to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

OPINION: 2013: The year of the console comeback

Your comments on our articles.

New systems will prove the naysayers and doom mongers wrong, writes Rob Crossley

The most alarming aspect of the so-called "death of the games console" is the number of articulate and intelligent industry professionals who subscribe to this viewpoint.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

OPINION: 2013: The year of the console comeback

Postby illage2 » 02 Jan 2013, 15:38

Agree 90% with this article. I only disagree with the pay to .... I mean free to play business model.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: OPINION: 2013: The year of the console comeback

Postby RoOhDiNi » 02 Jan 2013, 16:20

"It must embrace new models - and yes, especially free-to-play and cloud gaming - instead of continually pretending these don't exist."

You just made me throw up :|
RoOhDiNi 47

Postby RoOhDiNi » 02 Jan 2013, 16:35

I think what the industry truly needs in order to create sustainable value in a digital market is to allow us consumers to trade our used licenses in a convenient and transparent way. That's what really needs to change. People should stop holding out for steam sales, and be encouraged to buy new IP at premium prices again. That's what fosters innovation and quality.

Microtransactions devalue Software by creating the impression of your package being inconsistent/incomplete - Psychological traps built around the idea of desensitizing consumer's value perception.
RoOhDiNi 47

Postby richomack360 » 02 Jan 2013, 17:06

RoOhDiNi wrote:"It must embrace new models - and yes, especially free-to-play and cloud gaming - instead of continually pretending these don't exist."

You just made me throw up :|

I think we need some sort of short sighted witch hunt to sort this problem out, I will call the boys in who campaigned against ME3's ending and you get the flaming stakes, pitchforks and the chants going (and flaming steaks if we get hungry)

Don't get me wrong, I cannot stand pay-to-win gaming, its cash orientated skullduggery of the highest order, but if people want it then it will be provided for them.

For me, I think this next cycle of consoles will be the first that I don't actually get at launch. just for the sheer fact my enjoyment of the industry has near enough gone - championed by the "meh" and loud exhale I produced when I played the latest installment in my beloved Halo saga.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby sh4dow83 » 02 Jan 2013, 17:08

Personally, I hope that this will be an Atari 2600 moment. Console manufacturers have been slacking off for far too long ([edit]ironically, I only read that article about metacritic after I wrote this. Yup, there's a reason why I switched to metacritic from IGN/GT and others a couple of years ago[/edit]) and it's time for a radically different era, led by new players.
Last edited by sh4dow83 on 02 Jan 2013, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
sh4dow83 42

Postby richomack360 » 02 Jan 2013, 17:18

sh4dow83 wrote:Personally, I hope that this will be an Atari 2600 moment. Console manufacturers have been slacking off for far too long and it's time for a radically different era, led by new players.

Such as ? We will see Richard Branson release the V-Box ? Or will Alan Sugar finally produce an Amstrad that is one step up from a doorstop ? (even though I loved playing Dizzy and Solomon's Key on it)

You do realise that console manufacturers have to cater for a broader spectrum than those that want a high spec gaming PC ?

For me, its the devs that are slacking. Less grit more wit please.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby sh4dow83 » 02 Jan 2013, 18:06

richomack360 wrote:You do realise that console manufacturers have to cater for a broader spectrum than those that want a high spec gaming PC ?

I bet that's just what people said back then (well... not EXACTLY but the gist of it. They did after all promote the Atari 7800 with cheap game prices, which they must have known doesn't matter that much to passionate gamers), to discourage from hardware progression.
sh4dow83 42

Postby ilovenewtech » 02 Jan 2013, 19:21

Hi super awesome fellow forum posters hope you are all enjoying 2013.

There is no doubt that the console industry is not evolving fast enough. It must embrace new models - and yes, especially free-to-play and cloud gaming - instead of continually pretending these don't exist.

I was with Mr. Rob Crossley up until he made this comment. If the consumers do not want it the "industry" won't have to accept anything of the sort. The general feeling I get from sites and forums like the totally awesome CVG and from other people I talk too is that for the vast majority of gamers they do not like or want "free to play/pay to win" and cloud gaming where you do not own your games collection in any shape or form on any platform to be honest.

Get over it the models sucks.

Go team get over it the models sucks yeah!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Go team super awesome 2013 with awesome cake and ice cold fizzy pop for everybody yeah!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 55

Postby damoxuk » 02 Jan 2013, 20:00

OMG a postive article about the Future of Consoles? That's a new one - makes a change from the endless cynicism. :)

I agree and like stonecold all bar f2p crapfest.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby beastie » 02 Jan 2013, 20:07

We will see when the new consoles come out, but if they are going for the casual gamer market, with looking to having a entertainment hub for movies and music etc, and not instead bringing out a beast of a machine, then I think many gamers will pass.

But with console games costing more and more, £50 soon enough no doubt, and PC's getting better for cheaper, and with the ability to buy games on steam sales for 75%off.

Also what console game exclusives are there left that sell consoles, who these days would buy a new console just for the next Halo?

PC's are the way forward, unless the next gen can compete with top end PC's of today.

Also I think lots of gamers who own only consoles can see that we are getting shafted, games like Battlefield 3 look poor on the consoles, really bad texture pop in on Borderlands2, FarCry3 looks awful on the Xbox, and we will have the same problems for the last couple of years of the next gen no doubt.

So £500 on a PC, with the ability to upgrade, and games for a few quid.

Or £500 for a console , where the games cost £50 each, and will be out of date a few years before the next gen is available.
beastie 52

Postby luttman23 » 02 Jan 2013, 20:14

New consoles might be announced this year but they won't be out until it's nearly over, if not 2014. Meanwhile Steam has got 'Big Picture Mode' and many games have game-pad support*, games are cheaper on the PC and a decent gaming PC is pretty cheap these days, so I think 2013 is really going to be the year of the PC.

*if you haven't got a 360 pad but you do have a PS pad to plug in, try the MotionJoy Gamepad Tool, it will emulate the 360 pad for you and it's free!
Those that know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories. -Polybius
luttman23 46

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby sonic_uk » 02 Jan 2013, 21:11

There is no doubt that the console industry is not evolving fast enough. It must embrace new models - and yes, especially free-to-play and cloud gaming - instead of continually pretending these don't exist.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Did I just read that on here? I've just lost all respect for you Cvg.

If you seriously think gamers want, need or are about to embrace Pay-To-Win, and cloud vapour gaming (that can vapourize your paid-for games at any time, without warning, with no way of you getting them back if the servers are shut down, which they inevitably will be one day) you really don't know your audience and that really worries me. I would have thought a website such as yourself would be the very ones sticking up for gamers and therfore consumers rights, not actively advocating we have them taken away (as if we gamers aren't already fleeced enough, without adding to the problem).

Oh for the record, just to be clear, incase there is any doubt on my position here, my stance on this issue is as follows...

"Cloud gaming" and Pay-To-win can f*** off.

That is all.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 55

Postby The_KFD_Case » 03 Jan 2013, 00:05

RoOhDiNi wrote:I think what the industry truly needs in order to create sustainable value in a digital market is to allow us consumers to trade our used licenses in a convenient and transparent way. That's what really needs to change. People should stop holding out for steam sales, and be encouraged to buy new IP at premium prices again. That's what fosters innovation and quality.

Microtransactions devalue Software by creating the impression of your package being inconsistent/incomplete - Psychological traps built around the idea of desensitizing consumer's value perception.

Absolutely this! I am one of those individuals you refer to in regards to holding out for steeply discounted Steam sales. I consider Steam a glorified games rental service (I don't own a physical product nor am I able to re-sell digital game purchases), thus I resolutely refuse to pay anything approaching full retail price. (That many retail versions of the same games are often cheaper to buy - including postage - only adds insult to injury!)

There was a ruling in 2012 by the European Court of Justice that dictates that all European Steam users have to be granted the ability to sell their purchased titles from Steam (and presumably other digital distributors as well). It is only fitting and beyond high time that at least one high profile court of law recognizes and supports long established customer rights in a technological field that continues to outpace various legal systems.

P.S. Cloud storage and gaming may have its uses, however, to present it as the main future of both gaming and other data related matters is sheer folly. For starters the security is laughable at best and there is way too much at stake to embrace such a system fully.

Also, if the "free-to-play" (i.e. pay-to-play) model become the main modus operandi of gaming, I shall with continuing decreasing frequency buy games upon release and at-or-near full price.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby alan666 » 03 Jan 2013, 01:26

Depends on the Wii U i suppose then because the X720 will not be out till December at the earliest & the PS4 will be Summer 2014 earliest.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Sixty9Eyes » 03 Jan 2013, 10:52

Sadly it sound like that console owners are trapped in the early 2000's. i think you all need to look towards PC gaming and see how its innovating and realize that most people are flocking towards it because its making peoples lives easier. its sad but i am one of those people who never ever buys my games in stores or anything for that matter.
Sixty9Eyes 23

Next