:55

Drusus wrote:Left stick is in the wrong place. Pros don't like their thumbs so close together. Note to future controller makers, copy the 360 there's a reason it's the most popular.

I wish you'd stop calling gamers who prefer the sticks further away as the 'pros'
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby gmcb007 » 08 Jan 2013, 00:29

So what exactly is the USP?
Why would you stream your PC games in your home to this when you could just use the actual PC?
Is the Android market even good?
Why handheld? Why not cloud-based home console?
Surely they don't expect that design to work?
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby toaplan » 08 Jan 2013, 01:08

^ I think I'm going to want this for 3 reasons:

1) Emulators. It will be the most powerful open handheld platform yet and come with dual-analogue controls, meaning emulator heaven. Smooth N64 emulation on a handheld should finally become a reality. Plus, MAME android emulation would work much better than on any previous handheld and Dreamcast emulation could also be within reach.

2) Steam-streaming. My PC is in the living room, but it would be pretty neat to be able to stream Steam games to the bedroom. Bedtime NFS and NBA2K12... yes please. The 720p screen is reportedly fantastic and the wi-fi streaming is supposedly lag-free.

3) Android games with physical controls. The Android market still isn't as evolved as the IOS app store, but it does offer some excellent games already. The ones already available that will benefit enormously from the physical controls of the Nvidia Shield include Virtua Tennis, Nba Jam on Fire, Sonic 4 ep. 2 and GTA 3 & Vice City.

( 4) Nvidia = an awesome company )
toaplan 74

Next