to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

OPINION: 'Corporate jargon is enslaving the way we think abo

Your comments on our articles.

Steve Williams says drop the 'I'm a grownup' corporate rubbish

These are my last words. There's something I hate, and it's getting worse. It's marketing speak. Corporate jargon. Multisyllabic gobbledegook. It's enslaving the way we think about games, and it makes me want to cleanse every last motherfacilitator in the room.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby eastldn » 29 Dec 2012, 13:15

he internet is here and now, and print will never again be a mass media.

stopped reading here
eastldn 43

Postby alan666 » 29 Dec 2012, 13:18

erm

I'm sick of games with 'adult' themes

Then go back to playing PacMan & stop whining like a child.

He has a problem with these issues & then writes a article about them using the very same medium to complain about them, he is to dumb to realise that he is part of the problem.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
PSN ID: B1G_A1AN
Wii Code: Wii U + B1G_A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Re: OPINION: 'Corporate jargon is enslaving the way we think

Postby Balladeer » 29 Dec 2012, 13:34

eastldn wrote:
he internet is here and now, and print will never again be a mass media.

stopped reading here

He's right though. At least in the world of videogames.

We seem to have two different points in this article. The first is technical jargon infesting the Internet - well, you only have to look at any article talking about console power to notice that. The second is how things keep getting "darker and grittier". I find this deeply annoying, and it's a main reason I play Nintendo games which don't do that.

So in stark contrast to the first two comments, I actually agree with this opinion. However, it's interesting that the article complains about "corporate jargon" when it's on CVG, the website for the discerning gamer-financier.
The GNamer Forum: for civilised Nintendo discussion, podcasts, and snack reviews.
Balladeer 76

Postby budge » 29 Dec 2012, 15:12

I was gonna say what Balladeer said in his last sentence.

You'd better get used to it, Steve. ;)
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby Ludakriss » 29 Dec 2012, 17:40

I tried to see your name somewhere (writer of article).

Just couldn't find it. And I call myself an RPG enthusiast O_O.

Either way. Thank you for writing this. It was a great read. I had been feeling the same quite a long time now.

Peace & Good Gaming.
Ludakriss 27

Postby Moriarty_Jones » 29 Dec 2012, 17:50

I completely agree with Steve Williams. The purveyors of the above mentioned shite remind me very much of the 'suits' that are a feckin plague on the film industry. They stroke their little demographic charts, and have carnal relations with their bidniz projections and then opine that THEY are the ones that KNOW what 'the consumer/film-goer/gamer really wants. I have found the vacuous guff that these types have spouted for some time to be slowly eating away at the real fun that games can and should provide, even to the point where other gamers begin to sound like they also drink from the same pigs trough of 'wisdom' . They in turn suck all the enjoyment and discovery out of game when they speak of it in terms only a marketing flake could be enthused by, why they feel the need to somehow legitimize gaming as a pastime, I do not know.

This approach has an unholy trickle down effect in my opinion. Just look at the imagination, or lack of that goes into game offerings, look at the end result on the screen. To me it becomes clear that those creating the game are so busy jumping through hoops to tick the boxes that the aforementioned marketing clowns evangelize that end result is nothing but a load of formulaic, seen it all before, drivel.

Lets have less marketing monkeys and more game enthusiasts, speaking plain English please. Concentrate on making a game enjoyable, fresh, innovative and appealing to gamers and leave the 'devils speech' to industry wannabes.
Moriarty_Jones 3
New user

Postby toaplan » 29 Dec 2012, 19:12

A "suit" from the corporate HQ decided to close down Xbox World magazine, so here's a final anti-corporate rant by a disappointed ex-editor?

I guess I'm one of those gamer-financier types mentioned by Balladeer that frequent this site (I have an academic business degree), so I don't see anything wrong with borrowing and using a few terms from the world of business. With my background I probably also tend to be fairly understanding of the "evil" business practices of video game companies, although as a gamer I can be critical of things like the annual sequels or any plans of a used-games block, even if they made sense from a business standpoint.

The word "content", for example, is a handy word I sometimes use. Instead of talking about how Modern Warfare 3 "has many game modes, a relatively lengthy campaign, DLC expansions and two modes in particular that can provide tens or even hundreds of hours of entertainment: survival and multiplayer"... I can just say that the game has a lot of "content", which is much faster and convenient...

"IP" is another useful and ultra-compact expression and I can't even think of a substitute for it right away. It's like one of those French expressions that are used in English, like "Film noir", "Femme fatale", "Avant-garde" etc. that's become so ingrained it's difficult to even think of a substitute.

I've talked about "the industry", sales figures, the financial situations of companies (Sony's in particular). It would be a misunderstanding to interpret that as "trying to legitimize a hobby" or "being an industry wannabe" (although every gamer imo is a part of the larger "industry"). I simply care about the health and state of the games industry, which has played such an important part in my life ever since I was a child. I'd like to see a thriving and diverse games industry and also a turnaround of Sony's unfortunate situation. If I discuss financials in a post, I'm probably just trying to post something more helpful than the usual "OMG, Sony is going bankrupt!".

As for complaints about multisyllabic, "pompous" and long-winded writing... I'm guessing that the writer isn't a fan of Edge Magazine, which has done a great job over the years to raise the level of discourse (a fancy word that can make a bull see red) about video games. I know there are a lot of people who want games to be just simple fun, but I happen to be one of the believers in "the art of video games" and think that at least some games can be discussed in the same way and terms as the other visual arts.

And finally, I've been a fan of the "gritty" and "dark" visual style for a long time. I think ever since I first read Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year one and other seminal comics in the '80s. Without gritty and dark, Batman and Bond movies would never have escaped the colourful, silly and campy style of the Adam West and Roger Moore eras... Still, a visual style can be overused and I certainly wouldn't want every game to be gritty and dark. Much like I wouldn't want every game to be all arty and philosophical, just some, for the sake of variety.
toaplan 72

Postby Moriarty_Jones » 29 Dec 2012, 23:14

Firstly, Seasons Greetings to you toaplan,

I think the problem is, (like in so many other arenas), 'corporate speak' becomes so all-pervasive that suddenly we are speaking two different languages. And I would venture that taken to the extreme, we end up having to listen to commentors from the Gaming Industry sounding like some unearthly hybrid of David Brent and Peter Moore. Yes of course employees in the industry have their own terminologies, expressions and are free to use them. I myself came from an academic arts background ( I am the proud owner of a degree also), yet I later chose to enter the construction industry, ( for my sins), the latter providing me with an earthy vocabulary which I regularly fall back on :). But the problem with 'CorpSpeak' is, it can sound terribly self-important and out of touch with 'the customer'.

Its heartening to hear that, unlike so many other shekel orientated business types, you truly care about the state of the games industry, I wish there were more like you if that is the case. But, without naming names, I see way too many examples of corporate ideologies taking the stage at the expense of just pure common sense, and plain talking. And in turn this approach goes beyond the tainting of the written/spoken word, imo it also stifles creativity and innovation.

Like in the film industry we find those of a more business bent, are obsessed with the latest buzzword, the latest fad, the next blockbuster in their rabid pursuit of the next shekel. Despite this, both the film and games industry are littered with epic failures on a biblical scale, (financial wise), where for all their adhering to whatever 'business models/ doctrines' are deemed gospel that particular year, corporate types are left more than a little red-faced when the tills don't chime with the gleeful sound of punters being parted with their hard-earned.

We seem to have to suffer this intrusion increasingly in gaming, and I find it annoying as it encroaches upon the product that sits upon the shelves, (or online) available for digital download if you'd prefer. I too share your love of the 'art of video games' but all I am saying is, the 'art' in that sentence is the preserve of those that wield the creative skills, not those wielding CorpSpeak.

yours sincerely and without malice,

Moriarty.
Moriarty_Jones 3
New user

Postby getup2k » 30 Dec 2012, 01:49

Good article - I also think the proliferation of the word 'content' sums up a modern attitude toward games, where there is less emphasis on how distinguished games are / can be.
getup2k 45

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 30 Dec 2012, 02:56

This was always going to be the eventual destiny of games, after decades of playing a distant fiddle to other entertainment genres which have long used these terms, gaming is argubably THE entertainment medium of note today so it is perfectly natural, in my view, that corporate terminology (long used before the internet- e.g SKU) would become commonplace. Couple this with the fact that gaming now draws the attention of older people (predominantly 20-35) too and there is little surprise that the terminology and short-cuts therein exist in this soundbite, social media driven word.

And you don't need to read the FT to know that, although it is far more worthwhile than reading the Sun :mrgreen:

Currently own: PS4, PS3, PS2, Vita, Wii, Xbox 360, NES, SNES, Megadrive
KK-Headcharge78 60

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Kroswind » 30 Dec 2012, 04:06

I'm glad someone finally pointed this out and called them out on their bullshit. I agree with you accept for the reason. I dont think its out of fear. I think its more out of greed than anything. Games dont appeal to gamers as much anymore as they do investors. At least thats the way corporations see it. Any time a corporation gets involved, everything begins to fall apart. I think these dickheads are so afraid of losing investors and profits that they have to spew their numbers and financial earnings in every article just to say "we're successful, now give us more money". At the end of the day, every corporate scam leads back to one thing, and thats money. Thats why we see so many marketing scams these days. Marketing IS a scam. Thats all its ever been, and ever will be.

Think about it. If their games were truly that great and enjoyable to play, why would they have to try and convince you they're the best on the market? The game would speak for itself if that were the case. Just look at some recent games like Minecraft that were successful. That games only advertising was word of mouth. Mojang didnt spend millions on advertising. They didnt have to, they had a good product. But far to often these days, corporations spend multitudes more on advertising than they do the actual product. Why spend thousands making a good product when you can half ass the product and out right lie to people, and get idiots to buy your product because of a few loaded words on TV.

"Hey, we have this amazing new product here thats never been done before (even though its a blatant rip off of another product), this amazing product is valued at a whopping $50, but we'll give it to you for $19.99, and if you BUY NOW, we'll throw in a second for free". Statements like that should throw up some major red flags with anyone, but sadly it doesnt with most people. If they're giving you TWO of them, for less than half the price of one, that should tell you, that products NOT WORTH 50 BUCKS. Which means they're lying to you in the first place. They're making it sound like an amazing deal to get you to buy something you either dont need, or something thats really an inferior product for the price of a good product. I feel the need to point this out because people simply dont realize how bad they're getting scammed on everything these days. Not to mention, its gotten even worse because of the recession, even though the recession is basically a corporate problem. But they need to keep up the illusion that "you need to buy more to keep our economy going". Its all a ridiculous excuse.

I think we'd have less issues if more people would pay attention and call out corporations on bullshit like this. Theres no accountability with these big companies, and thats why we're in this mess. But no, its all hidden behind the guise of "business". Somehow, lying and cheating passes for legitimate business these days as long as you're wearing a suit. If we held these companies accountable for their actions, they'd either have to shape up or shut down. Its all done in the name of profits. But the problem is, those profits are made at our expense.

I like how you also point out the fact that because people read these articles, they automatically think they're marketing and corporate experts. Im sure I'll get a ton of replies defending corporations and their schemes, but I could really care less, because you're right. People only THINK they're experts and they're not, and im sure the people who will reply to this will just be talking out of their ass like everyone else. Heaven forbid you call out corporations and "profiteering" in this day and age. But to end on a happier note, I think a lot more people are starting to realize this. I think thats why indie developers have gotten so popular recently, because as others have said, these corporations stifle creativity and innovation. Just look at mmos if you dont believe me. Indie developers are more free to do whatever they wish, and I think we'll see a lot more small time studios pop up in the next few years. People will finally start realizing that they dont need a corporation to be successful. You have skills and abilities, so use those to do what YOU want to do. Dont just work for someone elses greed. You dont need a corporation to have quality things, especially games. Too many people think corporations = quality, and thats not always the case. Glad to see someone else actually cares about this as much as I do.
Kroswind 18
New user

Postby kirankara » 30 Dec 2012, 12:07

Balladeer wrote:

We seem to have two different points in this article. The first is technical jargon infesting the Internet - well, you only have to look at any article talking about console power to notice that. The second is how things keep getting "darker and grittier". I find this deeply annoying, and it's a main reason I play Nintendo games which don't do that.

So in stark contrast to the first two comments, I actually agree with this opinion. However, it's interesting that the article complains about "corporate jargon" when it's on CVG, the website for the discerning gamer-financier.

I agree and disagree simultaneously. As I've grown up there's also an aspect of me that likes grown up games. In same way that I stopped watching dumb action flicks as teen, and wanted stories with more depth and could really relate to and has real points to discuss, similarly with games, I sometimes like more these days, but at sang be time, I still love Disney animated films and like a light hearted comedy as well.
So, there's room for both IMO, and like the writer of article and yourself, I don't see why everything has to go dark. It's like every developer in world saw batman begins and decided that's what they had to do.
GTA 4 for example lost it's charm and fun IMO. I could laugh at the characters in previous gta's and it was kinda amusing having this obnoxious characters as a " hero", as the games were very tongue in cheek, but the minute you start making it more grown up, you're asking me to relate to these characters, and that's not going to happen, as the protagonist is an utter t**t.
They also made game play feel more sterile IMO
kirankara 56

Postby kirankara » 30 Dec 2012, 12:08

Balladeer wrote:

I agree and disagree simultaneously. As I've grown up there's also an aspect of me that likes grown up games. In same way that I stopped watching dumb action flicks as teen, and wanted stories with more depth and could really relate to and has real points to discuss, similarly with games, I sometimes like more these days, but at sang be time, I still love Disney animated films and like a light hearted comedy as well.
So, there's room for both IMO, and like the writer of article and yourself, I don't see why everything has to go dark. It's like every developer in world saw batman begins and decided that's what they had to do.
GTA 4 for example lost it's charm and fun IMO. I could laugh at the characters in previous gta's and it was kinda amusing having this obnoxious characters as a " hero", as the games were very tongue in cheek, but the minute you start making it more grown up, you're asking me to relate to these characters, and that's not going to happen, as the protagonist is an utter t**t.
They also made game play feel more sterile IMO
kirankara 56

Postby Balladeer » 30 Dec 2012, 13:28

There's a big difference between "more adult" and "grittier", I feel. I agree that there's a place more depth and story in stories, but that needn't come at the expense of charm and colour. It's funny that you mention Disney, because I think Pixar films in particular manage to get that balance just right. (Although obviously they're films, not games.)

Of course, personal choice shouldn't dictate an industry, and there's a place for grittier games too; but it's always a sad story when a franchise that was "fun" becomes "gritty". I'd rather see new gritty franchises which I could then ignore at leisure, allowing old IPs to maintain their charm.
The GNamer Forum: for civilised Nintendo discussion, podcasts, and snack reviews.
Balladeer 76

Postby kirankara » 30 Dec 2012, 14:31

Balladeer wrote:There's a big difference between "more adult" and "grittier", I feel. I agree that there's a place more depth and story in stories, but that needn't come at the expense of charm and colour. It's funny that you mention Disney, because I think Pixar films in particular manage to get that balance just right. (Although obviously they're films, not games.)

Of course, personal choice shouldn't dictate an industry, and there's a place for grittier games too; but it's always a sad story when a franchise that was "fun" becomes "gritty". I'd rather see new gritty franchises which I could then ignore at leisure, allowing old IPs to maintain their charm.

All depends on franchise I guess. If a game is colourful and humorous originally, then to destroy that with turning it a serious and grey/brown game is just daft IMO, as it ignores everything that made people attracted to game in first place, but if a game evolves from a game , which allows for characters, and world of game to support a more gritty story, I'm OK with that.
I know film analogy isn't perfect, but Batman worked going from a cartoon esque film to a darker, grittier story.
For me tomb raider suits the gritty move for example, and IMO needs it, as the stories and characters lacked any depth, but yeah I like you're thinking about them exploring new franchises with these themes, but industry is gutless, and would rather churn out sequels with rehashed and recognised characters etc
kirankara 56

Next