to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Opinion: 'Sony should care more about their heritage'

Your comments on our articles.

Duncan Harris laments the amnesia of Sony...

One of the first things I tried when firing up my new Vita was to buy, for the third time, a copy of the PSP game Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins. That series has been a loyal companion since I picked up the famous Commodore 64 port of the original coin-op back in the '80s. I've bought 'em all.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Opinion: 'Sony should care more about their heritage'

Postby TheVitaLounge » 27 Dec 2012, 18:33

Backwards compatabilty is great and all that.

But what happned to buying a system for the games on that system? Or is this another way of trying to take something else as a fault of the Vita?
Click to visit the fastest growing Vita news and reviews site! Help us grow, and make suggestions!
TheVitaLounge 5
New user

Re: Opinion: 'Sony should care more about their heritage'

Postby Imaduck » 27 Dec 2012, 18:49

All the consoles need to get closer to their roots. They're all too alike these days, no character.
Imaduck 58

Postby theideal » 27 Dec 2012, 18:55

Digital BC/emulation/rights management is a whole different can of worms to hardware BC. If the Vita had a UMD drive and all of the relevent PSP hardware and some games still didn't work (which would be pretty unlikely) then your problem would be with Sony. As it is, Sony have provided the tools and devs need to alter their code in some cases, in others they just need to agree to list them for Vita. Sony don't have the right to do that without permission.

Ghouls and Ghosts is Capcom, Outrun is Sega and RR in Namco, your problem, with those games you mentioned, is with Capcom, Sega and Namco, not Sony.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Postby masterchop » 27 Dec 2012, 19:18

Shocking news flash. Someone puts down the vita for another unnecessary reason.

How about Nintendo selling game and watch games for ludicrous prices you cretin!
masterchop 42

Postby alan666 » 27 Dec 2012, 19:37

Fed up of all these old games being released on new consoles, the 3DS is just the same :x

Wouldn't mind OutRun though on the 3DS.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby stealth » 27 Dec 2012, 21:33

why would sony care about older third party games when they killed all there older ips?
stealth 47

Postby budge » 27 Dec 2012, 22:29

No mention of how the super duper amazing iPhones are so much better at gaming? Surprising.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Sangor » 27 Dec 2012, 22:52

theideal wrote:Ghouls and Ghosts is Capcom, Outrun is Sega and RR in Namco, your problem, with those games you mentioned, is with Capcom, Sega and Namco, not Sony.

Spot on, now if this feature was a rant about SCEE then I would agree wholeheartedly.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Postby dwhlufc » 27 Dec 2012, 23:19

theideal wrote:Digital BC/emulation/rights management is a whole different can of worms to hardware BC. If the Vita had a UMD drive and all of the relevent PSP hardware and some games still didn't work (which would be pretty unlikely) then your problem would be with Sony. As it is, Sony have provided the tools and devs need to alter their code in some cases, in others they just need to agree to list them for Vita. Sony don't have the right to do that without permission.

Ghouls and Ghosts is Capcom, Outrun is Sega and RR in Namco, your problem, with those games you mentioned, is with Capcom, Sega and Namco, not Sony.

I read the article and you've pretty much summed up what I was about to post.
dwhlufc 76

Postby razors edge » 28 Dec 2012, 10:49

Seems like there are an awful lot of messy 'features' popping out of the woodwork this Christmas.

'Tis the season to be folly.
razors edge 43

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 28 Dec 2012, 11:57

masterchop wrote:Shocking news flash. Someone puts down the vita for another unnecessary reason.

How about Nintendo selling game and watch games for ludicrous prices you cretin!

Yeah but i can play all my gamecube games on my wii, i can play all my ds games on my 3ds. I could play my GBA games on my ds.

More than that the VC on both the 3ds and wii eshop has brought back some absolute classics. The wii is a retro gamers dream machine. It doesn't just have perfect ports of Nintendos back catalogue, it also does of ever other major 8 and 16bit system.

Its clear that nintendo care about their heritage and gamings in general.

Sure the game and watch games are a little on the steep side. But they're there and playable. Which is kind of the point.

Also try and buy a game & watch. You wont find a working one for less than £50, maybe more depending on the game.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby ricflair » 28 Dec 2012, 12:09

Imaduck wrote:All the consoles need to get closer to their roots. They're all too alike these days, no character.

I agree, but that seems to be what everyone wants. When Nintendo put the emphasis on stuff that might change the way people play instead of graphics, for example, they get untold amounts of s**t from 'gamers'. I'm not saying they shouldn't be criticised for lack of powe etc, but people don't seem to like 'different', especially gamers.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 29 Dec 2012, 02:25

I don't think Sony are 'as good' as MS in shouting about their exclusives/heritage which is pretty crap considering the Sony heritage goes back a lot further which is a shame as there was a time when Sony had the stranglehold on the market.
KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Dalaeck » 31 Dec 2012, 07:08

Sony doesn't actually own any of the games you associate with sony. They're not part of their heritage, there is no sony heritage. The list of games sony actualy owns is very very small. They can't manage a competent brawl style game because they simply don't have the intellectual property. What you're seeing is a structural problem in a company that was built around making walkmans, that is to say they don't make content. They can buy it, but that's expensive and they rarely do.
Dalaeck 42

Postby D3Seeker » 01 Jan 2013, 02:13

I fully agree with this.
D3Seeker 4
New user

Next